Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Nezix Offline OP
OP Offline
In the future I want to play the game again as a solo Mage, heavily focused on Aero magic.

While it would be very easy for me (with lone wolf) to just drop 1 point into just about every combat ability to get things like:
Haste
Cloak and Dagger
Tactical Retreat
Adrenaline
etc

I dislike that approach from a roleplaying standpoint. So instead I've started messing around with the mod creator to make some new skills that are still thematically suited to Aero but help fill in gaps.

I'm looking for suggestions / wishlist spells you think would have been awesome to have as part of Aero

So far:
- Ride the Lightning : Very similar to Warfare's Blitz Attack except I'm making it chain more, apply shocked and not require or use a weapon. The idea is for some additional yet risky movement. Could be used to get in or out of a fight without being a straight teleport.

- Lightning Jump : Very similar to Warfare's Phoenix Dive except it leaves a small puddle of electrified water where you land and does not have a hole in the center for yourself (so you will be shocked).

As a solo player I will probably have the lower the regular Aero cooldowns a little because otherwise I just won't have any abilities after 2 rounds.

Looking forward to your suggestions!

J
stranger
stranger
J
I'm not super far in the game, but is there a low cost spell like Ignition where you electrify the area around you? If not, then something like that would be my suggestion.

Last edited by jred250; 05/10/17 08:07 PM.
Nezix Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by jred250
I'm not super far in the game, but is there a low cost spell like Ignition where you electrify the area around you? If not, then something like that would be my suggestion.

Good idea! I've made it smile It took me a lot longer because this time instead of just swapping various effects around I copied an existing effect and increased it so the shockwave that travels out (similar to Ignition) would be bigger and fit the radius of the effect. I'm still very new to the editor so new ground moves slowly.

Need more suggestions!

apprentice
apprentice
Classic "Wind Blade" skill short range cleave damage. mage

Sauce Hunter
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
This is easy.

Go to http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Default.aspx

Look up any Blue or Red (or both) cards that fits the theme.

Nezix Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Limz
This is easy.

You'd think after playing magic for ~19 years I would have thought of that. Doh!

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted by Nezix
This is easy.

You'd think after playing magic for ~19 years I would have thought of that. Doh!

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic.

But if I had to cobble up something real quick to flesh out the current ability set in OS2 I would first state the problem (in my case, I think defensive options need to be refined and all the schools need better choices) and then see how other games tackled it. MTG has the richest set of interactions and I would begin there and see if I could translate some of the things over there to here.

Also, MTG has a whole library of made up bullcrap and names. It's almost like a dictionary or thesaurus of abilities. The next thing I would look at would be something like a D&D source book.

Nezix Offline OP
OP Offline

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic.

But if I had to cobble up something real quick to flesh out the current ability set in OS2 I would first state the problem (in my case, I think defensive options need to be refined and all the schools need better choices) and then see how other games tackled it. MTG has the richest set of interactions and I would begin there and see if I could translate some of the things over there to here.

Also, MTG has a whole library of made up bullcrap and names. It's almost like a dictionary or thesaurus of abilities. The next thing I would look at would be something like a D&D source book.

Sorry for not being more clear, I wasn't being sarcastic. The only downside so far at looking through gatherer is that there are of course just dozens of almost the exact same thing for "does lightning damage". I'm actually steering away from just boring damage stuff though, it seems like it's mostly covered already.

I've made something similar to Peace of Mind but more focused on a mental surge of sorts. I'm also working on something similar to Bone Cage or Thick Of the Fight but where you'll get +1 Aero for each shocked or stunned character within a radius around you.

Nezix Offline OP
OP Offline
So far I have:
- Electrical Overload (Air version of Ignition)
- Ride the Lightning (Air version of Blitz Attack + hits more targets)
- Cerebral Surge (Air version of Peace of Mind: Int, Wits, +1 Persuasion, +Accuracy, +Clear Blindness only)
- Lightning Jump (Air version of Phoenix Dive, but leaves a electrified puddle that will shock you)
- Electromagnetic Consumption (A buff that gives you +1 Aero and an additional +1 Aero for each shocked/stunned character within the radius)
- Thunder Cloud Wall (Similar to Living Wall but doesn't block anything and only creates an electrified steam cloud).
- Chain Lightning (small) - A non-source version of chain lightning that does less damage and hits only 2 additional targets (down from 7).

Any other ideas or suggestions?

D
stranger
stranger
D
Not sure if you're intending to keep this Aero only, but I would say look into hybrid skills aswell. Say, a hybrid Hydro/Aero skill that makes an electrified puddle or some such. Could that work? Maybe gaining certain damage % bonus from each skillstree. Else, something like a "Static Cage", shocking/stunning whoever leaves it, sounds cool.

On another note, i've always felt that haste should've been an Aero skill.... or a "Hybrid" fire/aero skill, at least.

Great initiative either way! Always been a big fan of the Lightning element in general and I admit I felt this game lacked something in it.

old hand
old hand
Remove Silence and Suffocating, target and area versions.
Gust Knockdown, target and area versions.
Tornado with knockdown.

S
stranger
stranger
S
Against the wind.
AoE about the same size as blinding radiance but slows enemies that are facing you (quite heavily i might add).

Nezix Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the suggestions! I've been trying to find more "wind" themed (instead of lightning) spells and a bunch of these fit the bill.

V
journeyman
journeyman
V
Electric Conduit - Wrap yourself with lightning, randomly strike an enemy in 10 meters each turn. Add 10% evasion. 50% air damage.

Overload - Mass strike everyone around you (90% damage) and increase air damage for 3 turns (175%). Leave your character stunned for one turn after use.

Zephyrus's Descendant (2ap 2 source) - Wind wrap around you, increase movement speed, reduce attack ap (down to 1), massively increase crit chance (40%). 2 turns.

Celestial Hand (1ap 1 source)- Vacuum all enemies in 15 meters. Cannot be blocked by magic shield.

Cloud Walking: Increase your movement speed, impervious to surface effect.

Wind Strike: Throw a spear make of wind to target, damage all enemy on its path and push them aside.

Fork Fork Goo: You're too fast for them. Leave illusion after each move. (3 turns)

K
apprentice
apprentice
K
- Lightning Cage: Trap enemies in small electric cage for one or two turns.
- Static Form: Infuse with lightning. Take reduced damage. Gain little movement speed and left trail of lightning(electrified water?) on path.

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
Static Electricity: Target one creature with a 5m AoE that does INT-based electricity damage to all foes in that field for 3 turns. If you target a foe, it is Shocked and stacks to Stunned, both ignoring magic armor. If you target a friend, he gains 2% electricity resist per character level.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard