Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
enthusiast
enthusiast
This game is, in practically all ways, extremely casualized. I have no idea how anyone can remotely fail on anything below Tactician. There's Explorer Mode for a reason. To call this game more difficult than D:OS1 is an insult to D:OS1.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
You are implying the first game was hard? Where every boss gets hit by drain willpower and then get perma stunned from turn 1?

M
stranger
stranger
M
I'm pretty sure OP is a troll and everyone here's been baited into answering him. If he isn't, then well good riddance.

S
stranger
stranger
S
Im pretty sure this is a troll and he is now fapping on these baited answers or he is a rly bad player. Anyway i find this good that OS 2 is not for casual bobs like him. Casuals have destroy the game market and a game thats destroy casuals is welcome!

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I think that's enough speculation about other forum members. Stick to the topic, please.

J'aime le fromage.
stranger
stranger
classic can be hard if you play the game wrong. Sad that explorer mode is to easy.
even if you are bad, blind and your cat is playing, you can not die in explorer mode.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster
K
stranger
stranger
K
This is my first larian game, it can be frustrating at moments but here is some advice which makes the game a lot easier (I play classic dif):

1) focus all members of your party on either physical or magical damage, dont mix them.
2) one level can make an enormous difference , a fight that is impossible at level 11 can be a breeze at level 12. Dont engage higher level enemies but search for enemies (or quests) of your level first.
3) If you go for a magic party then get the artillery plant skill ASAP, it feels like a cheat code at times.
4) any damage your summons take isn't on the rest of your party, especially in physical parties are incarnates and spiders great
5) in some battles (like alexander) can you split the enemies, lure some throught a gateway while others stay far behind
6) in act 2 can you refill source an unlimited number of times at a certain location, use this before hard battles

Last edited by Kolpo; 17/10/17 12:29 AM.
M
journeyman
journeyman
M
Originally Posted by reignfyre
Originally Posted by Marc54
[quote=recluce]If this were a classroom, I would tell you to suck it up, study smarter (not longer), or change majors. For the record, I am not trying to be mean, in fact, I really care about students but sometimes the best advice is the cold hard truth.

Wow man. You should find a new line of work. If your student is stuck in a hole, asking for help, you need to reach out a hand and toss him a ladder. Saying "you're too weak to get out" or "you got yourself into this mess" is not in the spirit of education. I teach much younger students but even college kids still need help from a caring adult.

I'm in the same boat as OP-- I chose tactician due to the "special abilities" used by enemies. Now I'm 15 hours in and every single fight is a chore at level 5. I do not want to have to fail to learn, or search google to learn, or save scum to advance.

Bottom line: game attracts all types but the way it teaches certain types of players is just awful.

One nice thing about working in academia is you learn all sort of funny latin quotes like reductio ad absurdum, which applies to your example.

Its just a game and like college, is completely optional. If the game is not your cup of tea, and you do not want to take the steps to learn how to drink said tea, then there are many alternatives.

Another thing you should heed, is that teaching is a two way street. You have to put an effort and its unreasonable to expect others to cater to your needs (unless you pay insane amounts of money). I mean seriously... were in the internet age. You have forums, search engines, videos, full websites with guide, and the game itself offers tips. How much more does a person need?

Last edited by Marc54; 17/10/17 12:09 PM.
stranger
stranger
I'm also interested in some help regarding how to build the characters. Is the tactic, whenever you are focusing on physical damage, to maximize warfare before maxing single/two-handed, ranged and dual-wielding any good?

What about magical damage as magic damage is not calculated from the weapons. For me there is 3 ways you could go:

1. Maximize the elemental trees as every level increases the damage it does with that type of spell? E.g. If you use mostly fire spells then max Pyrokinetic.

2. Maximize Scoundrel for crit, Huntsman for extra damage on high ground and two-handed for damage with staff?

3. Maximize Polymorph and put all attributes on intelligence?

Which way do you prefer?

N
old hand
old hand
N
I guess the OP needs an easier game, fair enough. But we didn't back DOS:2 to be that kind of game. Backers asked for a more difficult experience than DOS:1 and we got what we wanted. This game doesn't take the player by the hand showing around vistas and such. It's challenging and requires you to put some thinking into your actions.

So if you are not fit or if you don't have time, it's perfectly fine to look elsewhere. Just hope that kind of complains won't have the difficulty being dropped because this is not what the community as a whole wants.

J
journeyman
journeyman
J
I believe OP is just trolling around. My friend's wife almost never played games before and she was fine on normal. So come on.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
@ Qunari:

For physical damage, focus on warfare in the early game on your warrior. It gives you the most benefits and you aren´t forced into one weapon type. For instance, if you aren´t able to get a decent two-handed weapon but good one handed, you can switch to dual wield and vice versa.
Ranged is a bit more complicated in my opinion, a lot will argue to go for warfare, but I had good results with a ranged crit build as well.
As a rule of thumb, don´t split to much early. Get memory only if needed and spent all other points into your main attribute. Same goes for talents.

About magic damage:

Go for two schools. In my opinion, you should focus on them. Scoundrel can be raised later to give your spell crits more punch, but you should avoid it early.

You can utilize crit on a wizard. And it´s fun, I ve done it myself. I don´t know if it´s the most optimal way to go tho, but if you want to do it, get Hothead right after Savage Sortilege. Beeing (Undead) Human also helps. 15 % crit right of the bat.
Donnot use staffs with this, wands are more preferable. You will find wands with +10 % critical hit pretty early in the game. Try to get two of them.
With some + crit and + wits gear, you should end up with ~ 40% critical chance around Level 5 - 6.

Avoid weapon skills on a caster, as you unlock more spells you won´t use your basic attacks later.

Last edited by Sarakash; 18/10/17 09:16 AM.
W
apprentice
apprentice
W
I consider myself as an average player so what i ve learned about this game is the following.
There are specific skills that allows you to make the game way easier. Teleportation is probably the most necessery skill that you must obtain to at least 2 characters in order to make your life easier. Positioning your team before a fight start is also a very good way to make you victorious in battle (you can also buff the team with a bedroll buff before the fight start). Save as much as you can. Physical oriented teams works well and its easier to win fights when you focus on the same guy and on the same type (physical or magical). If you face a difficult fight leave and come back later when you have more exp and better gear. I havent completed the game but from what ive read is that damage and items are scaling exponentionally so just 1 lvl can make such a big difference to a fight or to an item.

Last edited by Wakko; 19/10/17 07:17 AM.
M
stranger
stranger
M
I chose tactician

So, you chose tactician, which gives you a fair warning about the extra difficulty it brings. And now you're whining, hoping that the devs will make it easier, just cause you're struggling?

I often ask myself, how do self entitled people like yourself survive in the real world?

R
stranger
stranger
R
Originally Posted by Makt
I chose tactician

So, you chose tactician, which gives you a fair warning about the extra difficulty it brings. And now you're whining, hoping that the devs will make it easier, just cause you're struggling?

I often ask myself, how do self entitled people like yourself survive in the real world?

I'm hardly self-entitled and surviving just fine. But I really don't need to explain my life story. Who the fuck are you again?

M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
personal insults aside

tactician difficulty is meant to be the hardest difficulty aside from honour (which is the same difficulty but with the added challenge of only having one save)

if you find it difficult just play on a lower difficulty. a lot of people will talk about how easy tactician is, but those are experienced players, and overall the game is still very hard

the game takes a while to get the hang of and there's no shame in playing on classic or explorer difficulty if tactician is making the game more hard than fun. the amount of fun you have is all that matters in the end

W
stranger
stranger
W
Originally Posted by recluce
I have successfully beaten all Larian games so far, from the original Divine Divinity to Original Sin, most of them on somewhat higher difficulty levels (where applicable).

With D:OS 2, all I get is frustration. I don't have three hours to figure out how to solve some impossible seeming fight, I have a live, too. The frustration level has risen to a point, somewhere on Reaper's Coast, that I have stopped playing. I doubt I will care for another Larian game - they only get more difficult without improving much of anything else. Inventory system and crafting is a bad joke, quests are buggy as hell. Story is meh. Perceived difficulty compared to D:OS 1: plus 250% - and judging by the release notes, they are still in the business of making the game more difficult.

Sorry, this is niche geek gaming only - for those that have unlimited time to invest to endlessly fiddle around with one unbalanced fight after another. I am out of here.

Bitter and twisted much?
I find it hard to believe you can't figure stuff out. I'm totally new to the whole franchise and doing great. Admitedley I'm playing 4 man classic to learn the ropes but having great success and fun at the same time.

I'll replay tactician next with LW or something when I'm better.

What a deliciously crooked spine you have my dear, here's a shiv to help straighten it. Now isn't that better?
C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
You came on one of the most elitist forum and post this, either you are trolling or you are asking to be insulted.

Y
stranger
stranger
Y
I was in the same boat the OP until I read about not mixing Magic and Physical damage. The game went from frustrating where I was cheesing every fight to kinda easy. I was also surprised at how nasty some of the posts here are so I thought I'd share too.

I do miss having a balanced party for loot drops, play style and feel of a traditional RPG group. I have magic users with high finesse and strength so I can use gear drops, and running around with 4 wand / shield spell casters is plain goofy.

I love the game, but I am surprised that systems as big as armor were not balanced better.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Cyka
You came on one of the most elitist forum and post this, either you are trolling or you are asking to be insulted.

A friendly reminder that nobody is asking to be insulted; however, people may be uninvited if they choose to engage in that sort of behaviour. It's a friendly forum, let's keep it that way.

J'aime le fromage.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard