Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
WTHX Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
W
Note that I do not know if this is the best way of doing it and this is something I kinda just made from trail and error.
If you have any pointers on how to do this better let me know!

20 steps to replace any model with another.

Step 1:
Create a new project and select Add-on, also load data from Story and target Story. Set a name for you project and click Create.

Step 2:
When the editor is done loading it will ask you to load a level, this is not needed for this mod so simple press the 'x' or cancel.

Step 3:
I will close down all panels during the tutorial, this is optional.

Step 4:
Open the resource manager by clicking on its icon.

Step 5:
Make sure your mod-folder is selected and press the indicated icon to add an empty package, name it and press ok.

Step 6:
Now to find models open "Shared/Characters/Elves/Elves_Female_Armor"
You should see several items in the list.

Step 7:
You can filter out item-types on this row, for example hiding textures and material resources. This is also optional.

Step 8:
Select what items/models you want to replace. You can use the search bar to find all parts for a particular slot.

Step 9:
When they are selected press "Checkout Current Item".
Press yes on two prompts. Prompt 1 Prompt 2
They should now be present in your package that you made at the start.

Step 10:
Now to find the model you want to replace it with. I will be using the sebille arms.

Step 11:
From this model Copy its Source File location simply by right-clicking and copying to clipboard.

Step 12:
Now go to the model you imported in your package, select it and replace its Source File location.
The item will now look like shit. This is because it got the old textures that does not fit your new model.
Mod item
NOTE: If the Source path is not white and can not be edited then you probably imported it wrong, you must use the Checkout button as mentioned in step 9.

Step 13:
Double-click your item to open the Edit Visual window, here it shows how many and what textures the item uses. Keep this window open.
Now do the same for the item that you wanted to change it into, for me it was the Sebill arms.
Here we can see what the correct texture is named.
correct texture

Step 14:
The correct texture is located in the same place as you found your model, make sure that you can see it and then make sure it is selected.
Now press this button to change what texture to use on the model. button

Step 15:
Repeat this process for all instances that you want to alter then save your project and close the editor.

You are done! Try the mod in-game!

Last edited by Larian_KVN; 03/10/17 04:18 PM. Reason: Forced an update to get the URLs to display correctly.
A
stranger
stranger
A
Getting prompt "no packages available" when trying to checkout current item.

W
WTHX Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
W
Make sure you did step 5 and created a package for your mod.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Thank you for your answer, this was the issue.
My issue now is at the final step, the changes made to the "edit visual" pannel are not working.

I can paste the new material no problem, but as soon as i close the panel and reopen it it auto reverts back to the original .PBR.

Any idea?

addict
addict
I can confirm this is absolutely the correct way to do this smile
Good step-by-step approach.

I will say, checkout in step 9 is also be possible by 'right-click' > "Open For Edit..."

Also, you can make sure the override worked by looking if the original resource now has a grey background and a right-click option "Go to Active Resource..." which when clicked opens your package where you placed the modded resource.

Last edited by Larian_KVN; 03/10/17 04:26 PM.

CTRL+K the elf
A
stranger
stranger
A
Yeah thanks for your input but no luck so far, still stuck at the final step. I've tried with many armors(currently trying to replace variants of Platemail armor for elves with the Scalemail ones). The material just won't stick to it.

https://imgur.com/a/A6d8i

Left visual panel is the original lower scalemail for reference, right one is the plate armor I'm editing. They're exactly the same, yet it doesn't take my edits into account and if i close and reopen the visual panel it's back to it's original plate materials...

A
stranger
stranger
A
EDIT : windows was messing with the engine UI on my 4k TV so I just didn't have the "apply" button on the visual editor... really my bad :)

It all works perfectly fine, thank you very much for the tutorial !!

S
stranger
stranger
S
Great guide!

If I wanted to change the colour of an armour, as is possible with the visual editor, how would I go about doing that?

W
WTHX Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
W
Originally Posted by Steelfang
Great guide!

If I wanted to change the colour of an armour, as is possible with the visual editor, how would I go about doing that?

I am not sure, since it seems colours are bound to the items when you find them in-game and not the models that they use.

B
journeyman
journeyman
B
I tried to replace male scale armor with platemail and blackrin armor. Replaced boots, arms, legs and helemet with blackring ones just fine. All works in game.

However I have replaced everything for all Scale chest pieces with platemail and nothing in game. It still stays as scale armor on my character.

https://imgur.com/a/jqYk8

On left is original Plate armor with Cape, on right is edited scale upperbody. Everything is maching. Yet model does not work in game...

W
WTHX Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
W
Hmm, have you replace every "upperbody" for scale armour?
As I understand the game uses 1 type of arms, legs and lowerbody for the most part while the upperbody have around 4-6 different variants. Type A,B,C,D,E etc.

Have you only replaced Human_male_armor_scalemail_a_upperbody_b? You probably need to do the same thing for every other possible entry in the resource manager.

G
journeyman
journeyman
G
Why can't you change the RootTemplate in the stats editor to the one you want?

Oh is it cause the thing crashes whenever you try to do that

Last edited by Grondoth; 17/10/17 03:44 AM.
D
stranger
stranger
D
thanks for the guide. I was wondering if you also knew how to keep the original? that way not everone is wearing the same thing as me.

W
WTHX Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
W
Sorry, this is something I personally do not know.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by WTHX

Mod item
NOTE: If the Source path is not white and can not be edited then you probably imported it wrong, you must use the Checkout button as mentioned in step 9.

Hello i want to create new armor instead of editing previous one. I couldnt edit that source path.

How can i create new armor instead of overwriting previous armors?

Edit: Just closed engine and opened again. That section is editable now.

Last edited by Elvasat; 22/10/17 02:28 PM.
G
journeyman
journeyman
G
Uh, this seems to be borked now.

W
WTHX Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
W
Originally Posted by Grondoth
Uh, this seems to be borked now.

Yepp, and I am quite unsure why.
Will update if I learn anything.

B
stranger
stranger
B
It appears to be broken by the new patch/hotfix. I noticed some debug messages when loading up that mentions file versions being too new. Perhaps that's the issue.

B
stranger
stranger
B
After a bit of digging, it appears there have been some changes, perhaps? The notes are a bit vague, so I can't quite tell what it's saying.

http://larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=633839#Post633845

N
stranger
stranger
N
Anyone know a workaround as of yet?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard