Next Thread
Print Thread
#627583 07/10/17 03:52 AM
D
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
I'm curious to know if anyone has figured out how to extract and potentially modify the animations in this game. I've managed to get as far as importing a usable character model and its associated rig into Maya using Norbyte's PAK extractor (In .DAE format), however nothing appears to happen when I import what I assume are the animation files (Also in .DAE format). I'm fairly certain that my import settings are correct (And I've tried basically every possible option to be sure), but I can't find any indication that any data is being added to my project scene.

Granted, I've never worked with Collada files before, so I can only assume that I'm doing something wrong. However, I've tried this in 3DS Max, Maya, and Blender now with the same lack of results.

Anyone have any ideas?

K
stranger
stranger
K
I am with you, but I just want to speed up the animations or make their duration shorter.

F
enthusiast
enthusiast
F
Norbyte's converter has "very rudimentary support" for animations.

He posted somewhat of an overall status update the other day.

D
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
Sure, though it sounds as though some level of support has been implemented, even if it is only rudimentary. Just been driving me nuts that I can't even get as far as getting curves into the timeline.

N
addict
addict
N
What are you using to open the converted animations and which files are you converting? I can open the anim export DAE-s in Biender.

D
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
The files that I'm using were located in the Shared.pak file. The animations are, I assume, the files located in folders with the "_ABC" suffix, going by how they're named (eg, "Humans_Hero_Male_ABC_Attack_1H_01.gr2"). When I run such a .GR2 through your converter, it gives me a standard .DAE file. I've tried importing these into both Blender and Maya after loading the associated character model and rig, but nothing seems to be added.

EDIT: I seem to have made some progress on this. I tried extracting an animation from an entirely different creature altogether (this time one of the Imp's attack animations), and oddly enough that seemed to read just fine in Blender (even if it didn't want to stick to the Imp's character model, despite the settings I applied in the armature options). I'm not sure what exactly is different about this animation file in particular, but after comparing it to the problematic ones in Notepad++, I did note that the <library_visual_scenes> section holds a considerable amount of data where the problematic ones have only
Code
  <library_visual_scenes>
    <visual_scene id="DefaultVisualScene" name="unnamed" />
  </library_visual_scenes>

Whether or not that actually means anything I couldn't say, but it's the only structural difference I can find aside from apparently having been built in 3DS Max as opposed to Maya.

Last edited by Daring Do; 08/10/17 09:40 PM.
N
addict
addict
N
I can see what the issue is. In D:OS EE, the skeleton was always included in the animation GR2 file, so I could just export it alongside the animations, and Blender would recognize it. In D:OS 2 animations, the skeleton was removed, only the animation tracks are available in GR2, so the skeleton has to be imported or generated in some way. I'll see what possibilities there are.

N
addict
addict
N
Soo I cooked up a beta version that'll probably fix your issue:
https://s3.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/nb-stor/dos/ExportTool/ExportTool-v1.8.7-beta.zip

After importing the original .GR2, you should check the "Copy skeleton from:" checkbox and select the source mesh that contains the skeleton that is being animated. For example, when exporting "Creatures_Dragon_ABC_Attack_UA_01.GR2" you would use "Creatures_Dragons_A.GR2" as a skeleton source.

A
stranger
stranger
A
I've been testing this new version and creatures and animal's animations work pretty fine but seems that human's animation aren't easy to obtain. The only way to export a male human animation is using" Humans_Female_Base.GR2" as base and not them all are possible to extract.
By the way, really good job and keep on it, u are turning divinity's mod community into something great just by yourself.

D
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
Hey, that worked out pretty well! I'm still having trouble attaching animations to the humanoid character models as they have different body parts spread across multiple DAE files, but this does seem to be a step in the right direction.

Firstly though, this does seem to function just perfectly when using any fully "assembled" character models. For instance, I tested this out with the "ProxyMesh_Lizards_Hero_Male_Fullbody" DAE file as the base and applied the lizard's run cycle to it as an action in Blender without any issue.

Unfortunately, I can't get the same to work if I want to swap out any of the interchangeable body parts (such as the head).

The main difficulty seems to be with simply "assembling" all the body parts while keeping the armature intact. Importing all the files in Blender, even with "Find bone chains" option toggled, seems to create numerous separate armatures. I've tried correcting the hierarchy manually, but this never seems to play nice with the animation. I've even gone as far as recompiling my edits into a GR2 and using that for the skeleton file in the converter. It *almost* worked in Maya. I'm probably just doing something wrong here, but anyways.

Still, huge thanks!

Last edited by Daring Do; 09/10/17 10:13 PM.
G
stranger
stranger
G
Why can't I check the "Copy skeleton from:" box? This line is simply not active.
And the second question is why when importing animations into blender, he simply does not see them? Please help, I'm desperate

Moderated by  Larian_KVN 

Link Copied to Clipboard