Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#631394 16/10/17 07:33 AM
S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
How exactly does the Villain tag work? I've seen people saying they've gotten it super early during Fort Joy.

I've tried everything I can think of to trigger it. So far:

- Turned in Stingtailt to Griff
- Reunited Migo and daughter just to kill them afterwards
- Consumed Lord Withermoore's soul instead of freeing him
- Killed Verdas and the other female Lizard in the prison
- Refused to help/heel the injured seekers at the Hidden Camp
- Killed burning pigs instead of blessing them
- Broke Gratiana's Soul jar in front of her
- Kept the purging wand instead of giving it to Slane the dragon. Killed him.
- Killed a couple NPCs after they caught me stealing from them
- Probably some more stuff I can't remember..

Seriously how much does it take? Is it just random? Cause it seems like some people get it just from turning in Stingtail?? This is really getting frustrating!

snoozler #631400 16/10/17 08:19 AM
veteran
veteran
I think that, like the hero tag, is accumulative. You get it when you do several "villain" actions.

I got it after kill the diseased soldier in the castle ruins.

_Vic_ #631404 16/10/17 08:39 AM
S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
But you get the hero tag when you do Migo's quest no matter what.. That doesn't seem "accumulative".

And even if it is, surely I have "accumulated" enough at this point??

(I also killed that diseased soldier)..

Last edited by snoozler; 16/10/17 08:41 AM.
snoozler #631410 16/10/17 08:56 AM
I
apprentice
apprentice
I
Did you tried attacking innocent people or starting combat before enemy attacked you after dialogue?

snoozler #631415 16/10/17 09:50 AM
S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
Yes, I killed almost all the innocents in Fort Joy itself..

snoozler #631426 16/10/17 11:58 AM
V
journeyman
journeyman
V
Villain tag has this specific description: betray and deceive.

That's mean:
- Promise to help the elf but then take the money instead.
- Turn on stingtail
- Consumed Withermoore soul via dialogue
- Consumed 3 undead souls instead of free them (via dialogue).
- turn on slane dragon
- Attack people (in a quest) before start conversation with them.
- Lie to the elf near the alcove.
- Kill three pokers before they start conversation.

So i think in the end you mostly do kind of betrayal type of actions to get this.

snoozler #631434 16/10/17 12:38 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by snoozler
But you get the hero tag when you do Migo's quest no matter what.. That doesn't seem "accumulative".
Haha, my ass you do. We were total heroes for all of Fort Joy, but didn't get the Hero Tag until we saved the bridgekeeper at Reaper's Coast.

S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
Originally Posted by Violet Gekko
Villain tag has this specific description: betray and deceive.

That's mean:
- Promise to help the elf but then take the money instead.
- Turn on stingtail
- Consumed Withermoore soul via dialogue
- Consumed 3 undead souls instead of free them (via dialogue).
- turn on slane dragon
- Attack people (in a quest) before start conversation with them.
- Lie to the elf near the alcove.
- Kill three pokers before they start conversation.

So i think in the end you mostly do kind of betrayal type of actions to get this.

Yea, I have done all of these except I don't think I talked to that elf in the alcove. But I did go back and kill her at some point.

Luckmann #631458 16/10/17 01:50 PM
S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
Originally Posted by Luckmann
Originally Posted by snoozler
Haha, my ass you do. We were total heroes for all of Fort Joy, but didn't get the Hero Tag until we saved the bridgekeeper at Reaper's Coast.

Well, okay. I'm just saying from what I heard that seemed to be the case.. In every one of my playthroughs you got hero tag at that point.

But I guess if you didn't then it just goes to show that it's all pretty random?

snoozler #631479 16/10/17 03:02 PM
S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
I've now also killed Tarquin as I met him on the Lady Vengeance. And also enslaved Lady Vengeance.. Still nothing. smirk

Pretty much done every evil thing I could during Act 1, yet received no Villain tag.

Maybe if you're playing an Origin character you can't get it? (I'm playing as Sebille).

Last edited by snoozler; 16/10/17 03:02 PM.
snoozler #631587 16/10/17 09:26 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I doubt it has anything to do with killing people. I think the system works by accumulating points on a spectrum from hero to villain, these points being generated 100% by dialogue choices, and to trigger the event that gives you the particular tag, you must finish a quest capable of granting either in a specifically villainous or heroic way.

So to get the tag from Migo, you need to first accumulate points and then finish the quest as a hero. It would explain why I didn't get the tag at Migo; we likely didn't have enough points yet, and the next opportunity was at the Reaper's Coast bridgekeeper.

Either that, or the entire thing is bugged to shits.

snoozler #631674 17/10/17 08:23 AM
S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
I wish the system/triggers were a little more transparent.. It's very confusing.

snoozler #631683 17/10/17 09:32 AM
S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
So I did a little experiment and tried with a new game to get the tag. I managed to get it very early by only doing the following:

- Leaving everyone on the ship
- Stealing from the elf by the alcove (through dialogue)
- Helping Griff's thugs instead of the elf
- Turning in stingtail

Bam. 4 "evil" acts was all it took.. Yet somehow, on my main playthough, even with my huge list of "evil" acts - Because I didn't do a few of these early evils, it seems as though I can't do enough to compensate for it. Doing evil things early on is weighed MUCH more heavily than doing evil stuff lator on... Honestly that seems *really* imbalanced..

snoozler #632252 19/10/17 02:15 PM
D
stranger
stranger
D
I got the villain tag after I "challenged" and killed those 5-6 spectator NPCs at the Fort Joy arena after I became The One.

snoozler #632607 21/10/17 03:08 AM
journeyman
journeyman
My first playthrough, I was a goody 2 shoes, I got the hero tag in fort joy and about 2 other times in driftwood.

My second play through, I was sebille and a total b!@#$ to everyone I met. I didn't get the villain tag until driftwood, but I got it about 7 times there.

I honestly think it's tied to random things. I didn't kill a lot of people out of the blue, mostly just a natural dialogue then choosing the evil answers.

"Keep distant, My own demons still haunt me too closely. I cannot also bear the burden of yours."
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Lady Cassandra
I honestly think it's tied to random things. I didn't kill a lot of people out of the blue, mostly just a natural dialogue then choosing the evil answers.

Sounds like it's specific, dialogue-driven triggers rather than generic misbehaviour that gets a person that tag, then.

Occasionally I try to RP a really unpleasant character but to date I've never managed to make myself do it for long. I just feel a bit rotten if I do.

J'aime le fromage.
snoozler #632618 21/10/17 04:27 AM
F
enthusiast
enthusiast
F
There are three Fort Joy decisions, one Arx decision, and one decision on the Lady Vengeance that reward the Villain tag; otherwise, you can get the Villain tag only by murdering a total of three innocents with or without Source Vampirism.

Decisions (MASSIVE SPOILERS)
  • Fort Joy: Trick Unnis into giving you all her gold
  • Fort Joy: Side with Griff's thugs during the shakedown
  • Fort Joy: Kill the Dreamer and report back to Griff
  • Lady Vengeance: Subjugate the Figurehead
  • Arx: Destroy Arx with the Doomsday Device

There are no other ways to get the Villain tag. Anything else that has been suggested is just coincidence (e.g., killing spectators in the Fort Joy arena) or not a contributing factor (e.g., leaving everyone on the prisoner transport ship.)

fireundubh #632733 21/10/17 10:07 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by fireundubh
There are three Fort Joy decisions, one Arx decision, and one decision on the Lady Vengeance that reward the Villain tag; otherwise, you can get the Villain tag only by murdering a total of three innocents with or without Source Vampirism.

Decisions (MASSIVE SPOILERS)
  • Fort Joy: Trick Unnis into giving you all her gold
  • Fort Joy: Side with Griff's thugs during the shakedown
  • Fort Joy: Kill the Dreamer and report back to Griff
  • Lady Vengeance: Subjugate the Figurehead
  • Arx: Destroy Arx with the Doomsday Device

There are no other ways to get the Villain tag. Anything else that has been suggested is just coincidence (e.g., killing spectators in the Fort Joy arena) or not a contributing factor (e.g., leaving everyone on the prisoner transport ship.)

Playing Beast I got both the hero and villain tags in fort Joy (did not know how ¿?) and I am pretty sure I rescued the elves, saved stingtail and gave Griff a good thrashing.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1176745956

(On a strange sidenote, only Beast has both tags, Ifan and Lohse has "Hero" and Sebille none )

Last edited by _Vic_; 21/10/17 10:16 PM.
_Vic_ #632749 22/10/17 12:44 AM
F
enthusiast
enthusiast
F
Originally Posted by _Vic_
Playing Beast I got both the hero and villain tags in fort Joy (did not know how ¿?)

You can get both; they're not mutually exclusive.

In Fort Joy, you can get the HERO tag by:

• Rescuing Elodi from Griff's thugs.
  • Giving Yarrow her father's ring.
  • Holding your ground when Griff wants you to give up Stingtail.

You can also get the HERO tag by rescuing the other avatars in The Hold.

Originally Posted by _Vic_
(On a strange sidenote, only Beast has both tags, Ifan and Lohse has "Hero" and Sebille none )

This is due to the fact the tags are added inconsistently. There are two functions used: ObjectSetFlag and PartySetFlag. PartySetFlag should be used to add the global HERO and VILLAIN tags, but ObjectSetFlag is sometimes used, which affects only your main.

I'm making a mod that adds more VILLAIN dialog options and enhances more decisions so that they add the VILLAIN tag, so I've fixed these inconsistencies, but I don't know if Larian will fix them likewise.

fireundubh #632750 22/10/17 01:18 AM
veteran
veteran
Thats interesting to know, so that is how it works...

Oh yeah, I was pointing that you do not need to do all the villaneus acts to get the tag, only one at least. So you can get both tags if you are inclined to.
I do not think that this option is suited to all characters, roleplay wise, but it is nice to have this option, thanks larian for that. I suppose someones´ villain is another people´s hero, like Dracula in Romania or Fidel Castro.

In my case Beast has a duality between his noble self and his barbarian self, so he has two wolfs fighting each other. It is a pity that I found this origin a little underwritten in comparison with the others.

Originally Posted by fireundubh

I'm making a mod that adds more VILLAIN dialog options and enhances more decisions so that they add the VILLAIN tag, so I've fixed these inconsistencies, but I don't know if Larian will fix them likewise.

Sounds nice, keep us updated.

If you throw a consistency patch Act1-act2 for Gareth and Saheila too you will be my hero ( or villain overlord if you prefer).

Last edited by _Vic_; 22/10/17 01:24 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard