Next Thread
Print Thread
#630084 12/10/17 06:03 AM
C
Bugfinder General
OP Offline
Bugfinder General
C
Well, I lost my patience with this game. Now my mage character will attack only with lightning no matter what is selected, left or right click. Guess I'll go back to Gothic I for a while then buy/play DC.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
The poor red-haired child of the series, unloved again! biggrin

I always try to promote Divinity 2, but the mention of Gothic I suggests it's maybe not necessarily your cup of tea. I must admit I've never played the early Gothics, I started with 3 which is quite similar to D2 in some ways: third-person, pretty graphics, I got pwned an awful lot...

J'aime le fromage.
C
Bugfinder General
OP Offline
Bugfinder General
C
Well, not exactly unloved - I was enjoying it reasonably well but when you get pretty much game ending bugs twice in a row in Act IV, the desire to start again vanishes.

As far as Gothic I, it's main issue is awkward controls. For instance, to pick something up, one uses <CNTRL> up arrow. Gothic III is considered by most to be the least good of the three Gothics (I know, there was a IV and others but not by the original designers). Two is easily the best and, yes, you do get killed a lot smile

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Gothic 3 is in good company in my case: Oblivion is my favourite TES, Infinite my favourite Bioshock, I like HL2 more than the original, I think Doom 3 is the best in the series, and even liked Andromeda better than the other MEs except the original. biggrin And Divinity 2 remains the real landmark of the series for me.

I did actually play "Gothic" IV and... I think in conclusion it was just a bit underwhelming rather than truly bad. I remember the pre-release version and being fairly impressed, thinking "this has some potential once they finish it", and then the actual game came out and I realised it was the finished version. In all its unfinished glory. It was playable, but ultimately it just felt a bit directionless and generally meh. Maybe it got better later, though I suspect not; I simply got too bored to play after a few hours.

J'aime le fromage.

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard