Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Me again. The recent patch has stopped my mod from working and I can't for the life of me figure out why.

Playing detective here. In creating this mod, I made a bunch of custom statuses. Those seem fine. Then I made extensive changes to the file Statuses.gamescript, which has a bunch of events that use FetchCharacterApplyStatusData to intercept statuses before they're applied and replace them to make status interactions happen (wet + chilled = frozen, etc).

This seems to be what's no longer working. Statuses.gamescript has reverted to base game behavior. I've unpacked patch 4 and can't find anything that seems like it would affect this file. And some custom character scripts I've got running in the same package are working fine.

Last edited by smarmbot; 27/10/17 05:56 AM.
F
enthusiast
enthusiast
F
Might be due to this:

Patch Notes:
- Game/Engine resources should not be modded. Pop-up now informs accordingly and overriding is disabled
-- An in-engine fix to avoid existing mods with already altered data to still override resources will be part of the next game patch
-- This also fixes the issue where combining mods with extensive icon changes could end up with blank icons
-- If your mod altered game/engine resources and you feel this was necessary, please let us know in the forum and we'll look for solutions there

LSLib Contributor | My Mods: DOS2, DOS2DE | 560K Steam Workshop Subscribers
journeyman
journeyman
Any idea if this also applies to base.charscript and defaultcharacter.charscript?

F
enthusiast
enthusiast
F
Originally Posted by Sinistralis
Any idea if this also applies to base.charscript and defaultcharacter.charscript?

In smarmbot's mod, Base.charScript is not in the Scripts\Game folder, so maybe not?

The patch notes weren't too specific. I originally thought it meant only resources in Game.pak and Engine.pak.

Last edited by fireundubh; 27/10/17 01:09 AM. Reason: Wrong speaker

journeyman
journeyman
I mean I managed to get rid of all that, just havn't released it yet, was just curious. Thanks for the info

F
enthusiast
enthusiast
F
By the way, smarmbot, is it necessary to modify Statuses.gameScript? You can't add your statuses to smarmbot_Statuses.gameScript, for example? I know story scripts are all active event listeners regardless of where they are, but I don't know if gameScripts work that way.

As an aside, maybe you could port your statuses to a story script?

Last edited by fireundubh; 27/10/17 01:09 AM. Reason: Wrong speaker

journeyman
journeyman
You swapped topic creators bro : p. I just chimed in because I was curious.

That being said, Fire is correct. You can handle all status code in a seperate gamescript or even in Osiris. (I currently do it in Osiris myself but am in the middle of creating systems and cleaning up my terrible, terrible code from my first week or so of learning stuff)

I can't see any reason why a base file needs edited for statuses.

F
enthusiast
enthusiast
F
Originally Posted by Sinistralis
You swapped topic creators bro :p

Oh! I just disabled avatars and switched the user info layout to the top of the post, so I guess I'm not paying attention to who's writing the posts. laugh

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I edited statuses.gamescript to add saving throws to vanilla BURNING, instead of changing every fire skill to add SMARM_BURNING and creating a separate gamescript file for that, because working with vanilla statuses would preserve compatibility with mods that add extra skills. The custom statuses I created were for surface-applied statuses (SURFACE_BURNING), which need to be handled differently so as to avoid spamming players with 100 'saved vs burning' notifications while walking across a fire surface with high magic armor.

Thanks for pointing out the change. Starting over with my own gamescript and a full set of custom statuses tomorrow.

Last edited by smarmbot; 27/10/17 12:48 PM.
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Aaaaand I can't get custom gamescripts to work either.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Think I've found a way to do what I want with character scripts alone, but I'm still interested in knowing if gamescripts can be edited at all anymore.

Last edited by smarmbot; 27/10/17 11:14 PM.
old hand
old hand
The patch also seemed to break my Enemy Randomization mod, which hooks into DefaultCharacter. However, my bard mod which hooks into Base seems fine. I've tried reimporting the DefaultCharacter resource and whatnot, but no dice. The mod works fine in the editor, but not ingame. I noticed something odd, where the enemies received random buffs in the first fight after the patch, but it stopped working after that.

I could probably convert this to Osiris, but I'd rather not since I don't know Osiris as well, and character scripts are more easily customizable for people if in an unpacked version.

But seriously, we still really need a way to easily hook into character scripts in an easily compatible way.

old hand
old hand
So Base.charScript works, but DefaultCharacter doesn't seem to, unless I'm screwing something up. Really weird and annoying change.

F
enthusiast
enthusiast
F
Yeah, I don't understand why the change was made, and unfortunately, KVN's not around to clarify what he meant by:

Originally Posted by Larian_KVN
An in-engine fix to avoid existing mods with already altered data to still override resources will be part of the next game patch

It sounds like the change is temporary though until Patch 5.

addict
addict
Hey guys,

I'm back in action smile The change was as follows:

- Some mods did an override of Engine or Shared resources such as Engine_Default texture resources. This could cause problems where the system would unload Engine_Default when disabling the mod, and lose all reference to that texture, since the original one was overridden from the start.

- The amount of resources that need to be kept in backup to support overriding those was a bit ridiculous and overriding them often didn't make much sense anyway. The Engine and Game resources are base elements of our engine. They shouldn't really be visible/editable but we're all about transparency, so there they are smile

- The fix in this version is that the Resource browser blocks you from overriding them. The fix I mentioned that is still coming is that there should be a check for mods that already override those files from before the fix. The engine will ignore the override when loading resources and keep using the original.

There are no script resources in Game or Engine so the fact that those behave differently is unrelated to this specific change. Nonetheless, it still needs to be investigated smile So I'm putting it on the list.

Sincerely,
Kevin

Last edited by Larian_KVN; 24/11/17 03:23 PM.

CTRL+K the elf

Moderated by  Larian_KVN 

Link Copied to Clipboard