Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
W
Well one can assume that's the consensus. Was it really necessary? It can be hard to find any kind of usable gear decent enough to help you survive being hit once in a party possessing reasonable class composition.

I never once felt as I rummaged through 18-20 different containers finding only a single decent magical green item that 4 points in Lucky Charm had given me some kind of astounding advantage. Half the appeal of checking through the sometimes obnoxious amount of poorly highlighted containers and seachables in the game was the hope of finding something really worth while. The treasure hunting aspect in my opinion felt really good.

Did you consider what was being sacrificed by taking Lucky Charm over all the other valuable skills?

Who's immensely unwise decision was it to nerf? Put them to them to the cross and make them a shrieker.

By all means if you had some kind of wild experience where you found a blue every 4 or 5 things you searched feel free to disagree. I'm on my third play.

journeyman
journeyman
I don't really understand why they'd make itemization harder early on when LC doesn't have a huge impact and any item found is useful, and punish investment later on when LC is more and more needed to keep up with the increasingly draconian power curve.

It's also pretty much pointless as a change, seeing as players can stat into LC and swap over to Barter for shopping trips in town, free of charge at any point-- You'll just have capped Barter and LC regardless when it's convenient for a whole minute's effort. All this really accomplished was making itemization harder for the inexperienced without fixing the easily-busted economy or out of whack scaling, consideration of LC hasn't really been changed at all.

The Flaws of Divinity: Original Sin II: A list of observations of the game's shortcomings for the community.
Found HERE.
K
stranger
stranger
K
I'm not really sure why it was nerfed, to be honest. The item churn in this game is UNREAL, and lucky charm helped with making the item churn a little less awful, as it reduced the need to be attached to gear vendors 24/7 trying to find something your level with stats on it that didn't suck for your build. Still all RNG, as all the items you find with LC could still be worthless for your builds, but it is another source for potential upgrades.

I know that after I finish this playthrough, I am 100% going to try the zero scaling mod, as I am sick TO DEATH of scouring the vendors basically every reset trying to find upgrades. I wanna be able to use things like Lohar's hammer and Hanal Lechet for more than 20 minutes without missing out on some massive damage upgrade off of Random_Melee_35.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I believe they are targeting people like me with the change: 5-7 points in LC depending on gear(I do not bother swapping it out), find purples and magentas in every other box(mos hilarious find was two amazing belts in fish barrels next to one another in Driftwood).

The change is to growth, i.e. 1 point early is as good/bad as it was, massive stacking at later levels won't turn garbage bins into your primary source of loot.

addict
addict
It's best we wait and see first if it's a type of scaling that moves legendary and divine to level 6 and 7 (because getting them at level 5 is quite busted tbh) or the type that give you trash even at level 5-7.

If it's the former, the change is minimal at best because they haven't done anything about wearing updated gear = destroy 95% of the game.

S
S
I don't see the notes you are talking about here, but so far they've had a history of nerfing everything remotely fun and useful until the game is unplayable and bland. Exactly what happened with DivOS1 into EE, and it's already happening with the first patches to DivOS2. Personally, I'm never going to install any of the patches at this rate, and obviously I won't be getting into multiplayer either, because Larian is just insistent on stripping out all the fun they possibly can.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Hello everyone!

We issued a hotfix today, containing the following changes:
Cases that could cause the “Device lost” crash, are now better handled.
Fixed an eternal damage loop situation in combat.
Lucky Charm has been re-balanced: it now grows in power at a slower rate.
Tweaked Journal XP.
Several fixes and improvements for German, French and Russian languages.

Also, a big patch is on the horizon, and we are aiming to release it next week. The focus will be fixing the remaining issues we’ve seen pop up since release.

Thank you for unending support and as always, keep on sending us your amazing feedback!

The Larian Team

The good news is, if you honestly believe you have to camp vendors just to keep up to same level enemies (tip: you don't outside of Tactician at all), you can play four Intelligence based casters. They don't really scale with gear nearly as much as the physical builds and do just fine.

Last edited by Sanctuary; 29/09/17 04:14 AM.
K
stranger
stranger
K
Originally Posted by Sanctuary
The good news is, if you honestly believe you have to camp vendors just to keep up to same level enemies (tip: you don't outside of Tactician at all), you can play four Intelligence based casters. They don't really scale with gear nearly as much as the physical builds and do just fine.

So the 'good news' is that you have to play a specific type of party makeup to even attempt to get away from the item scaling problem? Go white knight for terrible systems somewhere else, nobody's buying your bullshit here.

Last edited by vometia; 29/09/17 06:16 AM. Reason: formatting
old hand
old hand
This are very strong opinions based on a relatively vague information by the devs. Do you know any more about how the balancing will work? If not, then let's wait and see.

S
S
Originally Posted by geala
This are very strong opinions based on a relatively vague information by the devs. Do you know any more about how the balancing will work? If not, then let's wait and see.

All I know is that they have a history of VERY unfun "balancing" changes. I honestly don't think they've ever made a change in a patch in any of their games that made it more fun. It doesn't really matter how they go about it with a history like that, it's all but guaranteed to be wrong.

The proper response to getting "too much loot" via lucky charm (and pickpocket) is to add more and better non-lucky loot to the game, so that those skills no longer feel necessary.

Last edited by Sotanaht; 30/09/17 12:29 AM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Kierlak

So the 'good news' is that you have to play a specific type of party makeup to even attempt to get away from the item scaling problem? Go white knight for terrible systems somewhere else, nobody's buying your bullshit here.

Pretty much every merchant NPC starting at Act 2 will sell all type of gears covered. Just in Act 2, the town area and the paladin camp that can be accessed without any fighting will cover every type of gear you need.

Like the Lute girl can be persuaded to sell the best bow and the paladins sitting at the bridge will sell the best 2H weapon pretty much every time they restock so you never face the issues always updating your gears every 1 to 2 levels.

The nerfs pretty much force you to at least interact with the npc with even maxed out lucky charm + lucky gears. You just need to know who sells what on Act 2 and Act 3 if you really want to have 100% update gear.

The real issue is the gears scaling though, mainly Legendary gear and Divine gear having too much stat on them. They should have nerfed those instead of targeting lucky charm.

F
enthusiast
enthusiast
F
Originally Posted by Naqel
I believe they are targeting people like me with the change: 5-7 points in LC depending on gear(I do not bother swapping it out), find purples and magentas in every other box(mos hilarious find was two amazing belts in fish barrels next to one another in Driftwood).

This. With a high Lucky Charm stat, nearly every container contains at least two Rare+ items. By the time I finished Bloodmoon Island, more than half of my inventory was just unidentified items. Lucky Charm 6+ definitely needs to be nerfed.

As someone who beat the game on Tactician and am now beating it on Honour mode, I don't see the difficulty in gearing up. I ended the game with 150k gold, none of the vendors stocked decent gear, but I still beat it just fine.

Was using a common rarity 2-handed sword, actually. It was level 21 and had no stats, but wow that base damage was juicy!

old hand
old hand
I'm pretty sure luck 1-5 are exactly the same as they were. Previously, you had about a 5% chance to find items up to level 6, when suddenly you'd have a 10% chance (or possibly more) on looting a container to likely find an epic/rare, etc. Now it slowly scales up from level 6 to level 10, increasing by .5% per point or so. So it actually made luck 7-10 a factor (whereas before level 6 was the highest), and ultimately the nerf was fairly minor, at the level of luck that probably was somewhat silly. An epic/rare in every 10 containers is a bit much.

I do hope they address the horrible scaling, though, so people don't feel like luck is needed for constant upgrades.

S
S
Act 3 is much worse. There aren't very many vendors on the nameless isle, they don't sell much variety and there are a lot of gaps in what they cover, plus most of them end up going hostile at some point. Arx is better with many more vendors, but all the vendors there are still very low stock so it can be really hard to find anything good for certain slots

I wish it were more like act 2. Mostly I just think there should be a vendor like the Raucus One in every act/area, maybe on the ship?

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Ellezard

Pretty much every merchant NPC starting at Act 2 will sell all type of gears covered. Just in Act 2, the town area and the paladin camp that can be accessed without any fighting will cover every type of gear you need.

Like the Lute girl can be persuaded to sell the best bow

Whoa whoa, what lute girl?! D:

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by fireundubh
This. With a high Lucky Charm stat, nearly every container contains at least two Rare+ items. By the time I finished Bloodmoon Island, more than half of my inventory was just unidentified items. Lucky Charm 6+ definitely needs to be nerfed.

Whereas someone like me who doesn't have any points into Lucky Charm is impoverished in terms of loot and is at level 11 wearing gear several levels lower because I haven't found much decent stuff, and can't afford to replace much of it each level.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S

White Knight? I'm not apologizing for anything in the game. You can be salty, but you don't need to be so hostile because I listed an alternative, and because I mentioned that vendor camping isn't necessary, because it's not.

As for Lucky Charm, I'm not sure it honestly matters either way. It's obviously "luck" based, but all that I ever end up getting with Lucky Charm over a playthrough is sellable trash the majority of the time. So all I get is more gold, when being able to get the items from a vendor I want has never been an issue to begin with.

Originally Posted by Stabbey
Originally Posted by fireundubh

Whereas someone like me who doesn't have any points into Lucky Charm is impoverished in terms of loot and is at level 11 wearing gear several levels lower because I haven't found much decent stuff, and can't afford to replace much of it each level.

Impoverished? I guess stealing isn't something you want to lower yourself into doing then? You only need to regear every 2-3 levels (sometimes much later if you're wearing rings and an amulet that have needed or good bonuses for your build, and a socket) until level 17+ and even then it's almost exclusively going to be a weapon for physical classes. You can also simply hold off until you're a bit through an Act before stealing, since it can only be done once with a single character per vendor, or simply respec two non thieving characters and go on a stealing spree, while you save your fourth for when an act is about finished and the vendors that you'll never access again have higher stocked gear and books.

Lucky Charm is obviously going to net you a bit more gold over a playthrough, but enough that you can't still get everything you want without it? I'm just now leaving Act 2 on my current playthrough and sitting at 172K gold on an all physical team, and I've only ever respecced two of my characters to steal aside from my primary thief two times and have never wanted for gear. Levels go by too quickly in Act 2 initially for worrying about upgrades to matter all that much aside from weapons and runes. Currently at 7 Lucky Charm, and I still don't get the "non stop epic chain from containers" that people talk about either. On my previous playthroughs it seemed like I might get an item every 5-10 containers at most and usually it was some blue garbage that didn't sell for much anyway. With my current playthrough, occasionally I'll see a purple within two containers, but that's ultra rare. This was before the patch BTW.

Last edited by Sanctuary; 30/09/17 06:35 AM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by UnderworldHades
Whoa whoa, what lute girl?! D:

By the windmill just to the east of Driftwood.

J'aime le fromage.
F
enthusiast
enthusiast
F
Originally Posted by Stabbey

I actually restarted my playthrough and intentionally didn't add points to Lucky Charm, because the amount of loot that was dropping was getting ridiculous. One point should be enough if you're tired of empty containers though.

If you're lucky (har har), you can find gear that gives you +Lucky Charm.

In my opinion, I think the base Luck stat should be Lucky Charm 1.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard