Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
journeyman
journeyman
This sounds like a great idea for a mod. If there isn't one already?

I personally love the new armor system. And combined with the beautiful world and lore... I just couldn't be happier with this game.

"Keep distant, My own demons still haunt me too closely. I cannot also bear the burden of yours."
stranger
stranger
I wholeheartedly agree. The armour system is the one thing that's really stood out to me as a poor design decision. It's way too obvious that splitting your damage instead of focusing on all physical or all magical is horrendously sub-optimal and only makes the game harder for yourself.

V
journeyman
journeyman
V
The only logical choice here is adding CC resistance chance to both amour.

You have 100% amour on? good, you're immune to any first CC spell casted on you. After that your chance go down gradually as enemy attack/throw spells at you. It isn't much different than current system, it just isn't 1+1=2 boring shit that promote "DAMAGE! DAMAGE!" above all else.

Say you have one mage that specialized on CC spells, that mage is the most useless crap ever has in party.
Because there is little damage, get punished for not focusing on 1 or 2 schools, CAN'T do jack first few turns.

It's just horsecrap of this armor system that make non-damage focused build go total useless.

Of all thing, combat in this game should be unpredictable because of finite enemy and finite encounters. RNG adding good element for the game to feel "alive"; just as how real life is never 100%.

This kind of armor system obviously come from the idea of 6 AP max bullshit some idiot in devs team think of.

Edit: beside, this armor system make some skills LITERALLY useless. Taunt bounce off armor? ok, let me strip my armor down so you can taunt me wtf?

Last edited by Violet Gekko; 04/10/17 12:15 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Why people even complain regarding this matter?
In the endgame you can be immune to absolutely every CC.
I had 0 problems with this, and in the endgame = no competition at all...
Played solo through all content
Some stats...
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Eugen; 04/10/17 01:16 PM.
I
journeyman
journeyman
I
Some enemies have low to 0 physical armour, some have low to 0 magical armour. Focusing on only 1 is kinda dumb when you can break 1 for free. This idea completely nullifies that and makes everyone an armoured tank unless they lack both. What's more, different armour types block different cc affects, so only relying on one damage type can really hamper your options.

gambling on some rng cc affect is not a deep strategic decision. It's just a sign of gambling addiction.
veteran
veteran
Combining magical and physical armor into one is TOO much of a simplification. The larger problem is that mixed magical/physical teams are discouraged because they have zero synergy. Keep both armors, but split the damage so that Physical attacks do, 67-75% of their damage to Physical Armor, and 33-25% of their damage to Magical Armor. Magical attacks are the reverse (67-75% to Magical, 33-25% to Physical). This allows for better synergy between mixed teams.

If one type of armor is gone but the other is still up, damage from the opposing type can seep through to Vitality at the same rate.

So a Magic attack which does 100 damage and inflicts a CC, hitting an enemy which has 500 health, 0 Physical armor, and 300 Magical Armor. The spell will do 75 damage to the Magical armor, and 25 damage to health. The CC is blocked because magic armor remains. The enemy now has 475 HP and 225 Magical armor.

A Physical attack does 100 damage and inflicts Bleed hitting that enemy will do 75 damage to vitality and inflict Bleed (no Physical Armor to block it), and 25 damage to Magic armor, reducing it to 200.

Obviously once both armors are gone all damage goes to health and statuses will land.

Originally Posted by Violet Gekko
The only logical choice here is adding CC resistance chance to both amour.

You have 100% amour on? good, you're immune to any first CC spell casted on you. After that your chance go down gradually as enemy attack/throw spells at you.

You're adding random chance back in, which is the exact thing armor was added to remove.

It isn't much different than current system

False. It's totally different than the current system. Because you're adding random chance back in.

V
journeyman
journeyman
V

False. It's totally different than the current system. Because you're adding random chance back in.

No it doesn't. My method allowing non-heavy damage CC skill has an use sooner than current one.
Just ask everyone. If you don't go full damage on everyone on squad, you're playing it wrong (seriously?). This also partly get rid of bloated stat somehow (a band-aid); because you don't really need to strip 100% to CC. You can bet your luck half the armor.
Many thing are hard-coded into the game and cannot be changed in anyway, like damage type. Also keep how physical CC only affect physical armor and vice versa. Don't mix two up.

Last edited by Violet Gekko; 04/10/17 02:14 PM.
old hand
old hand
The only issue I see is Eugen's bloated stats. We need in-game mods like X-com and one needs to be Remove Armor for those dismayed by it and when you choose that, armor goes away game wide and vitality is boosted X%. Then players have a choice how they want to play. If not, I like this system better than DOS1.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Violet Gekko
No it doesn't.

Then you are not explaining it well. Because "CC resistance chance" and "your chance go down gradually" sound EXACTLY like Random chance to inflict CC.

I
stranger
stranger
I
I downvote the idea...

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Igniz13
Some enemies have low to 0 physical armour, some have low to 0 magical armour. Focusing on only 1 is kinda dumb when you can break 1 for free. This idea completely nullifies that and makes everyone an armoured tank unless they lack both. What's more, different armour types block different cc affects, so only relying on one damage type can really hamper your options.
But it doesn't hamper your options at all, in fact, it drastically increases your damage output in the vast majority of scenarios. Unlike a split party which has to individually focus each enemy based on their own strengths and weaknesses, an all-same damage party can just focus the biggest threat and be done with them.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard