Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
N
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
N
In the first game being able to respec was a one time thing in the late game, I'm not suprised that Larian casualized some aspects of the game, but this is such a dumb change I can not fathom how it passed.

There is nothing stopping the player from robbing traders endlessly by respecing and hiring additional mercs, essentially creating free money

There is nothing stopping the player from respecing a character to perfectly fit any persuasion check in the game, why have it be in there if it's completely breakable anyway?

The first game had it right, being able to respec once for a high price made it rewarding in itself, this way it's so hilariously abuseable, I kinda just stopped playing when I realized how much it breaks the game.

Last edited by Niklasgunner; 19/09/17 01:10 AM.
Z
ztn Offline
stranger
stranger
Z
free respec is the best thing in game. i can try every buid and possibility without playing 30 hours every time to try smth that i want to test. you understand that its not competitive pvp game? its pve and nobody force you to respec if you dont want...

Last edited by ztn; 19/09/17 01:50 AM.
N
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
N
Why have civil skills in the first place if respec makes them irrelevant?

Z
ztn Offline
stranger
stranger
Z
you understand that every single party already have one char with max persuation, one with max thievery and one with max loremaster. so when the party meet locked chest or persuation check etc they dont need to teleport and respec. iam fun of respec but even me never respec civil traits... i dont respec whole party to thievery even once because just not needed. one maxed thieve generate enough gold for everything.

J
journeyman
journeyman
J
Nothing is stopping the player from doing anything in a single player except the player himself.

If you don't like the idea of respec, don't respec. It's really as simple as that.

I, personally, absolutely love that it exists. I can muck around with different character builds without playing an entire game through again. And I dislike the idea of coming back just to meet a persuasion check, so I don't.

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
*Face palm*

Dev please ignore this, the steam git gud crowd is here.

"I find this too easy so i want to ruin it for EVERYBODY!!"

Last edited by Cyka; 19/09/17 02:45 AM.
N
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
N
Originally Posted by Cyka
*Face palm*

Dev please ignore this, the steam git gud crowd is here.

"I find this too easy so i want to ruin it for EVERYBODY!!"

What is "ruining it for everybody" about wanting a better implementation?
The first game did it perfectly, you could respec, but you had to pay, why not do the same thing?

The current implementation is hilariously exploitable, you could still experiment with builds however you want.

Last edited by Niklasgunner; 19/09/17 02:49 AM.
C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
Are you so entitled to think everyone is like you? The game is hard enough as it is with plenty of noob traps in stats and skills, if Dev dont want people to pull their hair out and swear never to play another divinity game again, the current system is perfect if you want experimentation.

This is divinity original sin TWO, new armor new spells and even harder than before, please your highness let us peasants have this option?

F
apprentice
apprentice
F
I'm okay with it even if it's casual. The first game didn't have much of a respec, and people constantly complained for one.

The reality is that if Larian didn't include respecs, there would be a respec mod out within 48 hours and it would be the #1 mod for the game, so why try and fight it? People aren't interested in redoing a 40hour playthrough if they screwed something up.

N
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
N
Are you so entitled to think everyone is like you? The game is hard enough as it is with plenty of noob traps in stats and skills, if Dev dont want people to pull their hair out and swear never to play another divinity game again, the current system is perfect if you want experimentation.

This is divinity original sin TWO, new armor new spells and even harder than before, please your highness let us peasants have this option?

Stop being so condescending, I didn't attack you personally.

I like respec, but right now there is nothing stopping players from respeccing each character to abuse civic abilities.

examples:
If a player fails a persuasion check, he can just go back to the ship, respec, and try again with another character who he never before specialized for persuasion.
If you have already pickpocketed a trader, you can rob him again with a different party member, just respec.
See what I'm trying to get at?
In the first game you would likely have one loremaster, one party member good at dialouge, one good thief etc. Now every party member is that at the same time.
Now you can just rob traders as often as you want, get through every conversation without a problem, max out bartering before selling a bunch of items and switch right back afterwards.

I have no issue with experimenting with combat skills, thats all fun and having to buy skillbooks is a good enough barrier that you won't switch your specialization constantly.
Respeccing civic skills though is so exploitable that it doesn't make much sense in an RPG. If you can't pick a lock in Fallout New Vegas, the game game won't just let you come back with a completely different skill setup.
Balancing what the player can and can not choose and do is a core design of any RPG. Letting players respec without consequence completely nullifies specializing your party.

Last edited by Niklasgunner; 19/09/17 03:21 AM.
D
stranger
stranger
D
Let people break the game if they want to, it's their game.

F
apprentice
apprentice
F
Im not seeing your point, if you dont like it, dont do it, personally I only limit myself to 1 respec per chapter, unless the build idea I had is seriously failing, but just because I only do 1 respect per chapter doesnt mean I should force that way of playing on others. Let others play how they want, some people hate the persuasion mechanic and dont want to deal with it, let them do their thing and you stick to playing the game the way you like.

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
Originally Posted by Niklasgunner

Stop being so condescending, I didn't attack you personally.

I like respec, but right now there is nothing stopping players from respeccing each character to abuse civic abilities.

examples:
If a player fails a persuasion check, he can just go back to the ship, respec, and try again with another character who he never before specialized for persuasion.
If you have already pickpocketed a trader, you can rob him again with a different party member, just respec.
See what I'm trying to get at?
In the first game you would likely have one loremaster, one party member good at dialouge, one good thief etc. Now every party member is that at the same time.
Now you can just rob traders as often as you want, get through every conversation without a problem, max out bartering before selling a bunch of items and switch right back afterwards.

I have no issue with experimenting with combat skills, thats all fun and having to buy skillbooks is a good enough barrier that you won't switch your specialization constantly.
Respeccing civic skills though is so exploitable that it doesn't make much sense in an RPG. If you can't pick a lock in Fallout New Vegas, the game game won't just let you come back with a completely different skill setup.
Balancing what the player can and can not choose and do is a core design of any RPG. Letting players respec without consequence completely nullifies specializing your party.

And it matters to you because? i can install a cheat engine or mod right now and do the same, is a singleplayer FOR GODS SAKE, this ISNT JUST ABOUT YOU AND HOW YOU FEEL.

Last edited by Cyka; 19/09/17 04:02 AM.
K
stranger
stranger
K
I, for one, like the free respec option. Besides, it's a single-player game. If you don't want to use it, don't use it. If you want to pay for respec, then remove some of your gold each time you use the mirror.

S
stranger
stranger
S
I personally dislike this mentality that the freedom to choose how you play the game somehow breaks it. As others have said, if you don't like it, you aren't forced to do it.

With that said, I don't think having some cost associated with it would necessarily be a bad thing, but I don't feel it, or really anything else that grant the player the freedom to play as they wish needs to be moderated.

That was actually one of the things I disliked about the enhanced edition, and their decision to rework a lot of the skills as well as the elemental resistances. In a world where you essentially play as a walking god, and every other NPC as complete immunity to some element, you can't? That makes no sense.

I'm quite capable of moderating my own gameplay. It's an rpg, not an e-sports title.

apprentice
apprentice
In the first game being able to respec was a one time thing in the late game, I'm not suprised that Larian casualized some aspects of the game, but this is such a dumb change I can not fathom how it passed.

There is nothing stopping the player from robbing traders endlessly by respecing and hiring additional mercs, essentially creating free money

There is nothing stopping the player from respecing a character to perfectly fit any persuasion check in the game, why have it be in there if it's completely breakable anyway?

The first game had it right, being able to respec once for a high price made it rewarding in itself, this way it's so hilariously abuseable, I kinda just stopped playing when I realized how much it breaks the game.

If you don't like it, don't do it. It really is that simple. What other players do, do not affect you, so it doesn't matter.

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
Originally Posted by eisberg77

If you don't like it, don't do it. It really is that simple. What other players do, do not affect you, so it doesn't matter.

Just let this thread sank, terrible suggestion.

E
stranger
stranger
E
It is not that simple even if it is a SP game. For some people, they want their Achievements to meant something, so it will bug the hell of them when they know other players will abuse the game to easily gaining Achievements. Some people can't control their urges of knowing, and it will always be on the back of their head while they playing the game. They try so hard to not do it, it will drive them crazy to the point of stop playing the game.

journeyman
journeyman
There's a flaw in the idea of "fail a check, go respec and try again."

Conversations don't RESET.

So if you Fail your Persuasion Check, barring RELOADING the game, you don't get a second chance.

Also, being able to experiment and change your skills as needed can be extremely useful on higher difficulties where you really need to know exactly what to expect.

M
journeyman
journeyman
M
Whats to stop you from going to the console in most games and entering god mode? Its not a big deal and also, this is supposed to be an RPG. You are not supposed to respec at all if you are role playing. If you are just power gaming or min maxing, then just consider it part of the mechanics. Last, I dont really understand why its only important for civil skills... there is always one character with max civil skill anyway so why even bother respecing those? Maybe to undo the poorly chosen automatic choices when you recruit a character but thats about the only reason i can think of.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard