Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
U
ust Offline
stranger
stranger
U
I experience this issue as well.

I get severe framskipping/ stutter already from the menu screen and through the character creation screen and in game from the first scene.

The game litterary skips several frames resulting in massive hickups. Furthermore it seems that it is rather systematic hence every 3 or 4 seconds a big stutter occur.

I will go as far as stating that the game is unplayable in this state - however trite this may sound - at least for me.

I've tried enabling and disabling Vsyn/Gsync etc.

Updated to the latest nvidia drivers@ 385.69

Restarted several game and computer times.

Double checked that the game is in fact up to date.

But to no avail.

GTX 1070 - latest drivers@385.69
Win 10 - fully updated - Installed on Samsung 840 EVO SSD
i5 4690K
16gb Ram
Game installed on Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Running through Steam

*UPDATE*

As others have stated it does appear that the severity of the stutter changes from time to time, i.e. sometimes when you open the game it is much worse than other times.
Not that ever disappears mind you!

Last edited by ust; 02/10/17 10:11 AM.
H
apprentice
apprentice
H
When I first bought the game on GOG the day it came out, I noticed the stuttering right away even on the main screen and character creation screen. A couple of days later, nvidia released a new driver and Larian also released the first big patch. I installed both and it seemed the stuttering was gone! The character creation screen seemed smooth compared to the previous night when I tested it out. The first few minutes of the game also seemed fine to me.

Then there was a hotfix a day later. I don't know, but it seems some stuttering was reintroduced with that hotifx? I run the game and well over 100fps, but you can definitely sense these micro stutters when you pan the camera. Maybe it was always there and I just didn't notice it? Anyways, what I do know is that there was bad stuttering on day one and something was done to improve greatly it in the big patch. Now, it seems like it is back again. Even on the character creation screen again. Just turn the character with the mouse on that screen and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Core i5 4690K
Windows 10 all updates
GTX 1080 latest drivers
16GB RAM
Samsung 850 EVO SSD

A
stranger
stranger
A
Just posting again to confirm what others have experienced that the stuttering comes and goes. Sometimes no or very little stutter, other times it's major hiccups.

Can also confirm that it's not an FPS issue since FPS remains stable around 50 - 80 depending on scenery but the hiccups feel like major skips or spikes of some kind.

Also tried different sets of drivers to no avail.

B
stranger
stranger
B
Hi all,

I've done some extensive testing on all the rigs I have access to.
First one, my desktop rig, is an i7-6700K with GTX1070.
Second one, my GF's rig, is an i3-6100 with GTX1060.
Third one is my office PC which is i7-4770 with GTX960.
All computers have more than enough RAM so that's not an issue. All computers have the latest nvidia drivers.

Since the game was stuttering in highly populated areas on all computers. Stuttering got worse and worse the weaker CPU I tested.
If you think Driftwood is bad in this regard, wait until you get to Arx. Arx square is probably the most demanding location in the game and it was noticeable even on the 6700K, where it went from being well over 120 fps on the Outskirts to just 55-60 on the city square - while GPU usage remained the same, CPU usage sky-rocketed.
The 4770 system performed pretty much the same, shaving about 3-4 fps compared to the 6700K+GTX1070, despite having a GPU orders of magnitude slower. And the i3 system just barely held 37 fps in Arx and felt very choppy, despite having a 1060 installed.
On all computers CPU usage was well above 60% in Arx (97% on the i3) - as a result, gaming on the i7-4770 + GTX960 actually felt more fluid than the i3 + GTX1060.
This is all with the same settings (1920 x 1080 on ultra). Lowering settings to minimum on both Skylake PCs had absolutely zero effect on performance, as 10xx GPUs were barely taxed.

It appears Divinity OS 2 is an absolute CPU destroyer for some reason.

B
stranger
stranger
B
Anyone on their 120Hz+ monitors actually tried capping the frames at your lowest framerate? Maybe just say 70 fps is good enough if it's smooth?

U
ust Offline
stranger
stranger
U
Yes I tried to cap the framrate but with no effect.

The game still skips frames every 3-4 second and as such I don't think the problem is related to "low performance/frame rate" but rather a severe case of what has been called microstutter.

Not that I know the precise technical term at all.

All those with stutters, try disabling Windows Game Bar / Game DVR with the Batch File / PowerShell script in this thread:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...-win-10-creators-update-this-works-100-/

Code
@echo off
goto check_Permissions
:check_Permissions
    echo Administrative permissions required. Detecting permissions...
    net session >nul 2>&1
    if %errorLevel% == 0 (
        echo Success: Administrative permissions confirmed.
reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\xbgm" /v "Start" /t REG_DWORD /d "4" /f
sc config XblAuthManager start= disabled
sc config XblGameSave start= disabled
sc config XboxGipSvc start= disabled
sc config XboxNetApiSvc start= disabled
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\XblGameSave\XblGameSaveTask" /Disable
takeown /f "%WinDir%\System32\GameBarPresenceWriter.exe" /a
icacls "%WinDir%\System32\GameBarPresenceWriter.exe" /grant:r Administrators:F /c
taskkill /im GameBarPresenceWriter.exe /f
move "C:\Windows\System32\GameBarPresenceWriter.exe" "C:\Windows\System32\GameBarPresenceWriter.OLD"
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\XblGameSave\XblGameSaveTask" /Disable
takeown /f "%WinDir%\System32\bcastdvr.exe" /a
icacls "%WinDir%\System32\bcastdvr.exe" /grant:r Administrators:F /c
taskkill /im bcastdvr.exe /f
move C:\Windows\System32\bcastdvr.exe C:\Windows\System32\bcastdvr.OLD
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\GameDVR" /v "AppCaptureEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\GameBar" /v "UseNexusForGameBarEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\GameDVR" /v "AudioCaptureEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\GameDVR" /v "CursorCaptureEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\GameBar" /v "ShowStartupPanel" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
reg add "HKCU\System\GameConfigStore" /v "GameDVR_Enabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\GameDVR" /v "AllowgameDVR" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\GameBar" /v "AllowAutoGameMode" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
    ) else (
        echo Failure: Current permissions inadequate.
    )
    pause >nul

The script to restore everything if it doesn't work is on page 3 of that thread or below:

Code
@echo off
goto check_Permissions
:check_Permissions
    echo Administrative permissions required. Detecting permissions...
    net session >nul 2>&1
    if %errorLevel% == 0 (
        echo Success: Administrative permissions confirmed.
move "C:\Windows\System32\GameBarPresenceWriter.OLD" "C:\Windows\System32\GameBarPresenceWriter.exe"
icacls "%WinDir%\System32\GameBarPresenceWriter.exe" /setowner "NT Service\TrustedInstaller" /c
icacls "%WinDir%\System32\GameBarPresenceWriter.exe" /grant:r Administrators:RX /c
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\XblGameSave\XblGameSaveTask" /Enable
move C:\Windows\System32\bcastdvr.OLD C:\Windows\System32\bcastdvr.exe
icacls "%WinDir%\System32\bcastdvr.exe" /setowner "NT Service\TrustedInstaller" /c
icacls "%WinDir%\System32\bcastdvr.exe" /grant:r Administrators:RX /c
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\XblGameSave\XblGameSaveTask" /Enable
sc config XblAuthManager start= auto
sc config XblGameSave start= auto
sc config XboxGipSvc start= auto
sc config XboxNetApiSvc start= auto
reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\xbgm" /v "Start" /t REG_DWORD /d "3" /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\GameDVR" /v "AppCaptureEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\GameBar" /v "UseNexusForGameBarEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\GameDVR" /v "AudioCaptureEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\GameDVR" /v "CursorCaptureEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\GameBar" /v "ShowStartupPanel" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
reg add "HKCU\System\GameConfigStore" /v "GameDVR_Enabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\GameDVR" /v "AllowgameDVR" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\GameBar" /v "AllowAutoGameMode" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
    ) else (
        echo Failure: Current permissions inadequate.
    )
    pause >nul

It needs to be run as admin and probably a computer reset in each instance too.

Another option is to wait until Microsoft release their big Fall Creator's Update later this month, where they've apparently incorporated a fix for stuttering.

M
stranger
stranger
M
This seems to be a problem with Windows 10 and the Creator Update.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1004600/geforce-drivers/all-games-stuttering-with-fps-drops-since-windows-10-creators-update

Edit:I register because of want to saying this ... now i'm too late. :P

Last edited by mileika; 05/10/17 09:57 AM.
H
stranger
stranger
H
Originally Posted by mileika

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...s-drops-since-windows-10-creators-update

Perhaps for frame rate drops, but definitely not for the frame skip stuttering me and others are seeing. The alpha did not have this issue on the Creator's Update.

H
apprentice
apprentice
H
Has any developer confirmed that they are seeing the same issues on their end? For me, all I need to do to see it is to go into the character creation screen, zoom in / zoom out, and just turn the character preview with the mouse.

I noticed that it happens in exactly the same place every time, for example when you pan the camera around on the lower deck of Dallis ship, which shouldn't be a resource intensive area, as it's obviously indoors in a cramped space. Anyway, there's always a stutter as you sweep the camera past a certain area. It's near the recruitment officer. Seems to be textures streaming in.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Originally Posted by mileika

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...s-drops-since-windows-10-creators-update

You and the poster above you could very well be correct that it has something to do with creators update, it's just weird that it wasn't present at all in EA with the same version of Windows.

I guess time will tell though.

H
apprentice
apprentice
H
The stuttering is bad even on the character creation screen. Check out this video I took yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5PnUu-ErLw

Just turning the character causes frame drops, skips, etc. Its really bad. I am running Windows 10 creator with GTX1080. Other games seem fine though.

T
stranger
stranger
T
Hey HunterK10, I watched your video and i have the exact same problem, litterally.
Man i really want to play this game but not in that state.
Plz if you ever find a solution post it here , i will do the same.

im running windows 8.1 so its not the windows 10 stuttering issue at cause here.
All my other game works properly, i have tried a lot of stuff to find a solution, change monitor hertz , freesync on/off, frame capping, low graphic etc... nothing works

graphic card : rx 480
i5 4690k
samsumg ssd
8 gig ram

we have the same cpu and ssd, i dont know maybe something to consider !!!?

Last edited by truthseeker; 10/10/17 12:33 AM.
H
apprentice
apprentice
H
Originally Posted by truthseeker

we have the same cpu and ssd, i dont know maybe something to consider !!!?

Well, I'm relieved to know that someone else sees the same issue on that screen. I was sure it was that whole "Windows 10 Creators edition stutter" thing, but you saying you're on 8.1 throws that out the window.

My SSD is running great with everything else, I can't imagine it would be that. Plus what would even be streaming from disk on that simple screen?

It has to be something with the CPU? I OC mine to 4.3GHz. I also have x2 8GB Kingston HyperX 1866 memory.

Is anyone else experiencing the same stutter on the character creation screen? Can you list common hardware? Do Larian devs comment on this board?

T
stranger
stranger
T
Yeah i agree, it has to be the cpu, mine is not overclock yet
but to be honest i feel like its something only the dev can fix .
Man i wish we could find a solution this frame skipping keep me from playing the game.

i realllly want to play it

H
apprentice
apprentice
H
Originally Posted by truthseeker
Yeah i agree, it has to be the cpu, mine is not overclock yet
but to be honest i feel like its something only the dev can fix .
Man i wish we could find a solution this frame skipping keep me from playing the game.

i realllly want to play it

I want to play so bad too, but I am just so sensitive to these stupid stutters.

I think I'm going to email support and try some more direct contact. I'll reference this thread and the video.

U
ust Offline
stranger
stranger
U
Must we contact the support directly or do the devs read this forum? Do they ever leave a comment?

I'm curious since I'm new here and this issue seems to be present for a lot of people. There a several reddit and steam threads and comments about it as well.

H
apprentice
apprentice
H
I emailed Larian support. I described the issue and also pointed them to this thread. We shall see what happens.

H
apprentice
apprentice
H
Questions for you all:

Are you playing with mouse and KB? If so, what mouse are you using? I use a Steelseries Rival 300. I noticed that the stuttering on the character creation screen happened only when I would click and drag the mouse to spin the character. If I let go and it stayed spinning, the animation was fine. This led me to ask: "Why only when clicking the mouse?"

I switched to using my 360 controller and the character spun without a single hitch! In-game with the 360 controller also seemed to play much smoother as well. So, is it an issue with mouse input?

I plugged in my old Razer Deathadder mouse and I could swear the game was smoother. Way less stutter and if there was any, it was not a HUGE skip like with the Rival mouse.

I went back and forth with all of these different input methods and (I hope my eyes weren't deceiving me) it really seems like there is more severe stutter when using my Steelseries Rival 300.

Last edited by HunterK10; 13/10/17 01:06 PM.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard