Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
So, I just got to Arx.

Can some people who have beaten the game give me a general idea of how much content there is?

I literally just arrived and only made it through the docks. I only have to cross the bridge, but don't see much left on the map... and haven't encountered any notable NPCs.

Without spoilers, can I get some estimates of the amount of content? Maybe a generic comparison in size and scale to the 2nd island?

M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
there isn't a ton. if you're arriving at arx you're nearing the end

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Hmm... so, would you say it is comparable in size to the Nameless Island? Or, substantially smaller in size and scope?

I thought that the Nameless Island was appropriately sized for what it was intended to be, but I would be a little disappointed if Arx is only a fraction of the size of the Nameless Island in content... and my initial impressions are that Arx is really small and short.

Last edited by michaelgalt1984; 26/09/17 11:58 AM.
addict
addict
Arx is one quest chain that shouldn't take more than a few hours if you know what you're doing.

That's the hard part though, knowing what you should be doing. You can only advance through exploration (or searching for an answer) as the entire progress is all about connecting the puzzle on your own with minimal hint. The NPC just tell you where you can possible go through something like "MAYBE THEY'RE HIDING IN THE SEWER" or "Yeah, he might have a hidden vault".

stranger
stranger
Arx is short compared to the other three areas of the game. But in my opinion it's also the second most fun one(Except for Act 2 which was god tier). Like Ellezard explained above, you have to find most things through exploration instead of following a straight objective. Coming across multiple endings to long running quests purely by sticking your head in places where it should not belong was really satisfactory for me.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I kinda liked Arx, though I'd probably place it below Driftwood and environs and Fort Joy in terms of how much I enjoyed it. It has a lot of potential but felt slightly empty and unfinished to me: with a few more interesting characters and diversions it would've been awesome, though. I wonder if at some point it may get a sort of DKS or EE treatment where it's overhauled a bit.

J'aime le fromage.
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Alright, thanks! That really helps! So, I guess that I am really close. That's sort of a bummer... though I am ready to give D her comeuppance, given how much of a pain in the rear she has been, and has almost killed me twice... Though, to be honest, I get the feeling that I might agree with her... and maybe we won't end up fighting.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I wouldn't make too many assumptions about the way things play out. And that's somebody who hasn't quite made it right to the end: I have a habit of not bothering with the fighty end segment!

And I don't want to be too much of a downer about Arx, it's not like it's terrible, it's well constructed and interesting to just wander around sightseeing. It could've just done with a bit more polish and... well, more.

J'aime le fromage.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Arx is good by itself, the problem is that main quest-line is just both meh and has extremely vague path by itself with extremely vague solutions. Other than that some notable trash fight there has VERY gimmicky and shitty mechanic that is pretty much virtually disliked.

A
A
Originally Posted by Gaidax
Arx is good by itself, the problem is that main quest-line is just both meh and has extremely vague path by itself with extremely vague solutions. Other than that some notable trash fight there has VERY gimmicky and shitty mechanic that is pretty much virtually disliked.

your talking about the lizard fight correct? where you fight unkillable lizard skeletons that will only die if you remove every curse field in the entire area... oh.. and they can shoot curse arrows so good luck..

since bless costs a source point now me and my multiplayer team basically had to cheese that fight.. by having our air mage continuously leave the battle to recharge tornado and come back in.. it was the only way to clear all the curse and kill them for good.

Last edited by Adrianna; 27/09/17 11:21 AM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Adrianna

your talking about the lizard fight correct? where you fight unkillable lizard skeletons that will only die if you remove every curse field in the entire area... oh.. and they can shoot curse arrows so good luck..

since bless costs a source point now me and my multiplayer team basically had to cheese that fight.. by having our air mage continuously leave the battle to recharge tornado and come back in.. it was the only way to clear all the curse and kill them for good.

I just fill the whole area with oil so a single bless on the enemy will affect all of the necrofire and making the enemies vulnerable. I do this while keeping them downed with KD arrow because when they respawn, they don't have armor.

It does get boring though after you have to repeat the fight multiple times and I just skip the fight by jumping through the gap in the wall -> Teleporter pyramid and walk right into the portal.

Last edited by Ellezard; 27/09/17 11:39 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Ellezard
I just fill the whole area with oil

Does the trick.

In my line of work, it's never a quiet day on the market.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard