Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
enthusiast
enthusiast
Just made some minas tirith like base myself in photoshop:

[Linked Image]

C
OP Offline
C
Nice one, seems you at least got a vertical wall going right, didn't work with my tests.

I have updated the main post with a new version the problem with non squared terrains is hopefully fixed I tested it with a 2x1 and included an example heightmap for it

enthusiast
enthusiast
I wont work with this because I'm lacking time resources to really fill that kind of huge level right now. Just wanted to showcase the potential of your awesome tool. The verical walls aren't beautiful, as place itrms always eill look better,but using heightmaps is a huge help to generally layout a level. It's really great to have that tool. Still i beg larian to provide some API to have something like this as a plugin.

Keep on working on this. I just hope to have encouraged you to continue polishing this nice one.

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by morez
I wont work with this because I'm lacking time resources to really fill that kind of huge level right now. Just wanted to showcase the potential of your awesome tool. The verical walls aren't beautiful, as place itrms always eill look better,but using heightmaps is a huge help to generally layout a level. It's really great to have that tool. Still i beg larian to provide some API to have something like this as a plugin.

Keep on working on this. I just hope to have encouraged you to continue polishing this nice one.

I would love designing this as a plugin, as for polishing , not much more I can do the basic functionality is in. The only thing I can think of is autotexturing by use of a climate map. But that means having to relearn how those damn pages in the Larian file format work. I remember from last time this is a very complicated material to master. Not sure I'm up for that right now, I'm actually with vacation and shouldn't be coding ....

apprentice
apprentice
Here my tests and my thoughts;

My main concern, the resolution for each patch is really low, the smooth is needed if you want avoid some ugly hard edges in heigh levels. This can be fixed using higher resolution heightmaps, so we can have more pixels used per square (patch). My doubt here; are we forced in dos2 engine to use this formula (33 pixels per patch)?

Can we go higher? this is a must have if we really want to have high detailed terrains. Maybe Larian should take a look on this, they could make this even better if they put some effort.

Here the example of these issues;

- The need of smooth tool if you want avoid shadow issues due to hard edges.

[Linked Image]

- Here we can see how this low res affecting painting too.

[Linked Image]

- A smoothed terrain, my best approach.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Rada Torment; 27/09/17 02:39 PM.
old hand
old hand
Rada, you may have been using a base terrain texture in that second image leading to the chunky look.

DOS2 Mods: Happily Emmie After and The Noisy Crypt

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Windemere
Rada, you may have been using a base terrain texture in that second image leading to the chunky look.

Ok, I'll check that.

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by Rada Torment
are we forced in dos2 engine to use this formula (33 pixels per patch)?

I would need a confirmation of a Larian employee but I'm afraid we are stuck with it. In one patch file the heightmap is 4356 bytes. Each height point in the heightmap is 4 bytes depicting the height in meters. Taking this in account we need to figure out how much space there is in one patch.

4356 / 4 = 1089

So we have 1089 height points in total that can be present in the heightmap, considering we have a square patch we need to take the square root to have one width.

SQRT(1089) = 33

So we end up with a heightmap of 33 * 33 ... if there is any other way to increase resolution I'm more then willing to find out. I'm afraid there isn't though frown

old hand
old hand
Need to play with it a bit more but it will definitely come in handy. It may be coincidence, but it didn't seem to work for me when I tried setting the max height from 20 to 10? It didn't re-generate the terrain at all a couple of times when I tried using the exact same paths and not sure why.

Great work, this will help a lot. smile

[Linked Image]

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
C
OP Offline
C
Need to play with it a bit more but it will definitely come in handy. It may be coincidence, but it didn't seem to work for me when I tried setting the max height from 20 to 10? It didn't re-generate the terrain at all a couple of times when I tried using the exact same paths and not sure why.

Great work, this will help a lot. smile

Can you send me the heightmap and the dimension you were using. I can then experiment a bit with the min and max height. Weird though that is one part I haven't had problems with yet. I'll try and figure out what is going on there.

C
OP Offline
C
@moderator You can move this thread to the tools forum if you want. It kind of belongs there

T
stranger
stranger
T
I tried to use this and it doesn't seem to be working. Is this still functional?

Twitch Partner - Jedi - Rocket Surgeon - Sponsored by Soylent
old hand
old hand
Same problem. I've tried a bunch of combinations using his example heightmaps and none work. I also tried some earlier revisions and they do not either. I wonder if something changed in the terrain data format.

frown

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
C
OP Offline
C
I'll take a look tomorrow, hopefully they didn't change to much to the file format, but if they did I need to figure out what they did

UPDATE:

Are you sure it's not working ? I'm using the steam edition of the editor so it should be updated to the latest version. I tried the version of the zip file, tried the version in my current workspace of visual studio, tried different test files. It all still seems to work ?

Can you please verify you are using the up to date editor from steam if you are send me your terrain files and heightmap file please so I can investigate what is going wrong with your files.

Last edited by Celludriel; 14/10/17 04:34 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Same problem. I've tried a bunch of combinations using his example heightmaps and none work. I also tried some earlier revisions and they do not either. I wonder if something changed in the terrain data format.

frown

Maybe try again with a new level. For me it wasnt working several times. Always had to retry from scratch with new level i not made any attempts so far. Dont know why it just worked sometimes. Maybe Celludriel you could have look into this.

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by morez

frown

Maybe try again with a new level. For me it wasnt working several times. Always had to retry from scratch with new level i not made any attempts so far. Dont know why it just worked sometimes. Maybe Celludriel you could have look into this.

Well I just made a new project, new level and a new terrain. It just worked as expected. Maybe it's a dimension issue where my math is wrong figuring out the x and y coordinates ?

old hand
old hand
Sent you a youtube video recording my workflow in case that helps. I did do a new level when testing. Thanks for your time.

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
C
OP Offline
C
Sent you a youtube video recording my workflow in case that helps. I did do a new level when testing. Thanks for your time.

The version in your video is a bit fuzzy, so I couldn't make it out perfectly. Your workflow is right though. I replicated your steps and here it works like it should. I'm stomped atm why it wouldn't be working for you.

This is my version of the editor

[Linked Image]

I did notice the timestamp on your patch files didn't change at all. As if that there was no write operation to them at all. On thing I'm might be thinking is that there isn't any write access to the folder. It's a longshot though, since you where able to do it before.

Last edited by Celludriel; 14/10/17 08:14 PM.
old hand
old hand
I was wondering the same thing, so I tried all kinds of things tonight with running as administrator, moving the tool to be on the same drive, opening new projects, opening old projects, trying with new terrains, and trying with old terrains. It worked once out of about 8 permutations and I have no idea why that one worked while all the others fail.

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
C
OP Offline
C
I was wondering the same thing, so I tried all kinds of things tonight with running as administrator, moving the tool to be on the same drive, opening new projects, opening old projects, trying with new terrains, and trying with old terrains. It worked once out of about 8 permutations and I have no idea why that one worked while all the others fail.

All my tries keep working consistently, I just can't reproduce it. Keep in mind that the tool itself isn't that complicated. It's barely 50 lines of code. It just reads two files and rewrites one of them.

All the code is in two files

https://github.com/Celludriel/DOS_Terrain_Importer/tree/master/DosTerrainImporter/Importer/Dos2

Dos2GrayScaleImporter.cs: figures out the name of the patch files and order
PatchFileWriter.cs: reads and writes one patch file

Wish I could reproduce your problem, but I get consistent results frown

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard