Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
stranger
stranger
T
I do have a Steelseries Rival but, i have done this test before, on the first day and redone it again and the problem is still there, its a little better with a controller but it doesnt fix the real problem.

For example when i first get in the game, the first menu, I click on Story and let the camera move and I press escape right away, when i look at the background I see the frame skipping/stutters all over the place and im not moving with my controller or with my mouse. The game move the camera by itself, scripted.

Did you try on a different pc ?
I have my old r9 280 graphic card i wanted to try the game with it and see if the prob persist but i am too lazy to change the card and everything.
Have you heard from the developper?
I am convince that this is an issue with their engine.

H
apprentice
apprentice
H
No, I dont have another PC. It is interesting that you also have a Rival though! Hmmmm...what mouse is everyone else using?

Oh for sure, I agree that it is something in their game as my PC works great with all other games.

G
stranger
stranger
G
[quote=HunterK10]The stuttering is bad even on the character creation screen. Check out this video I took yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5PnUu-ErLw
[/quote]

This.
But im on Windows 7.

Last edited by golem132; 15/10/17 07:46 PM.
H
apprentice
apprentice
H
Originally Posted by golem132

This.
But im on Windows 7.

What mouse and Keyboard do you have?

C
C75 Offline
stranger
stranger
C
Ill add my story, im not sure if it helps, but ...
My rig is old, CPU AMD Phenom II 945 3000 (OC to 3850MHz) + Mugen Max, 12 GB RAM (UC from 1333 to 1020Mhz), GPU GB Windforce 760, 2x HDD, 500W!! bronze PSU, etc + Win 10 x64 CU + all updates. I didnt have any problems with stuttering, any patch, all settings max, GPU demands very heavy, temp goes to 80°C, CPU 52°C avg.
The PC case has only one rear fan and because of GPU heat, I added another 4-pin fan on the side just above GPU card plugged to 4-pin socket. In the game GPU temp dropped avg 5°C, however i got stutter. Like periodical stutter. Like a heartbeat, pulsing. Because my CPU is OC and my PSU is only 500W i shut down system and unplugged the freshly added fan. The game runs smoothly again since then.
I didnt test any other games with that extra fan on, only DOS2, but my untested conclusion is:
- 500W PSU cant stand another device - fan (voltage limit exceeded)?
- my Gigabyte mobo doesnt like 4-pin fan?
- Windows, or just spec. CU is problematic with 4-pin fan?

IDK if this helps, I found out and registered on this forum just to let u guys know. I dont have any major problems so far, zero crashing, only last patch (3) made tooltip blinks (mouse hover over items in inv.) and some minor issues, but Larian is working hard on game updates. EN is not my native language so bear with me, thx.
cybero75

T
stranger
stranger
T
I feel like we are only 3 in the entire world having this HUGE stuttering problem.
WTF !!! im looking on forum reddit, steam etc and i dont see a lot of complain.
Its been one month and larian studio didnt fix the problem, of course they didnt, we are not enough having this issue,
im starting to think it will never be fix and that i have to forget about this awesome true rpg that ive been waiting for years frown....

H
apprentice
apprentice
H
Something has changed for the better. I upgraded to the new Windows 10 Fall Creators update a few days ago along with reinstalling my video drivers. I swear I still had the big stutter issue even after all of that. That was a few days ago, though.

I checked back today to see how things are and it seems great now all of a sudden. I dont know if there was a new smaller update pushed to Windows 10 or what, but I cant seem to generate that same big stutter in the main menu screen and character creation screens. From the initial main screen, the camera used to stutter bad when panning to the "Options" section and back. Now, it seems fine. I dont know what happened, but I guess I'm sort of ok with it. (I hate not knowing why something is fixed.)

EDIT: Nevermind, its back to doing the crazy jumps and stutters even on the main menu (going back and forth between options screen) and charachter creation screen. I dont know what was going on yesterday. I opened the game five times to make sure I wasnt seeing things and it seemed great. Now its back to the original issue.

Last edited by HunterK10; 19/10/17 11:29 AM.
H
apprentice
apprentice
H
Check this out. When I start my game up, it doesn't seem to use all 4 cores fully. It hovers around 25-35 for the first one and then around 80% for the rest.

Screenshot:
https://i.imgur.com/cCqekz3.jpg

I then minimize the game, go to task manager, right click the game process, change the Processor Affinity from 4 to 1 and then back to 4 again. I go back into the game and it now uses all 4 cores evenly:

Screenshot:
https://i.imgur.com/AEZ5fTz.jpg

The game does seem to play smoother after doing this process. Does anyone know why the game would be starting up like that not using all 4 cores fully? Can anyone else check their system and see if they see the same?

F
stranger
stranger
F
Well I finally found the issue, at least for me.

As it seems, it was an overclocked CPU.
When I went through all the possible configuration scenarios, I found this may be possible as I already observed that DOS2 is somehow weirdly written application that already had problems with my overclocked GPU (got black screen and I could only reset).

This is of course very strange behaviour, cause not a single other game I played did any problem with overclocking. After I firstly set up correct values for CPU and GPU I didnt have any BSOD, unresponding GPU drivers.

I do not understand why DOS2 is an exception here but, maybe somebody else also got overclocked CPU and wonders about stuttering/frame skips.
Try setting default values for CPU. Might help.

fxluk #632489 20/10/17 02:47 PM
H
apprentice
apprentice
H
Originally Posted by fxluk
Well I finally found the issue, at least for me.

As it seems, it was an overclocked CPU.
When I went through all the possible configuration scenarios, I found this may be possible as I already observed that DOS2 is somehow weirdly written application that already had problems with my overclocked GPU (got black screen and I could only reset).

This is of course very strange behaviour, cause not a single other game I played did any problem with overclocking. After I firstly set up correct values for CPU and GPU I didnt have any BSOD, unresponding GPU drivers.

I do not understand why DOS2 is an exception here but, maybe somebody else also got overclocked CPU and wonders about stuttering/frame skips.
Try setting default values for CPU. Might help.

Hmmm, mine is indeed overclocked. Core i5 4690K running at 4.3GHz. I will definitely be testing this out later when I get home.

B
stranger
stranger
B
Same issue with stuttering that makes the game very frustrating and unplayable at times. Was working perfectly in Act 1 but all changed after I got to the "Lady Vengeance". New laptop with drivers all updated, latest games patches, have "verified integrity of files", started new games but to no avail.

i-7, 16Gb RAM, GTX 1070. Win10

J
stranger
stranger
J
Here's the thing - i have stutters too but it's a bit weird.

First of all, my machine is not a beast. it has a gtx680 with an i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz but it manages. i was getting big stutters ( fps must have been around 10-20) here and there in Reaper's Coast and maybe once and twice in the Nameless Isle. Saved the game, exit, restart, and everything is *fine* again. I mean fine. the fps wasn't great all the time but i played 100 hours with great pleasure. then i arrived at ARX. okay, the fps was clearly lower but i played just fine until the town square with all the traders, and since it was 1AM and i got another one of those massive stutters/slow downs i saved the game and quit. NOW, whenever i load the game, i get stutters all the time, sometimes even at the main menu, with the sound being affected, too - crackling and buzzing (as if watching a video in slow motion) in several seconds intervals. it even happens when i then load earlier saves from the nameless isle, or try to start a new game (mind you, i haven't actually made a new campaign because i was discouraged since while making my original one i never got stutters. i had less than perfect fps but that's it).

why am i telling this?
because the game's been playing perfectly up until that point in Arx square and it seems as if the stutter has now *infected* everything regardless of what is on the screen. weird right? why now? the game has stopped functioning normally as if it were never okay. now i get all the symptoms described here as if it's always been like that.

Edit: yep. Reinstalled, tried to start a new campaign and everything is choppy/freezing/crash to desktop even/sound is constantly buzzing. yet, the first time around everything was smooth as butter. Wth...I'm never going to finish this game, am I?

Last edited by JBjacob; 21/10/17 02:10 PM.
U
ust Offline
stranger
stranger
U
Still no confirmation or acknowledgement?

I
enthusiast
enthusiast
I
Originally Posted by JBjacob
Wth...I'm never going to finish this game, am I?

I feel you.

this game and pillars of eternity... two games I really liked, two game I never managed to finish because of bugs.

T
stranger
stranger
T
i can confirm 2 improvements that were suggested here, at least in my experience.

first of all i have an old system Q9650/4 cores, oc to 3.3 ghz, gtx 970 -bios oc. micro stutter seems to affect cpu rahter than gpu. gpu is barely breaking sweat.

i can run the game in ultra no probem, only in act 2 , was it riftwood or riverwood town basically where stutter becomes more of an issue. so i tested these two things,

first one probably didnt help that much, but in my opinion, application/ services that should not be running in "windows" when playing a game, really should be stopped anyways, someone posted the:

disabling Windows Game Bar / Game DVR line codes, i copy-pasted these to cmd admin, all good!

second one i think really minimized micro stutter to mini-mini stutter was:

when in-game, going to task manager, changing the core used by this game to 1 and then back to 4, before this the game used mostly 2,3,4 cores, not core 1. but after this change, its all leveled and i believe that even if the game does not use more proccessing power because of that, the cores 2/3/4 are now more freed up and are able to smoothly proccess windows proccesses that were assigned to cores 2/3/4, so this is i believe the biggest benefit i see when playing now, even in heavy proccess areas, there is way more smoothness to the game..

overall great game!! i bought div2 after div1ee, so lost of fun..

cheers,

testp #635025 01/11/17 03:07 PM
H
apprentice
apprentice
H
Originally Posted by testp

second one i think really minimized micro stutter to mini-mini stutter was:

when in-game, going to task manager, changing the core used by this game to 1 and then back to 4, before this the game used mostly 2,3,4 cores, not core 1. but after this change, its all leveled and i believe that even if the game does not use more proccessing power because of that, the cores 2/3/4 are now more freed up and are able to smoothly proccess windows proccesses that were assigned to cores 2/3/4, so this is i believe the biggest benefit i see when playing now, even in heavy proccess areas, there is way more smoothness to the game..

I have emailed Larian about this specific issue where the game barely uses the first core of the CPU. I have yet to hear anything back. My game runs much smoother when I do the affinity trick in task manager.

J
stranger
stranger
J
I have an update and it's not a good one...

So after giving up on Divinity 2, i thought to try another game. Shadow of War. Why not? i open it up and right at the first menu i get that same sound tearing/ white noise and i think "well f@ck my life". i ask my dad for help (did i mention i know nothing about computers other than pressing cntrl alt del?). We reinstall the antivirus and do a quick disk defrag, clear the register etc. Guess what? The damn thing works! (don't get your hopes up). Arx - the most demanding thing ever is running smooth! Heck, i played SoW the entire weekend. In the beginning, my pc was kinda sluggish but after a while, as if something had snapped into place, it ran that game like a charm. About a week later, i'm playing Wednesday & Thursday as well with no problems at all, finishing act 1 and all, and on Friday...bam the whole thing is back with a vengeance. i boot the game on and after several seconds the FPS stays at a marry 10-25ish by the looks of it (gets worse if i try to run around). The freaking menu is slow, mouse skips, and the sound crackles on occasion. I left the game alone since, while i'm at college anyway, and it still persists today (Wednesday). Bloody hell i so hoped to relieve some stress...searched google for hours to no particular avail. i'm just about ready to sacrifice one of my testicles.

This leads me to believe the Hard Drive is dying, as that is what killed my last PC. it served me well enough for 10 years (until 2011- ish. yeah...who needs new games when u got nfs carbon) until i convinced my parents to help me get my current build. Could the HDD be dying already?

Z
stranger
stranger
Z
Hey, just so you know, this guy on steam found the solution :
[url=http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1167042797]Camera Rotate Stuter Fix[/url]

Just reduce the mouse update frequency (also know as Polling Rate). I just did it, switched from 1000HZ to 125HZ and now everything runs smooth. I can finally rotate my camera with my mouse !

On a side note :
i also did the "disable all but 1 core" then "re-enable all of them" and it improved the experience somewhat. Maybe placebo, try it ;)

Last edited by Zimza; 02/11/17 08:28 PM.
T
stranger
stranger
T
i checked cpu useage yesterday after the "affinity" trick, it will now use all 4 cores 99% when the game needs it. i thought it was like with old -1 core games that, when put to 2 cores, it will just divide the load, however not the case here :-)

i dont know about hard drives, but common sense in gaming: restart computer, defrag hdd,
if you are playing single player, turn off internet, in (divinity2) use the .exe file that is in the game folder without multiplayer, dont have firefox or other applications open in the same time,

i personally have disabled some windows services as well, that are useful only if apes start to use computers in the future witch mean never... and stuff like that, for an older system this really helps, my windows 10 ram useage after start is only ~650 mb.

J
stranger
stranger
J
I solved my problem: open up your PC and give it a good clean. Hope others' is the same.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard