Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#613100 17/09/17 07:44 AM
C
OP Offline
C
I was so hopeful this time around. They said they would make the editor more accessible. Better tutorials, better everything to make it at least closer akin to the NWN toolkit.

However the editor is just as complex as it has always been. Nothing is intuitive, thousand editors, sub menus, panels etc... It is very powerful I give you that and given enough time you could probably recreate the entire game of D:OS in it. However this is starting to come in the area of "drupal" software. There is a saying in Belgium , 'The only people that know how to write drupal are those that made drupal'. Larian being a Gent company should have heard of this saying !

I really hope that either this time around the community steps up and writes tons of tutorials "WRITTEN not youtube !" or this editor will go the ways as the old editor. The few basic features I had expected aren't in and the filetypes are not documented again. I believe a lot of it has unchanged though since the PAK extractor norbyte made still works. Still I dread having to go write another greyscale map importer, something that should be basic for a 3D editor, at least I would think that to be basic frown

Here is hoping for some great custom adventures. I was hoping to recreate a simple D&D adventure, but after just a few hours in the toolkit, I just can't ... I have a real job too and it takes to much time to do even a simple thing as create a house and put some furniture in, and we haven't crossed sculpting and texturing a terrain yet frown

end rant ... needed to get that out for a moment

apprentice
apprentice
http://larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=611835#Post611835

They are working on a wiki page with written tutorials, the community can post tutorials aswell.

And to be honest I think that there is no such thing as an easy engine editor to create games.

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by Nonex
http://larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=611835#Post611835

They are working on a wiki page with written tutorials, the community can post tutorials aswell.

And to be honest I think that there is no such thing as an easy engine editor to create games.

NWN 1 toolset has set the benchmark, nobody has ever come close to an easy way to create your own adventures. NWN 2 even dropped the ball on that one, although it was still ten times easier then this one.

The biggest problem they have with this engine is UIX. It lacks badly

journeyman
journeyman
To be fair, the editor/game itself just came out and a lot of information is not quite there yet. I also prefer reading tutorials and not watching videos.

Last edited by Rasikko; 17/09/17 09:01 AM.
addict
addict
Some very bad news :-(

Un chemin de 1000 lieues commence par un premier pas.

Project:
Steam workshop Frontiere
F
stranger
stranger
F
In my opinion NWN1 editor was super easy to use because it was all prefab tilesets, so constructing maps was super fast but you were also limited to either the tilesets in box, or the ones others developed. I always felt hindered by what was possible in that toolset because of that.

With NWN2 (and D:OS) the editors were so buggy that I had a real challenge even being able to edit anything in addition to being super complex.

My sense is that what is different this time is that a) there is a stable toolset out now, with the launch of the game, b) has steam integration for publishing (which will hopefully lead to a good community and lots of mod sharing, which we had with NWN1 at NWVault), c) there is an effort to get at least some basic documentation up on a wiki.

It is my sincere hope that we, as a community, embrace D:OS2 and it's editor and work together by collaborating, sharing our experiences, and as the users build that community which will lead to a robust gaming environment for years to come (a la NWN1).

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
It's not as hard as you think it is and they did make it MUCH easier. I can't list everything you had to do manually to set up a simple module that you no longer have to do. They vastly improved the editor and I am grateful it isn't dumbed down as that would limit the possibilities. Just watch the video tutorials for the old editor and this one is pretty similar when it comes to the basics.

If it was like nwn every map would look the same and bore me to tears to explore. Wouldn't be fun creating maps either, cause you wouldn't be able to paint whatever you can conceive in your mind as you c ad n with this editor.

Last edited by Shapeshifter777; 17/09/17 02:01 PM.

GMAddon1: Adds almost every single monster and NPC from the main campaign into GM mode, plus a few large custom maps to use in GM mode.
stranger
stranger
It's definitely not that bad once you get the ball rolling! Within 12 hours of starting, I had already created a small village to use.
If you would like a tutorial on all of the basics, I recorded my 'Let's learn' stream for everyone.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/175333523

I will be doing more streams almost daily to work on my project in the toolset and help people learn!
You're welcome to ask as many questions as you want to so we can get more content creators out there. =D

apprentice
apprentice
Sharing all the knowledge and information we can is the key if we want make something great with all this. I'm an artist myself and without all the people out there showing and sharing all they know, I would never have learned everything I know today.

I really think they have some good tools there, and for obvisous reasons they are not gonna give us the full-engine capabilities. We don't need anything like open source code (we are not gonna create new games here), all we need is support from devs, documentation and tools.

I'm excited to see what we can do as a community, I'm a really big supporter of team work.

apprentice
apprentice
Yeah, I am currently trying to create some Custom NPCs, but it is difficult to be sure, but I cant say the same for the first games Toolkit, one look at that and I just ran away

old hand
old hand
I disagree and think that they have learned a lot. I don't expect a game of this quality and complexity to come with a toolset like NWN1. If someone released a game like that today, I doubt it would make the money back that would be required to create something like it. For better or worse, expectations are higher for graphics and other gameplay features. Given what DOS:2 can do, this editor is quite remarkable in its balance for accessibility and flexibility.

That said, Larian have made huge improvements in being able to do most things from within the editor. Stats editing, dialogs, journal maintenance, and several other areas have received huge quality of life improvements. They take a little time to learn, but once a development flow is established, it begins to move along nicely.

In addition, Larian had an early access period where they paid to have modders come visit their studio and provide feedback. They have created a nice infrastructure for building up a knowledge base, and we have already seen them here posting a lot to help the community get going. The tools were practically available on day one and we see way better traction at this point than DOS1 ever did. Larian have learned and accomplished a lot. While there is always room for improvement, let's give them the proper credit that is their due.

DOS2 Mods: Happily Emmie After and The Noisy Crypt

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Festivus
In my opinion NWN1 editor was super easy to use because it was all prefab tilesets, so constructing maps was super fast but you were also limited to either the tilesets in box, or the ones others developed. I always felt hindered by what was possible in that toolset because of that.

With NWN2 (and D:OS) the editors were so buggy that I had a real challenge even being able to edit anything in addition to being super complex.

My sense is that what is different this time is that a) there is a stable toolset out now, with the launch of the game, b) has steam integration for publishing (which will hopefully lead to a good community and lots of mod sharing, which we had with NWN1 at NWVault).

a) Stabilty is great
b) This is awful, when GOG owners can't even use those mods

Far from leading to a good community, Steam Workshop divides communitieas, even when it's a Steam exclusive game, like Skyrim, the first Workhop game.

It has no mod management features, and is nothing but a glorified downloader of files to a specific folder.

All that's incidental, when compared to the fact DOS2 isn't a Steam Exclusive.
When a section of the owners can't even use Steam Workshop, integrating that walled garden is a huge roadblock to building a cohesive community. We are starting with two.

One open to all types of mods, and users, hosted independantly mostly on Nexus Mods, but anywhere is possible.

The other limited by the restrictions of the Workshop requirement for prepackaged mods, and only available to ownwers on Steam.

This was, in my opinion, another decisive factor in the small size of DOS1/EE modding scene.
One being repeated again.

G
apprentice
apprentice
G
NWN and NWN2 were tile based. That simplifies things a whole lot. Skyrim's editor was more complex than NWN's as well for this reason.

So far the table based editing of Stats is ok, I would have preferred a pop-up window to click to add Skills, Talents, and a "function helper" similar to what you have in Excel to assist with adding conditions etc.

And I disagree. Steam Workshop is amazing for growing a mod community and distributing mods. It is undoubtedly a net positive.

Mod Developers can easily take their steam workshop files and upload them on Nexus Mods just as they would if Steam Workshop does not exist, so mod makers lose nothing.

Last edited by Gel214th; 17/09/17 06:52 PM.
addict
addict
Nexus is a total pain in the ass regarding the uploading of mods. There are 14 steps to follow to upload a mod. I stopped because of that. While on steam, it is usually a "upload" button, with a few fields to fill. No picture here.

Un chemin de 1000 lieues commence par un premier pas.

Project:
Steam workshop Frontiere
old hand
old hand
As far as the toolset goes, it was never going to be an "easy" toolset. While there are, to put it mildly, some garbage mods on the shop right now; You can't deny that things are going much better than the first time around.

It took months to get the types of mods up there for 1 we have for 2 right now.

Originally Posted by Cromcrom
Nexus is a total pain in the ass regarding the uploading of mods. There are 14 steps to follow to upload a mod. I stopped because of that. While on steam, it is usually a "upload" button, with a few fields to fill. No picture here.

I normally upload my stuff to Nexus as well as Steam. But yes Nexus is pretty terrible for that stuff.

But I do think a good idea might be to just post it on your own google drive/dropbox/whatever account and then put the link on your workshop page as a manual DL.

stranger
stranger

It requires time if a DM wants to make own scenes / campaign. Using default ones should provide for good "session zero" ones.

But... requires "work" to do something. It is quite streamlined once you get the workflow, so the more you do the easier it becomes.

W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
I'm finding the main issue to be the lack of any sizable scenes for GM mode without figuring out who to create your own in the editor. I think a few larger ones would have solved a lot of the issues some people are having trying to learn the editor. I don't think an actual town or two and being about to go into the houses is some of the scenes would have been to much to ask. Eventually I'll learn the editor and make some cities but for now I'll be wasting away using 10 scenes to get through one simple quest because we're ready to start playing.

I think a lot of the issue was expectation. I was expecting to be able to open the editor, generate some terrain, start plopping down buildings and be done.

stranger
stranger
Reckon the "game board" type of thing should start to make sense once more and more creators start ( if possible ) to share their Packs of premade props.

That way the non-editorial DM will be able to prepare the scenes really fast with some prior work to the sessions.

Given a team of 5 is needed, DM and 4 players why not share the load and have all five do some Prefabs ready for the DM to use ? In the end everyone will enjoy the scenes.

G
apprentice
apprentice
G
Originally Posted by Hethwill
Reckon the "game board" type of thing should start to make sense once more and more creators start ( if possible ) to share their Packs of premade props.

That way the non-editorial DM will be able to prepare the scenes really fast with some prior work to the sessions.

Given a team of 5 is needed, DM and 4 players why not share the load and have all five do some Prefabs ready for the DM to use ? In the end everyone will enjoy the scenes.

For sure. It seems the idea is for the community to provide several pre-built packaged areas : A Town, A castle, A room, Mountainous region etc. etc.

Imagine if we had 50 towns, 20 castles, 15 dungeons etc. and the GM with no mapping experience can pick one, and fill it with his NPCs, loot, monsters etc. I think that is where they want to head. But it's going to be community driven, not necessarily Larian staff sitting and making all these prefab areas.

C
OP Offline
C
For me it's simple what makes a good editor.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSo56yAlA8SXRk9sIp6OarNnsoVjR5_dkr9rgoxUG_571bVUfOQfw

If I can't make this simple layout in less then a day. I mean layout not making it look pretty with props and atmosphere lightning, sounds etc ... Then the editor has failed. I realize NWN1 was tile based and so was NWN2 dungeon editor, but that shouldn't be an excuse.

The wall building in D:OS is arguably also tile based, since one section of a wall is a tile. Yet making a nice enclosed square wall is an effort in frustration. Having to figure out you have to hold down CTRL and then scroll up and down to change the texture of a wall piece is not very UIX either.

In terminology of scrum if your least amount of effort task to produce something deploy able to production takes longer then two days, you are in trouble, that's how I feel currently in the editor. I'll play around with it after work during the week, but for now I feel disappointed, I had expected more from it. They should have given kickstarters access to the editor way earlier so we could give constructive feedback, and not just the elite few they had for testing.

Last edited by Celludriel; 18/09/17 05:53 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Larian_KVN 

Link Copied to Clipboard