Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Simply put, both of these skills deal about +25% damage compared to a normal attack, for the cost of +50% extra AP. So they see very little use because they're not as good as saving or spending the extra AP on something else.

I have never used these skills all game. I don't expect that to change.

Even if you want to make the (BAD) argument that they're meant to be used as finishers if you only have 3 AP and can't do enough damage in one normal attack - which is a rare edge case, there's a problem:

The tooltip for Flurry says it does X damage 3 times, so for a player to decide whether Flurry is the right move to use to finish an enemy, they'll need to alt-tab out and open a calculator then calculate the new min and max damage for Flurry to see if that'll do enough damage. No one wants to do that. Flurry's tooltip should instead be changed to say "the total amount of damage from all three attacks will be X).

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Stabbey
so for a player to decide whether Flurry is the right move to use to finish an enemy, they'll need to alt-tab out and open a calculator then calculate the new min and max damage for Flurry to see if that'll do enough damage.

Because multiplication by 3 is so hard you need a calculator to do it...What do they teach in schools these days?

Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Sharp
Because multiplication by 3 is so hard you need a calculator to do it...What do they teach in schools these days?

You're a dumbass.

Quick: An enemy has 740 health and no PA left. Your regular attack only does 569-599 damage. Flurry's description says it does 234-246 damage 3 times. Will Flurry finish the target off? You have 5 seconds to answer.

Your crappy snark is not a sufficient argument for why the game should not put that in the tooltip, and more to the point it has nothing to do with the larger thrust, which is that the skills are not really worth using.

Last edited by Stabbey; 28/10/17 04:12 AM.
Totally agree; after I have a few more abilities, flurry is straight up removed from my bar. Would rather float an extra AP at the end of my turn and save it than use my 3 AP weapon ability.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Minimum damage of 702, don't even need to calculate the max and it took less than 5 seconds to do it mentally. And seriously, I play games where attacks have weird tick numbers like 11 and 24 and it only shows the first. Suck it up and don't QQ, there are plenty of reasons to argue for both.

Last edited by Sharp; 28/10/17 05:31 AM.
veteran
veteran
Not everyone is good at maths or even wishs to be good at brain calculating.

C
journeyman
journeyman
C
Originally Posted by Kalrakh
Not everyone is good at maths or even wishs to be good at brain calculating.

I am quite good at it, and still, I play games to relax from school, so mental math (especially at the later stages of the game where numbers go into 4 digits, 5 if you've min/maxed extensively) really is counterproductive to my reason to play lol...

enthusiast
enthusiast
Flurry should get a damage boost but it makes 0 sense to add together the 3 attacks and list them as 1, because they behave as 3 separate attacks. You can miss on attack 1, 2, 3, or any combination of them, it isn't guaranteed that all 3 hit. You can crit on 1 and not 1 of the others. This is why it makes perfect sense to list only the damage of 1 hit. Furthermore, even if you are not good at basic multiplication, you can still make a tactical decision about whether or not to use it, without knowing exactly how much damage it will do. It goes something like this:

1) Do I have a better use for 3 AP? If yes, don't use Flurry.
2) Do I have a better use for 1 AP? If yes, don't use Flurry.
3) Will I have a better use next turn for either 3 or 1 AP? If yes, then don't use flurry.
4) Is my only option on either this turn or the next to do a basic attack or Flurry? If yes, definitely use Flurry.

Almost any 1 AP ability can be justified being used over flurry, you definitely won't be using flurry in the late game and it is likely something you will only be using in A1, if at all. I would rather remove my offhand and use sucker punch however, then use flurry.

old hand
old hand
Yep boosted both of those.

Z
stranger
stranger
Z
Flurry and All in are useful early game when you lack any skills. They're also useful to finish off opponents when your other skills won't cut it, or to set up your next person to do so for the same reason. They do fall off, but I've used them throughout the game still, just significantly less than I did in the beginning.

N0x Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Zoranus
Flurry and All in are useful early game when you lack any skills. They're also useful to finish off opponents when your other skills won't cut it, or to set up your next person to do so for the same reason. They do fall off, but I've used them throughout the game still, just significantly less than I did in the beginning.

I agree that those 2 skills can be useful at the beginning of the game but they fall off "really" soon. I stopped using them since level 6 I think.

For those that did not already saw the skill rating survey, you can have a look HERE under section "SPECIAL".
Flurry and All in are in fact rated below average but I think it is fair. They are used as no CD finishers.

The problem is if you compare their usefulness to other skills like "Shield up" for example.
This skill should be as situational as the previous two and not an all purpose skill.

Last edited by N0x; 31/10/17 07:56 PM.
I
stranger
stranger
I
A flat damage boost to them wouldn't be as interesting to me as something like giving Flurry a 40% Bleed chance and All In a 20% Cripple chance.

But yes they certainly need a buff as I currently only ever use them if it will finish off an opponent.

G
stranger
stranger
G
Each strike of Flurry appears to apply the full bonus damage from Venom Coating. Not sure if that's the case for Firebrand, too. Situational utility then, but potentially devastating with the right buffs applied.

F
apprentice
apprentice
F
I always assumed flurry would do 150% damage. No I feel bad for using that ability...

About the tool-tip, it shouldn't be a problem to display the combined number and still make it 3 attacks. If I were to think about 1 ability for 5 seconds (and I certainly took longer than 5 seconds), then my friends would probably scream at me. They already say I need to long for my turns :P

L
apprentice
apprentice
L
Yeah, both those skills are bad, single handed knockdown is excellent, but flurry and all-in are just trash, they need 25-50% damage boost.

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard