Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#615109 18/09/17 09:55 PM
S
Sotnik Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi! I have 17 Str and 1 Persuasion, but I have never succeeded in Str dialogue checks. What could be a reason for this? Are Str checks designed to be harder or do I choose them in wrong situations when other choices are more reasonable or is it a bug or do I have insufficient Attributes/Persuasion for any checks? Please adivise. I am in the middle of the 1st act at the moment.

stranger
stranger
I had 31 STR and still failed all of them.

A
A
the checks are based on the opposing persons stats.. if they have more strength than you do it fails.. persuasion adds 5 points per point in persuasion to all your stats when checking for speech success... some enemies are more convinced by strength than others.. and some are more likely to have low intelligence and be able to be convinced even with low intelligence.

S
Sotnik Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thank you for information. Is there some kind of innate modifier in every dialogue option and the dialogue in general? I mean, if an option is just stupid or the issue is critical, does it imply that the check will be harder?

Also, is it possible to know attributes and therefore the best response with Loremaster?

Originally Posted by 4Donic
I had 31 STR and still failed all of them.

I have finally did it once!)

Last edited by Sotnik; 19/09/17 12:25 AM.
A
A
i find strength to be the least reliable of all of the speech options... this is because most of the people your speaking to are usually melee fighters/warriors with high strength who would never cower in fear of you (which is basically what strength speech check does)... i have successfully managed to talk most people down with only level 14 int with several points in persuasion however.

L
stranger
stranger
L
I usually use persuation with wits, worked for me most of the time

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
After 60 hours I'm on level 10 with 2 lone wolf. One has 43 FIN (plus one point in Persuasion so 48), the other 39 INT.

I have failed every single persuasion check so far, usually against people with far less than half my points. Not once have I beaten it (even retrying).

I don't mind losing sometimes (and perhaps it is a dice roll not a direct comparison) but to lose every single time means I either don't understand or something is wrong.

H
journeyman
journeyman
H
Invest more in persuasion. Persuasion skills weigh more heavily than attribute checks.

K
apprentice
apprentice
K
That's incorrect. Just second ago failed str check with my 45 str and 3 persuasion warrior against 28 str Murga.

M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
Originally Posted by Kawall
That's incorrect. Just second ago failed str check with my 45 str and 3 persuasion warrior against 28 str Murga.

it is not incorrect and this anecdote does not prove your point

persuasion works dynamically in this game but a common theme is that it values persuasion levels over stat levels

sometimes, a character with a higher str stat will fail a str check but succeed a wits or memory check. this is because each option has its own chance to succeed independent of your stats or persuasion level

a better way to go about using persuasion is to look at who you're talking to and figure out if the persuasion option, dialogue-wise, looks feasible. str options tend to involve intimidation, but if you are trying to intimidate an ogre or a confident warrior, you are likely to fail

this is because the game writes persuasion into the game rather than making it a flat stat check you can pass or fail; some checks will be literally impossible, while others will be passable with zero levels in persuasion

E
apprentice
apprentice
E
I'm also pretty sure what you actually say affects the outcome a lot. Is the character you try to persuad a proud warrior? Probably a bad idea to belittle his strength/honor, no matter how high your stat is for that answer.

I've won persuasion a check with 0 persuasion in act 2 once. Also won a lot of checks picking stat answers that my character doesn't even take (like finess on a int character), although that was an a 4+ persuasion character.

EDIT: Excatly what miaasma said.
Originally Posted by miaasma
a better way to go about using persuasion is to look at who you're talking to and figure out if the persuasion option, dialogue-wise, looks feasible. str options tend to involve intimidation, but if you are trying to intimidate an ogre or a confident warrior, you are likely to fail

this is because the game writes persuasion into the game rather than making it a flat stat check you can pass or fail; some checks will be literally impossible, while others will be passable with zero levels in persuasion

Last edited by Elidan; 04/11/17 09:33 PM.

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard