Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
It's really not worth 2 AP. It's touch-range, it does almost no damage, it lasts for only 1 turn.

It also wears off as soon as the target's turn comes up, so if you use it on an enemy with LESS Initiative than you, it wears off before you get to act. The only way I can get it to actually last is to delay my turn and use it at the end. Or maybe it's just buggy.

It's utility is quite limited and it doesn't even have the advantage of the other racial skills cost of 1 or 0 AP. At 2 AP there's basically no reason to use it over anything else.

Interestingly there might be another way to make it useful. If it was reduced to 1 AP and the damage was removed, it could make for an interesting emergency status remover on party members, and prevent most others from landing.

Another alternative would be to increase the petrify duration up to 2 turns to make it worth the 2 AP cost.

stranger
stranger
Yes I agree. It was much better in EA mostly because its saving throw was physical armor not magic armor like it is now. If it had a longer range then that would be fine, it would compliment a mage. Due to the proximity, its encouraging to play a warrior melee type, but now the saving throw is magic armor? Why did they change this?
My last playthrough in EA I had a great time with a 2-h dwarf, using petrify. Now its useless

J
stranger
stranger
J
This is going to sound stupid, and I apologize, but as an Undead player I love the fact that I can swap to a dwarf form and throw down a petrify to temporarily lock out an opponent in the middle of a melee.

I think they decided to make it "in line" with the Petrifying Visage/Medusa Head polymorph ability.

veteran
veteran
It's kind of odd, that pretty much every racial skill no checks against magical armor, which kind of forces you to go for magical skill trees.

Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by John Preston
This is going to sound stupid, and I apologize, but as an Undead player I love the fact that I can swap to a dwarf form and throw down a petrify to temporarily lock out an opponent in the middle of a melee.

I think they decided to make it "in line" with the Petrifying Visage/Medusa Head polymorph ability.

It is certainly not on par with Petrifying Visage, because while they both cost 2 AP, Petrifying Visage affects all enemies in a 15 meter radius, whereas Petrifying Touch affects a single enemy within a 3-4 meter radius, and does significantly less damage, too.

I think that it should be in line with the other racial skills. If you love it now, just imagine how much you'd love it if it only cost 1 AP.

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard