Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Leroy32 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
I can't decide who to take, ATM I'm leaning toward fane, sibille, beast, I'm playing as ifan.

I'm wondering anyone who's completed it what they think if anyone's even complete it more than once and tried all characters that is.

Most annoying thing is I hate red prince but the black cat is attached to the bugger so if I don't take him I don't get the kitty. Lol.

R
apprentice
apprentice
R
You can just not recruit Red Prince, or meet the kitty on your Avatar instead of leading with Red Prince, I think.

That said, I've just got to Arx, so I don't have a complete picture of the whole game, let alone several playthroughs and so far I really really like Ifan's quest arc (playing Lohse avatar, so he is one of the companions). Feels like he has the most interactions out of my party too, but that might be the affection system at work. Not sure. And I thought his story bits were well spaced out through act II and and III.

Fane is great for snarky darkish humor and some unexpected quest outcomes (do yourself a favor and initiate and play 'Love has a price' quest as him, its hilarious. I also think you gain a lot of story insight of why things that are happening to Rivellon are happening from taking him as a companion too. Though maybe that can be said about most of companions and their different perspectives .

Beast has his moments, though I found his interaction dwindled a bit after the first part of act II. It might pick up in Arx again, as that's where his quest is pointing to. I found him to be a less 'controversial' companion, easy to like, unlike Sebelle and Red Prince who do not make a very good first impression in fort joy (though I've read they ARE interesting companions once you get past that)

Can't comment on how Lohse is as a companion, but I am absolutely loving her story as a main avatar smile. I think her motivations are sufficiently different from everyone else's to make for a quite different play-though, but then again, I am not done with the game yet... just some initial impressions!

L
Leroy32 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
Games amazing, haven't been this addicted to a game in ages, Witcher 3 last game I enjoyed as much, and to think before this I hated isometric, turn based games though mainly because I thought most weren't story character based but more just multiplayer loot grinds and no voiced dialogue, thought they were too MMO like, now I'm playing this on tactician and getting pretty good at it too

Screw it I'm gonna go with stuck up red prince, sebille, fane. I did kinda like my pirate two hander DPS dwarf though. Red prince can maybe take that role. Least then I get the cat too as I ain't starting again after 50 hours just to get him attached to differnt character

Last edited by Leroy32; 06/10/17 06:31 AM.
M
journeyman
journeyman
M
Well, Lohse had the best fight though I think its bugged. I weakened the demon but he still had 20k armor and 30k magic armor. But when I ran and went back, he only had 5k amor (etc) and was trivial. So I assume the weakening didnt apply in my 1st fight. That said, I almost took down the 20k version. That was a good fight. I was actually disappointed in the 5k version after setting up for a epic showdown. She also had a tie in with Jahan from DOS1.

I found Fane boring. With exception to the end reveal, he was a blank slate.

Sebille was ok but cliche. Even being cannibals with strange looks, elves were basically a carbon copy of any old elf from other fantasy setting. The entire arc with Sehela or whatever was also not well developed.

Ifan was ok only because of his back story. But honestly his interactions were predictable and nothing particular interesting happens with him.

Last edited by Marc54; 06/10/17 07:15 AM.
L
Leroy32 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
Lol so you didn't really like any of them ?

M
journeyman
journeyman
M
Originally Posted by Leroy32
Lol so you didn't really like any of them ?

Well for quests, it had to be Lohse for the reasons above and other aspects that I dont want to give away because they are spoilers. She seemed to have a lot more impact on the game than anyone else except maybe Ifan due to stuff he did prior to the game. The problem with Ifan is his story is history game wise whereas Lohse was directly involved. Fane, was also heavily involved, but again it was historic. Sebille didnt really matter all that much. Her involvement was fairly removed from the plot overall though the elves themselves made an impact as a race.

I did not try the dwarf or the lizard yet though from what I saw, they both had some important some stuff happening in Arx but again, both seem somewhat disconnected from the plot based on what I gathered from pieces here and there without them in my party.

Last edited by Marc54; 06/10/17 10:13 AM.
T
T
Ifan is great as main character so far, he is quite classical "badass" type of guy, with snarky comments, lot of old "friends" all around the world, and is generaly conflicted person - allowing you to shape him how you like to play smile

Lohse is amazing companion, because she will sing you a song =)

Fane is funny as bag of badgers sometimes, and really helps with uncovering the history of Rivellon (it just feels right to have him on board).

Sebille felt great in the beginning, I dont really like her late development, but its just my personal taste (she came back to classical elven cliches)

I have beast in my party.. aaand he is quite boring to be honest. Nothing interesting really comes to my mind with him.

Cant comment on Red Prince, as I don´t have him in party, I am planning to have him as player character in "badass villain" walkthrough.

L
Leroy32 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
Hmmm OK now you guys got me considering lohse instead of sebille, I just prefer sebille voice actor, I get a feeling it's Samantha traynor from Mass effect 3

I've decided definitely fane, red prince, and toss up between sebille lohse

Last edited by Leroy32; 06/10/17 11:44 AM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Hmmm OK now you guys got me considering lohse instead of sebille, I just prefer sebille voice actor, I get a feeling it's Samantha traynor from Mass effect 3

It is indeed; also the Inquisitor from DA3, and the narrator from the original Original Sin.

J'aime le fromage.
L
Leroy32 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
Yeah knew it was. The music in this game is incredible.

veteran
veteran
I like Lohse so far, cause his story and the motivations of the search for divinity are totally different from the rest, and has a interesting duality between her lighthearted-classclown personality and her dark passenger. Maybe he can be even better as a main char? Gotta try that next time.

Beast is fine I guess, but his story do not develop until very far in the game, only little conversations with random dwarves until act 3. He seems to get a lot of help from them to bypass easily several parts of the game, wich I really do not like much. He´s agreable enough, typical friendly brawling overdrinking dwarf that you saw lots of times but never gets old. Plus he gets even more songs than Lohse...

Ifan I like. Grizzled veteran with a big mouth and a very dark past. He feels like your faithful bro, something like Garrus of ME. Has conversations with a lot of important characters and has interjections in lots of key places. He is the one I feel more intertwined with the main story, at least it feels like that.
I think his main story crosses a lot with Sebille, those two have a lot in common. I think they will get along well ( if they talk between them). Thing is... I like the voice actress since ME, making her the silent main protagonist is a no-no.

I am enjoying Fane a lot, his sarcastic comments and his brutally sincere and snobbish interjections. His quest to get faces and being able to get a peek into Rivellon ancient history looks well, but I my playthrough with him is not very far.
I did not play much Red prince either, but I expected something different about him and his overlord behaviour, and he continues to surprise me. I am trying those two now and i think I am going to enjoy them.

Last edited by _Vic_; 06/10/17 09:40 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
Red Prince and Beast. They are incredibly funny.

The scene where Beast meet Lohar in the undertavern is hilarious. Poor guard. silence

Or when he gets back his 'lil captain hat.

Sauce Hunter
C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
Lohse's quest is in my opinion THE best companion quest, what a roller coaster ride that was, and an excellent finisher.

Come close to second is Fane, because his story is literally the game's story.

Havent tried on others, but Sebille's rebellion against god tree was pretty anticlimatic. Also Sahila end up as a parody than mattering for anything.

M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
i agree that saheila started out interesting and then fizzled out into obscurity/boring cliche as the game went on. there was a serious lack of coherence in the writing for that particular arc and it felt as though more than one person wrote it. as for sebille, i'd like her more if she wasn't trying to make out with me every other interaction we have, like good god can we just be friends

the vengeful ex-slave thing was cool though

lohse's quest line is pretty great and culminates in one of the most difficult fights in the game, so it delivers more than most other quests

beast's arc was good since the whole dwarven subplot actually runs quite deep and is interesting to learn about, but as a character he just fell back on dwarf tropes too much; big beard, kind of irreverent, agreeable and loyal with a rowdy side

the red prince's questline is cool but has a few hiccups here and there, particularly concerning a certain bug involving eternally respawning enemies. also the most disappointing ending of all if you romanced him (this random lady i dreamed about is more important than you but hey you can still be my slave if you want) but if you didn't then it turns out fine. his ending reminds me of how much i want some form of continuation with companion relationships in a dlc or expansion at some point since a lot of the endings feel very unsatisfactory

fane's arc lore-wise is very interesting and, as it progresses, you get a bigger and bigger understanding of exactly who you are traveling with, but the quests themselves felt lacking, maybe just in numbers. i enjoyed the black pits but it didn't feel like we had to branch off much for him, which isn't that surprising since undead characters were among the last things to be added iirc

i liked ifan's questline a lot and putting down his former boss was a lot of fun. sort of a predictable character like beast but not offensively so

Last edited by miaasma; 07/10/17 08:36 AM.
L
Leroy32 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
Hmm by what you guys say I think I'd be best with, red prince, fane, lohse, I'm playing as ifan

stranger
stranger
I picked FANE as my character because of the mistery behind his origin and I was not disappointed. Considering the whole game storyline I cant see how you cant at least have him as a SURVIVING party member all the way to the end of the game. I still wonder what his dialogue is at the end as a party member and not main protagonist.
If anybody reading this before starting the game, do yourself a favor and at least have Fane as a party member, he is pretty much key to the whole thing and you will be well rewarded lore-wise. Everyone else story pales in comparison to his and the choices he has to do as main character.

My other party member were:
- Beast - was a mistake should have gone with the Red Prince. Little happens with his story compared to the others.
- Lohse - imo her story is really good and the conclusion is satisfactory.
- Sebille - not good not bad, generic elven lore had a sense of deja vu..

On a side note, through out the whole game I couldnt not stop thinking about how Fane's story is really similar to Solas from Dragon Age Inquisition.

M
journeyman
journeyman
M
Lohse has the best story by far. Most unique, well written and well woven in.

Sebille is probably my second favourite after Lohse.

Beast was a total disappointment. Playing as him, I did not feel like he provided any additional content into the game.

Fane is good but a bit disjointed at times. Good lore value.

Ifan felt a bit meh. His story is well integrated but I just found him a bit boring.

Red Prince is a chump and the least amenable from the lot. His story is solid, but you can do the bulk of it without having him on board.

e: forgot to mention - Lohse's downside is the shit conversation tags. I only used Jester a couple of times because the "jests" are beyond awful. Mystic is unremarkable.

Scholar is the most useful conversation tag by a long shot, meaning that it is helpful to have Sebille/Fane in your party. Not having this simply locks you out of a bunch of quests (e.g. Bloodmoon Island vaults) or does not allow for the best quest outcome (e.g. A danger to herself and others).

Last edited by Mermaid; 07/10/17 05:45 PM.
L
Leroy32 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
Yeah I don't like the red prince but I read he gets a bit likeable later

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Yeah I don't like the red prince but I read he gets a bit likeable later

I haven't really felt the inclination to find out: he was okay in the early alphas when I needed a handy tank, but the more personality they gave him, the less I liked him...

J'aime le fromage.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard