Page 2 of 2 1 2
Z
Zherot Offline OP
banned
OP Offline
banned
Z
Originally Posted by KentDA
While you CAN use Warfare skills with a Staff, it runs afoul of not being able to break Physical Armor for the various effects like knockdown and the like. So it's not AS good as it sounds.

Some skills in Huntsman, Scoundrel and Warfare don't care about your weapon equipped. Adrenaline can be used with any weapon (as an example).

Most Warfare skills require either a melee weapon (which includes staff and dagger) or a shield however. Just like most Scoundrel skills require a dagger and most Huntsman skills require a Bow / Crossbow.

Yeah it is indeed stupid that melee staves destroy magic armor and not physical armor thus making the mayority of the warfare skills useless and pointless.

Wands win again.

enthusiast
enthusiast
What if you had some staffs with physical damage? Like other weapons with mainly physical and a little bit of elemental damage, you could have the reverse for staffs, where they're primarily elemental, but have a little bit of physical damage as well.

You could also have a magic-less staff that perhaps has the All-In ability, like two handed swords and spears, or an equivalent physical-based melee attack.

journeyman
journeyman
Laughingleader ... I'm sure someone will Mod it in.

What I'd love (no clue how to mod personally) is something like the inverse of what you see on a number of magical melee weapons. EX: Level 1 Sword, 2-3 Air, 6-7 Physical.

But for Staff weapons it'd be 6-7 Air, 2-3 Physical.

Now if these could be made and added into the loot table, I think that'd make Staff + Warfare a truly valid option. Yes, you won't compare to a guy who is rocking the 6-7 Physical Damage weapon, but it could make the Staff a far more interesting and useful weapon.

veteran
veteran
I loved weapons with elemental effects in D:OS1, but in 2 they are often pointless. You are hardly interested in damaging both kings of army, it is not really effective.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Laughingleader ... I'm sure someone will Mod it in.

I've been thinking about modding that myself, mainly because I like the look of staffs, and making a physical monk-type of guy who uses physical staffs to fight sounds cool.

Now if these could be made and added into the loot table, I think that'd make Staff + Warfare a truly valid option. Yes, you won't compare to a guy who is rocking the 6-7 Physical Damage weapon, but it could make the Staff a far more interesting and useful weapon.

I could even add a new ability to those special staffs (or all staffs I suppose, if requested) - one that does physical damage, so you could have the option of using the default staff ability to shoot at range, or smack someone close to you for physical damage.

I'm actually working on a mod that does the opposite - It adds skills that scale with your weapon damage / primary stat, but they do magic damage. So basically a magic knight. I'm thinking of adding a basic ability like All-In that will do magic damage, so you have something to use as a replacer for a basic attack if you want to destroy magic armor, but your weapon is primarily physical.

journeyman
journeyman
Don't see why its not possible, you can alter the damage type of weapons.

So if you want, you CAN create (in GM mode) a Wand that does Physical Damage.

So if it can be done in GM Mode ... I'm sure it could be easily modded. I'm trying to roll an item that does both magic and physical and seeing how that works. Seeing if I can modify both.

That may help with the idea of creating a Staff that does both Physical and Magical Damage.

EDIT: Magic effects can't be changed in GM mode (outside of raw stats). But at least it IS confirmed that you can change the core damage type, so a Staff that does pure Physical Damage COULD be made. Though it'd still require INT to use (though Modding could probably change that of course).

Last edited by KentDA; 19/09/17 08:55 PM.
I
stranger
stranger
I
@Zherot
[quote=Zherot][quote=Inxample]Just joined the forums so that i could add my comments as well. I went 2h and staves with high int for a skull bashing battlemage but something i noticed that has changed since alpha is that staves magic dmg type no longer applies status as it used to where it seems wands still do.
ex. You have a poison wand and attack a mob whos magic armor is down. you will apply poison.
in the same scenario with a staff be it melee or the staff of magus attack i do not see it applying poison.

Has anyone else noticed this? [/quote]

I don't know about that i tell you later since i do have a poison staff and i will test this but i can tell you that i was healing undeads when using it, will come back after i test this when i play. [/quote]

Yes, they still do the magic damage type, but do not tack on a status effect (poisoned, on fire, wet, etc). Which if truely the case means i'm rerolling :(

Last edited by Inxample; 19/09/17 09:43 PM.
D
D
Does Phoenix Dive creates a fire surface under you so u can pick elemental affinity for fire mage?

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Seriously question, any reason not to use wand+shield on a caster?

Free massive armor (also good shield throw skill) and its not like you really should ever use weapon attacks on caster anyway, not unless you absolutely have to which you don't when you have a decent amount of skills.

Only time I would ever use a stave is for a melee magic build and that's it. Wouldn't use wand or stave to attack on a normal magic build.

Last edited by SacredDark; 22/09/17 12:02 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by dunehunter
Does Phoenix Dive creates a fire surface under you so u can pick elemental affinity for fire mage?

I think it creates a fire surface around you, but not right under your feet.

T
T
But with pawn talent it doesnt really matter as you can move on the fire easily for free =)

O
stranger
stranger
O
Originally Posted by TsunAmik
But with pawn talent it doesnt really matter as you can move on the fire easily for free =)

But Executioner seems far more useful for AoE nuke Pyro mage. Maybe not an as effective starter, but at least it will be seeing plenty of AP+2. Since it will be teleporting most of the time (phoenix dive, spread your wings, netherswap, and so on) and mages are primarily ranged casters, the 0AP movement for repositioning seems a waste.

enthusiast
enthusiast
OK after finishing I have to say, Staves all the way, but very particular staves. There are staves with +20% Crit chance, you want those. By the end my wizard ended up with 84% Crit chance and staff alone gave 20 there.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard