Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
O
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
O
One of the best things about Dragon Age Origins was the party banter. It gave us deeper understanding of the world and its surroundings, gave life and background to our followers, and made us understand how do they feel about each other and situations they were put into. DOS2 would be the perfect game for that kind of banter, specially given that followers have their own conflicting agenda, background and personality, often antagonist to the Player and fellow partymates. I know that it is an expensive endevour for a simple flavor feature, and would make no financial sense to do so after the game has already been released. But, I would gladly pay some $20-$30 for a party banter DLC, or even a Party Banter DLC kickstart, if it were very well made. What do you guys think about it?

old hand
old hand
I agree about the no party banter thing. I was trying to reason to myself why I didn't feel that excited to start a 2nd playthrough with this game. And this was one of the reasons.

Baldur's Gate 2 did an outstanding job on this. I would restart that game just because I would take this guy instead of this guy, while the other 4 remain the same.

Even the mess that is Dragon Age Inquisition. I didn't hesitate when I started my 2nd playthrough of that game right after finishing the 1st run. There are several factors involved here, but party banter was one thing. One of the things DA:I actually did alright was the party banter. Some conversations are pretty deep and/or hilarious.

In the case of D:OS2, sadly, it's like this: let's say you have 3 members in total, A, B, and C. 1st playthrough you take A and B. Then next playthrough you simply need to take C. It doesn't matter if the other guy is A or B. Why? Because there is no interaction whatsoever between 2 party members. This is even doubly true with this particular game, since it follows a "classless" system. You can take anyone and have him/her go in any build direction. So "party member choice" and "class synergy" has nothing to do with each other. You don't need to change team comp in order to experience different class synergies. If this were Baldur's Gate 2, I would gladly play a 3rd time just to make sure I have covered all combinations: AB, BC, and AC. This is a rather technical way of explaining this, but I'm sure you get my point.

Not just party interaction. But party reaction to game events is also something that is very weak in D:OS2. Only very few events in the game trigger party reaction, and "reaction" here is simply a very linear comment whether they prefer THIS, or THAT. It doesn't give that much "soul" to the character.

Last edited by Try2Handing; 14/10/17 11:53 PM.

"We make our choices and take what comes and the rest is void."
V
journeyman
journeyman
V
I have no idea why they have character saying certain thing at certain time but can make party member.

One reason i think of is DOS2 isn't developed with VOICE from the start. Who the hell would spent time reading text at random occur?

Since they added voice over from the launch. they should make a dlc with party banner. 2nd play through is quite boring already even on tactican.

journeyman
journeyman
I have also been missing the party banter. I think they could use more party banter to help with the quest issues people are having. Like when pigs are on fire all over the place, maybe have a character say, how can we help them? Maybe we need to use source? Or something like that, I'm not a writer so I'm sure they can think of something better.

Also when I do something big, like kill a big boss that is involved in Ifan's quest line for example. Shouldn't he respond with something relevant to what we just accomplished together as a team? And how he feels about it? Instead of "how's my favorite god woken?" I'm like what? I just spent 30 minutes fighting a battle with you where you were resurrected by the red prince and buffed by me numerous times and all you have to say is the same thing you've been saying for the last 10 levels?

Or when I have a demon in my head who makes me break perfectly good musical instruments... Aside from the initial questioning. There is little to no dialogue between party members about it. No hey just checking to see how that demon in your head is, how do you feel about getting rid of it? How does it make you feel, I wish I could help you. Blah blah there is so much potential for deeper dialogue in the game.

I love the game. I love the writing, just think some constructive criticism could make it even better.

"Keep distant, My own demons still haunt me too closely. I cannot also bear the burden of yours."
veteran
veteran
D:OS2 ist developed with 4-player-competative in mind. Party banter can't be a thing in 4-player-competative. Single player experience and coop gameplay as well kind of suffer because of this.

S
stranger
stranger
S
The best party banter I've ever experienced is from Warhammer: The End Times - Vermintide

Banter clip

I think a lot more games could do something along the lines of this, especially when you want a person to reveal their character's personality/backstory mid-way through an adventure. It's fun to hear and often enlightening, adding to a character's persona and making them that much more interesting, likable or unlikable when accompanied with multiple people.

veteran
veteran
If I get the clip right, he is forcing banter with the 'execute: tdu' command, whatever that does.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I agree it'd be nice to have some banter: after playing the likes of Inquisition, a game feels a bit dead without it. Although coop games have the actual players for banter, it'd be nice if it was present in the SP campaign.

J'aime le fromage.
S
stranger
stranger
S
Originally Posted by Kalrakh
If I get the clip right, he is forcing banter with the 'execute: tdu' command, whatever that does.

The banter seen in the video plays randomly throughout the game while playing, whether it be while opening chests, running around or slaying enemies. It was just done here by a command prompt so people can hear a lot of the potential dialogue and banter while playing the game. (All of the banter is done in real-time during a playthrough of any level)

Last edited by Skrux; 15/10/17 11:58 AM. Reason: clarification
veteran
veteran
Yeah, kinda miss the banters of Dragon age or Baldurs gate. Even you have chatty companions they do not really talk to each other. You have to be the origin avatar to know how they react and talk to each other.

While playing as avatar I found out that Sebille and Ifan are soulmates with a lot in common, Lohse can make the Red prince brows twitch at least three times per conversation and that Fane is hilarious no matter who you talk to...

Last edited by _Vic_; 20/10/17 01:07 AM.
C
C
Originally Posted by Kalrakh
D:OS2 ist developed with 4-player-competative in mind. Party banter can't be a thing in 4-player-competative. Single player experience and coop gameplay as well kind of suffer because of this.

Almost like the 4 player competitive was a dumb choice or something

veteran
veteran
Dragon Age, Baldur's gate, Planescape torment, all had a party banter option. I agree completely, this needs to go in the main game.

P
stranger
stranger
P
Meh... I suppose it would be nice but I didn't miss it tbh. So long as it isn't Bioware-levels of forced humour

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard