Print Thread
W
Wolfy Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
W
Hi folks,
yeah so how do I join an already created game with a character I have rolled?

Went into the multiplayer lobby yesterday for the first time and selected a game already running and didn't get the chance at any time to roll a character first before being pulled in.

#Confused

What a deliciously crooked spine you have my dear, here's a shiv to help straighten it. Now isn't that better?
veteran
veteran
You can't. The game is designed in a way which makes this completely impossible.

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
You totally can. There's a YouTube clip. You start on the boat with all 4 origin characters created to your liking

O
journeyman
journeyman
O
You create a game, not a character. Your character is not some independent entity that joins games. They are within your game save file, they only exist in your game world. So when you join a multiplayer game, you are joining the save file that includes whatever characters the person that hosted that game made.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Littlebob86
You totally can. There's a YouTube clip. You start on the boat with all 4 origin characters created to your liking

That's called "starting in multiplayer" using the "4 clients" trick. It is not in any way the same thing as joining a game created by someone else at some arbitrary point in the game using a character you created.

W
Wolfy Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
W
Well, well. This is the first thing about this game that has disappointed me.
Larian should really have played this along the lines of the Neverwinter RPG's where I could jump into someones game with my own character which I also play solo in my own game.

C'mon Larian, this is true cRPG

What a deliciously crooked spine you have my dear, here's a shiv to help straighten it. Now isn't that better?
O
journeyman
journeyman
O
Umm that's not what RPG means at all, that's an MMO, which this game is not. This is like Fallout or Skyrim, meant to be solo. RPG has definitely lost its meaning over the years to people.

How would that work? The game is not that big like a MMO, and has a very linear system. There are separated acts. You don't farm either, it's not Diablo. Enemies are perma-dead.

Your levels wouldn't match up and really mess up the game (you'd either be overpowered or underleveled and useless), or you'd have to find someone in the same place as you. and well, it just wouldn't work story and progression-wise. What happens when you join a game, get the xp, and go back to your solo save file that's still in Act 1 but now you're severely overleveled?

Imagine playing Fallout 4 or Skyrim, and joining a random person on their save. It makes no sense lol.

veteran
veteran
It is not wrong for Larian to do things differently than some other company who is making a different kind of game. And yes, this is a different kind of game than other CRPG's because Larian has designed it to be different.

This game has Origin stories, and quests which interlock and progress throughout the game, and which can be completed in different, sometimes conflicting ways.

omegazen nailed it when he said that you are creating a game, not a character. Each campaign is its own thing, and its characters are integrated completely into the game, they are not a thing you can separate out and jam into a completely different campaign with a completely different party configuration and a completely different series of resolved quests.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard