Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Is it this post? I'm rather hoping so as it would be quite strange if it's gone missing for some unknown reason.

J'aime le fromage.
C
Bugfinder General
Bugfinder General
C
Yes, but, where was it? A lot of continuation too that I missed.

Oh, I did some research with the chronology that Raze directed me to some time ago and a Wiki and this is what I came up with (does it appear correct to you?):

Dragon Commander
Original Sin
Original Sin II
Divine Divinity
Beyond Divinity
Divinity II (Saga/director's cut)

Last edited by caninelegion; 01/10/17 10:05 AM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I just clicked on your name and then "view posts" in the drop-down and there it was. The forum search can be a bit of an acquired taste though and has things to confound the unfamiliar (the search period is one that's bitten me a few times).

I *think* Original Sin II would need to come between DD and BD: as Lucian was a nobody before DD, given that he's the protagonist, or rather she is in my game, and BD kind of builds on all the fallout.

But other than that, yeah, Dragon Commander is ancient history, thousands of years in the past; over 1,200 years pass between D:OS and DD, then another 80 between DD and DKS during which all the other stuff happens.

J'aime le fromage.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by caninelegion
Yes, but, where was it? A lot of continuation too that I missed.

Oh, I did some research with the chronology that Raze directed me to some time ago and a Wiki and this is what I came up with (does it appear correct to you?):

Dragon Commander
Original Sin
Original Sin II
Divine Divinity
Beyond Divinity
Divinity II (Saga/director's cut)

Its:
Dragon Commander (10000 years before DD)
divinity Original Sin (1200 years before DD)
Divine Divinity
Beyond Divinity (20 years after DD)
Divinity Original Sin 2 (4 years after BD)
Divinity 2 DKS (which after finishing DOS 2 isnt really possible anymore Edit: its still possible, but only in the purge all source ending (which i didnt choose on my playthrough))

Last edited by kcnik; 01/10/17 02:12 PM.

[Insert something funny here]
kcnik #624523 01/10/17 01:54 PM
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by kcnik
Its:
Dragon Commander (10000 years before DD)
divinity Original Sin (1200 years before DD)
Divine Divinity
Beyond Divinity (20 years after DD)
Divinity Original Sin 2 (4 years after BD)
Divinity 2 DKS (which after finishing DOS 2 isnt really possible anymore)

That's interesting, I remember there was some confusion about where OS2 fitted in ages ago but I couldn't remember the outcome. So Damian is already back in Rivellon and well-established by the time of OS2? I'm surprised they didn't make a bigger deal about it.

I'm still unclear about why DKS is an impossibility: does anybody fancy summarising it for me in a way that doesn't involve quite a long video? Offhand there's the matter of Lucian, which I've already mentioned was broken for me long before OS2 as my Lucian is female and wasn't called Lucian, and Arhu who appears in cat form at the end of DKS, but as we've seen, killing things in Rivellon doesn't guarantee them staying dead. I'm still wondering how many of the residents of Broken Valley Village survived what we now know as deathfog: we know of at least several, but I'm mostly hoping that the local gossips survived because they were a laugh.

J'aime le fromage.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by vometia

That's interesting, I remember there was some confusion about where OS2 fitted in ages ago but I couldn't remember the outcome. So Damian is already back in Rivellon and well-established by the time of OS2? I'm surprised they didn't make a bigger deal about it.

I'm still unclear about why DKS is an impossibility: does anybody fancy summarising it for me in a way that doesn't involve quite a long video? Offhand there's the matter of Lucian, which I've already mentioned was broken for me long before OS2 as my Lucian is female and wasn't called Lucian, and Arhu who appears in cat form at the end of DKS, but as we've seen, killing things in Rivellon doesn't guarantee them staying dead. I'm still wondering how many of the residents of Broken Valley Village survived what we now know as deathfog: we know of at least several, but I'm mostly hoping that the local gossips survived because they were a laugh.

Not 100% sure on the timeline either, its just what i read in EA. It was posted by Raze and has not been corrected by micheal_larian when i posted it on steam. Also in the one of the earlier Factsheets, it states that its 4 years after Beyond Divinity.

Also its based on what is written here:
http://divinity.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline
And here:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/435150/discussions/0/133258092253865506/
And here:
http://larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=585083

And the lore book too states that DOS 2 starts in the year 1242AD. Which would be 4 years after Beyond Divinity.

This kickstarter update ( https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin-2/posts/1349217 : Can you meet young Damian? No, this is just before Beyond Divinity, he's still stuck in Nemesis. ) however, states that DOS 2 is playing WHILE Damian is banished which would make a lot more sense lore wise imo.

That Diviniy 2 is impossible was just an assumpotion i made before reading up on the other endings.
Its still possible, not on every ending obviously. Its impossible in my ending since i became the new divine. I edited my comment above.
Divinity 2 just doesnt fit very well anymore.
Damian died according to DOS 2. (Well okay Tarquin may be able to resurrect him, IF Damian really died)
Lucian was never killed by a dragon knight IN the war against Damian. You could add this AFTER DOS 2 though. Dallis is a Dragon Knight after all.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
The timelines do seem a bit vague and contradictory: when you meet with the tedious historian guy in Arx, he speaks as if the events of 1233/38/whenever were long ago rather than contemporary, though that is just an interpretation. And I think it makes more sense if OS2 happens before BD.

I think Larian has a sort of canonical story regardless of your choices which is why I keep mentioning "not my Lucian", since Lucian as depicted after DD is not the character I played, either in terms of personality, intent, gender or name. But that's what he is, so that's what I've had to accept. I guess the story does what it wants, and D2 is as much a part of it as any other bit: which of course I would say since it remains my favourite part of the series, but it's not like certain assumptions aren't without precedent.

And there is that gnarly matter of when dead is actually dead, since certain characters just won't give up, Braccus (who ISTR I already killed twice in D:OS) and Zombie Jake being just two.

J'aime le fromage.
C
Bugfinder General
Bugfinder General
C
Well, I see where I made my mistake (of sorts). This is contradictory I believe:
Note- Divinity: Original Sin 2 will be taking place over 1200 years after Original Sin. It'll be set after Damian's banishment to Nemesis, but just before Beyond Divinity.☀https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin-2/posts/1349217

Since OS was 4 AR, +1200 = 1196 AD and it lists DD as 1200 AD. It does say "over" so could mean anything, I suppose. Anyway, I did the math and didn't read the rest. Either way, my next game will be either Dragon Commander or OS2. Might like to wait a bit for OS2; no matter who puts a game out and how well play tested, there are always problems that need to be worked out in the first half-year or so and the game should still be full price then (to support Larian).

Last edited by caninelegion; 01/10/17 08:05 PM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I could never really get into Dragon Commander, though some people think very highly of it.

And I guess I view things like Rivellon's histories and maps as a bit like their real-world counterparts in that they tend to be slightly fluid, ill-defined things which are liable to be revised by the next generation of cartographers and historians! I think they all fit together, just that they need the occasional delicate application of a hammer now and again.

J'aime le fromage.
old hand
old hand
Is there any explanation for how Lucian ended up in the crystal in the Plane of Hypnerectowhatever?

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I think there was, but things tend not to stay lodged in my memory for very long. Times like this we need Raze and his encyclopaedic knowledge, but I think he's busy elsewhere for now.

J'aime le fromage.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by virumor
Is there any explanation for how Lucian ended up in the crystal in the Plane of Hypnerectowhatever?

The real question is: How did the killer bunny end up in the same place?

I doubt that there was ever a real explanation given on how Lucian ended up there. In a Kickstarter update for Divinity Original Sin, which explains the basic story line of the Divinity universe, it says the following:

"Here he found the lost Dragon Knight and no other than the Divine, who was in fact still alive and likewise imprisoned by Damian."

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin/posts/452503

Which would mean that Damian imprisioned him.

M
stranger
stranger
M
I think, if the reason is not said, it's logical: logically, lucian is dead when he was attacked in the 7 sanctuary. even if he was "save" with the ritual for become the divine, he was "dead" for become the divine. this is why he only reaper few month after the ritual in divine, it's because he was dead.

so we can think that when he "died" he can't leave the hypertomanci plan for the "dead plan" because he have the power of the "divine" who lock this transision.

so in this case, DKS is not impossible

sorry for my english, i'm french so it's possible that i have lot of error of translation

cyseal Offline OP
OP Offline
I was thinking next Larain IP could be an game which is similar to Bioshock.

• *metroidvania level design
  • *systemic approach to gameplay
  • *rich story and strong characters

Last edited by cyseal; 12/07/18 07:44 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by cyseal
I was thinking next Larain IP could be an game which is similar to Bioshock.

• *metroidvania level design
  • *systemic approach to gameplay
  • *rich story and strong characters

Some kind of shooter in Rivellon? Hmm, why not? We had a Dragon with Jetpack, so everything is possible laugh.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I was about to suggest a post-apocalyptic Rivellon for a laugh until I realised that basically everything that happened since Dragon Commander is its post-apocalyptic era!

J'aime le fromage.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by vometia
I was about to suggest a post-apocalyptic Rivellon for a laugh until I realised that basically everything that happened since Dragon Commander is its post-apocalyptic era!

Hum. You are not wrong oO ... but what is Divinity 2 then? The Black Ring looks a bit like the Raiders from Mad Max 2 and everything is kaputt too laugh.

So, did we get it all wrong? Was Divinity almost always post-apocalyptic-fantasy with talking objects laugh ? Did Larian innovate the genre without knowing?

cyseal Offline OP
OP Offline

old hand
old hand
Baldurs Gate 3

cyseal Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Horrorscope
Baldurs Gate 3

think

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth