Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Just wanted to advertise that I'm working on a tutorial series that covers the basic building blocks of putting together your first quest. It assumes that you are beginning completely from scratch with a new project. The goal is to keep things as simple as possible and not delve too deeply into one area of the toolset. You can find it in the wiki here:

Tutorial - Implementing a Basic Quest

It will start out as a video series and when finished, I will try to make some succinct written summaries to go along with it.

If there are any requests for specific items to cover, let me know. If I have enough knowledge in that area I will try to cover it, but I'm learning everyday too and there are plenty of things I don't understand yet, and things that I think I understand yet I am probably not doing optimally. smile I prefer to keep these limited to topics that would have a wide area of relevance rather than trying stuff off the beaten path. Thanks, hope they are of use to some.

DOS2 Mods: Happily Emmie After and The Noisy Crypt

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
R
stranger
stranger
R
You're killing it with these tutorials! Thank you so much!

P
apprentice
apprentice
P
Thank you for nice tutorials.

I think before adding NPC and quests it would be nice to have tutorial on even more basic stuff like map editing (mountains, ocean, buildings, dungeons), placing objects (props, foliage), AI grid, fog of war, ladders and teleports etc. Stuff stat should be created before quests and scripting.

Last edited by Phenomen; 19/09/17 02:55 PM.
R
stranger
stranger
R
Originally Posted by Phenomen
Thank you for nice tutorials.

I think before adding NPC and quests it would be nice to have tutorial on even more basic stuff like map editing (mountains, ocean, buildings, dungeons), placing objects (props, foliage), AI grid, fog of war, ladders and teleports etc. Stuff stat should be created before quests and scripting.

Larian has a handful of tutorials from the DOS1 days that will help with much of the basic stuff you're talking about here. What they don't have is the scripting, NPC, and questing info that Windemere has been covering!

apprentice
apprentice
Thanks for investing your time in doing tutorials. smile In order to lower the amount of work you have to do for a written summary you could transcribe your video. [0] You could probably reuse parts of the generated text so you don't have to write as much as without it.

[0] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWNCPj5jTWM

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Rawss
Larian has a handful of tutorials from the DOS1 days that will help with much of the basic stuff you're talking about here. What they don't have is the scripting, NPC, and questing info that Windemere has been covering!

Yeah, in one of the videos I explain why I didn't do much with level design. Like Rawss says here, there is already a fair amount of information available out there on that. I could and probably should link to those videos though, so thanks for the feedback.

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
S
stranger
stranger
S
Thanks ! Your tutorials helped me a lot.

I have a question about the story editor, when i tried to build&reload my story, an error occur. "story_header.div" is missing ( https://i.imgur.com/rcTnalw.png ). I followed step by step your tutorial twice so it's probably not me doing something wrong

I tried new projects, adventures and mod but this error is still there. If someone know how to find the missing file or how to fix this issue...

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Can you try generating definitions from the story editor? It may have been something I did before recording and missed.

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
R
stranger
stranger
R
Windemere - I especially enjoyed the NPC information in your videos though I have a question. How can you give a NPC the "trade" option for players?

Thanks and keep up the good work!

stranger
stranger
Windmere, this is what a lot of creative minds ( and definitely less technical minded ) needed.

Many thanks for putting the tutorials together in a very clear and sober way.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Rawss
Windemere - I especially enjoyed the NPC information in your videos though I have a question. How can you give a NPC the "trade" option for players?

Thanks and keep up the good work!

Heh, I just had someone else ask me this today so I plan to add it to the series. You can add treasure table items in the 'Trade Treasure' properties of the NPC.

[Linked Image]

I don't know if there is another way to add specific items other than creating a unique treasure table entry for the item you want to add but maybe someone else knows what alternatives there are to setting this.

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
S
stranger
stranger
S
Oh yes, I generate definitions and now it's working. Thank you for answering so fast :D

addict
addict
Hopefully we can script this, and tie it to some "scavenge" skill. I LOVE skills smile
Thanks you so much for these vids hehe

Un chemin de 1000 lieues commence par un premier pas.

Project:
Steam workshop Frontiere
apprentice
apprentice
Thanks for doing this ! Will look into it tommorow evening.

N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
Added that as a sticky.

R
stranger
stranger
R
When attempting to bind a quest to dialog I receive an error: "No valid kids found for node..." and "failed to find valid node..."

I triple checked all the steps you have detailed in your video and continue to get the error.

T
addict
addict
T
That means that you have a node with exits that either do not connect to other nodes, or that connect to other nodes with flag or tag checks that cannot be satisfied.

The most likely case is that you did not mark a final node as "end node".

apprentice
apprentice
Very usefull tutorials thanks agian for taking the time and effort to create this!

G
stranger
stranger
G
Loving all the work that you and others have gone through to provide tutorials for everyone. So excited to use these to build my own adventures and campaigns. Thanks again!

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Thanks, glad you're getting something from it. I cringe sometimes listening back at them where I slur some terms or describe something imprecisely. ouch

With some reluctance, I just added an episode on Building Your First Story. Logically, it should have come a lot earlier since you really should build a story early on even if you don't have any personal goals to write. Hopefully it's not too confusing!

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard