Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#628239 08/10/17 03:19 PM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I've already downloaded DOS2 at GOG. Apparently I either crowdfunded or paid for an early purchase because Linux was mentioned as a supported platform. I can't run this download. A few people seem to have success getting it to work in Linux, but unfortunately I'm with the crowd that can't.

Which is "okay", since you clearly stated that Linux wouldn't be available at release.

But...

1) I just wanted to inform you early that next time, I'm not paying anything until a playable version is on the proverbial table. Unlike other games, I find the delay this time to be psychologically unpleasant. I want to play. Now. smile So don't count on crowdfunded money from me to subsidize creation for other people. Fair warning.

2) Be sure to deduct 1 from your count of "Windows copies sold". I already paid, and I already downloaded, but I can't actually play. I'm waiting for a Linux version. Next time, you'll more easily have accurate bean counters, but this time I thought you should know that your counters are wrong. Please deduct 1 from your Windows counter, and increment 1 to your future Linux counter. Accurate data is important for prioritization. You already have my money, so it might be tempting to continue delaying the Linux release. Please don't succumb to that temptation.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by MellowTigger
I've already downloaded DOS2 at GOG. Apparently I either crowdfunded or paid for an early purchase because Linux was mentioned as a supported platform.

Where did you hear that? Right here in the FAQ Larian said:

Originally Posted by Larian FAQ
Right now, we're focusing on Windows only. Additional platforms may be announced in the future.

Believe us, it's not that we're not interested in producing a version for Mac/Linux/Console, it's just that we want to get the gameplay and world fleshed out in all the detail that it needs first. Once we have the game fully worked out, we'll start looking at porting it to other platforms. That’s not something that’ll happen during the Kickstarter or indeed this year.

But - and it’s an important but - we do have most things in place to support several other platforms, since we are starting work from the Divinity: Original Sin- Enhanced Edition engine. We just don’t want to make any promises yet.

And I don't remember hearing anything about a Linux version in any of the kickstarter updates, and I'm sure they would have mentioned it.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Yes, that last paragraph was mentioned many times in Kickstarter comments. No immediate Linux support, but they're using the same engine as DOS1:EE, which did successfully port to Linux. So maybe it was only community (and my) enthusiasm which translated it into "Linux someday".

My comments still apply. No crowdfunding dollars from me under the same circumstances for some future DOS3, and they should decrement their Window sales by 1 because I can't actually use the one I crowdfunded on Kickstarter (subsidizing those who can now use it).

M
journeyman
journeyman
M
@Mellow though I would love official Linux support, there is no way to make a linux port profitable without 20k or so sales on said platform just to break even. I would be happy if they just provided a little supported with wine bugs, never mind a official port. Its not like this game needs high performance. The graphic are not great either so no biggie.

That said, I know that people have it working on Wine minus book text which is completely superfluous. The text in books are not needed in any way though they sometimes update a quest. But you can always see the update details in the quest log, and when a quest is updated, you get a notification slider stating so, thus its not like you will miss anything without the books. I am not sure why its not working for you but most of the time it boils down to video driver.

Another thing to consider is they are still squashing a ton of bugs. The last patch was 4gig (lol). I finished the game without anything game breaking but there are tons of bugs especially with quests. They should rework the entire quest system, or get better programmers. Its cheaper to rework the system to make it more stupid resistant. Point being that even if they intend to make a linux port, they are still busy fixing things.

Best solution though? Grab an old windows 7 license from your ancient retired laptop and install that on your desktop. You can get the install media for free on the MS website. Honestly, Windows 7 is still the best MS OS. Certainly better than anything Apple has created too. No reason whatsoever to move to win10 unless you want to lose some of your consumer rights. No privacy problems with that version of windows. Just disable auto updates and you are good.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Marc54
Best solution though? Grab an old windows 7 license from your ancient retired laptop and install that on your desktop. You can get the install media for free on the MS website. Honestly, Windows 7 is still the best MS OS. Certainly better than anything Apple has created too. No reason whatsoever to move to win10 unless you want to lose some of your consumer rights. No privacy problems with that version of windows. Just disable auto updates and you are good.

I eventually needed to move to W10 for the hardware support as my ageing gaming PC needed more memory for modding and stuff. On the plus side, it's not as bad as I expected; though considering I only use Windows for games, I do rather resent the "Microsoft tax" and wish developers would deshackle themselves from its proprietary bits to make porting easier.

I don't necessarily disagree with what you said about Larian being a small studio and it being another development overhead; on the other hand, I remember the heady days of 8-bit gaming when a small software house would typically port their (admittedly modest by today's standards) games to a number of entirely different and incompatible architectures, so it can be done.

J'aime le fromage.
N
stranger
stranger
N
I know i'm late to the party, but all my wishes to a remarkable port like the Divinity Original Sin: EE. You already have my money, now i'll like to play the game laugh

T
stranger
stranger
T
Hello, I would also like to ask if there is any chance of a Linux version happening in the future, maybe after PS4 and Xbox One. Could we get an update from Larian?

M
stranger
stranger
M
With those two big platforms announced for the definitive edition I don't think they will commit to any other platform at the moment. But maybe they'll think about it internally at least. We should ask again in September after the release, maybe then there is more willingness to talk.

stranger
stranger
Would be cool to have the finished game under Linux and MacOS again. Depends on whether this has paid off with DOS, I think.

I don't think I'll ever play it without a Linux version. I also own a PS4 but DOS is not really a game I want to play on the console. Does it support mouse and keyboard on PS4?

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard