Next Thread
Print Thread
K
Krapfn Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
K
Hi, I'm Krapfn and i am new to Divinity 2 and also never played the first one. I played a lot of other rpgs but mostly arpgs i've to say.

As the Start in Divinity was extremly strong and also a good challange the game got way to fast easy in fights for my opinion. I played infight with lonelywolf and 2 Characters ( Cleric + petmaster and Sebille as rogue with 2 daggers) While the part with the elves and the mothertree i got so much heavy Equip that my Characters got buffed so heavy that when i hittet Arx there was no Challenge anymore. The only fight until Endboss i restarted once was the Doctor because of extremly bad start positioning at first time.

*Warning this part contains some spoilers of the end*

But to the point ... at the Endboss it more felt broken than unbalanced. My shieldbash does 4k damage, my spider does 3k damage per autohit, twice. So the mainchar is doing 10k damage in first round and Sebille killed Alexandar first round (she always starts because of high stat) i even didn't know what he can do =/ (my chars have been lvl 19 at that point)

I also think that shouldn't happen because after that Alexandar is lying on the floor, dead with full life and talking. U can attack him threw ctrl+click but it doesnt matter.

When the Kraken came, it spittet one time on the floor and the final boss had 8k live and 5k armor i think, so again -> sebille attacks, pet attacks and down. The others were like some one-hit puppies that hits me max with 500 damage while my mainchar is having 18k life and over 6k phys amor

I used no buff and defence ability in the last fight and ended with no life lost at both Characters, Sebille lost her
magical shield and like 90% of phys armor and my Main was at about 30-50% Armor.

So after ~25 hours i recognized that dmg > all. No cc or buffs or heal needed. The armor is always enough if u kill fast. And this bring u to the point that nothing changed for me infight since lvl 14-16 i think. I also used the source-dmg-abilities for max 5 times because i never needed them really.

And the last point. After the rogue (sorry german player "Gauner" hope my english brings the right up^^") having over 200% critdmg and decent critchance the autohit does more damage than all the abilities that cost 2 ap, because of two hits that can crit. For my sebille my abilities doing arround 700 damage and my sheetdamage is 870. Infight it feels for arround 30% more damage with autohit against abilities. So i only use cloak, backstep, adrenaline and fresh blood and rarely the saw when an enemy is having under 1.5k life and high armor it onehits from behind .

I also have to say that entire Arx was very disapointing for me also in lore. In the first steps of the game i loved to read the lore and making choices and explore (Maybe first time since looong ago in an rpgs that it felt "fresh" .. thanks for that anyway ;>) I also don't needed help to get where i want. When i was in Arx i think i hittet divinity wiki for about 4-6 times =/ And i never got there without it because of some missing Characters and informations of their sidequests. Also the last puzzle before the endboss is making no sense in german translation. There are 9 words that fit into the sense of the "one word" given and not 5. After just hitting all i got the right ones and one of them was kinda the opposite of that word =/

Don't get me wrong the game has really great stuff and ideas but for me it has way to less content in fights.

For me the game felt like an really really great Project that did the first part so fuckin well and after that the rest needed to be createt too fast because of money/time or it needed so much of ur "own" source that the air was out after this masterpiece of start ;) I don't know.

The round based fight is having the problem that fixed AP start for every character is just leading to make every fight the same.

I also don't get why there is so much freedom at character choices when the game totally leads into having that 4 "main-chars" for the complete lore. ( I also got some bugs threw that like doctor is calling my mainchar(male) Lohse or Sebille got called fane twice. Sometimes someone is saying she to my male and so on ) BUT NEVER in the first part of the game. In Arx there where a lot of bugs.

For me the game shoots everything out in the first 40 hours so that there is nothing left than exploring full lore. The game had needed at least one more year, doubled skills or a system to push a skill while using it and way more options to use elements that they feel more "needed" . It also needs options like making firecasters having double ap overall but can only interact every 2nd turn and between he's in an magical bubble for getting 30% less damage or something like that. Healstuff need to be better or having better decursive function to be useful. And the pets are waaaay to strong, and why the main pet class is having only one mainpet, like pyro and nekro having also one (never testet the pyro one) and for me the spider was much stronger than the incarnation. (double damage sometimes for sure) While the totem was useless (while my pet was hitting 2 times 1.2k per round the totem was doing 400 damage ...)

Im sorry if my thoughts are too "harsh" . It is also my personally review and not "neutral". Like i said im more into arpgs than rpgs it already says it ;) But when the action part is at least good enough to "enjoy" then i love to get into the lore. What this game lost really fast for me :(

For me the game is only really finished until ~ level 10-12. I'm just wondering if it's just for me like that?
Because i never hittet an endboss after 44 hours in an rpg and nearly onehit him =/ Other round-based
rpgs like FF i needed at least 100 hours to get the feeling of "knowledge of ingamecontent" ...

* I also don't wanna blame anyone or the employer, i know its buisiness and time is not endless and u really did a very great job in the start but i think u had not enough time and resources for holding that quality for the whole game *

Last edited by Krapfn; 28/09/17 12:19 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Yes, I agree.

D:OS1/2 both have this issue where it's a reverse difficulty curve - where it gets easier as you go simply because you get more abilities and pure power and enemies simply do not scale up to the task sufficiently there, while earlier levels is where it is pain in the ass with limited skillset and rags.

Also yes, Arx is a letdown because there could be so much more done there. So much unused environment there, while the main quest is somewhat vague and incoherent.

The game is great, but Arx is not the highlight it should have been.

K
apprentice
apprentice
K
So after ~25 hours i recognized that dmg > all. No cc or buffs or heal needed.

Well, some people still dont get it so its not so long. But you are right. Brute force is the name of the game in DOS2.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard