Print Thread
S
Secuter Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Hello everybody.

This is my first post here. So lets get to it.

I believe that most skills and weapons are balanced out one way or not. However, I do not think that the same can be said about spears / polearms. These seems to be put in a rather peculiar position. One could say an uncomfortable position.

Whilst I believe that most of you know why that is, I will still touch upon why I think so.

Spears and Polearms are Finesse based weapons much like Daggers and cross/bows. This means that spears gains bonus from Finesse. The main problems arise:

1. Spears and polearms relies on the Warfare skills to be effective, that in turn relies on Strenght

2. Daggers and Cross/bows each has their own special set of Finesse based skills which makes them viable. Spears does not have that luxury.

This leaves spears in a vulnerable position as they are worse than other two-handed weapons and lacks synergi with any specific skills.

I think this should be remedied somehow.
One solution could be to make it a strength based weapon. Another solution could be to give Spears their own special skills, which define them better. I mean, Whirvelwind matches a sword better than a spear.
The skills could be more defensively made as Spears and Polearms tend to be more defensive than a sword which is more of an offensive weapon.

Edit: I talked to my brother, whom I play the game with, about this.

One way to make a class around spears could be to keep it in finesse, but instead of Shield Up and All In it could have a Javelin throw.
Further more spears could have other javelin based skills, which makes it somewhat of a hybrid class - naturally with focus on the melee part.

TLDR: Spears are finesse based, but that does not benefit the weapon as all its skills are strength based. Possible solutions in the end.

Last edited by Secuter; 30/10/17 10:20 PM.
E
apprentice
apprentice
E
Pretty sure most warefare skills scale on whatever your weapons scales with. I haven't checked myself but I've seen/read about plenty of people saying that things like whirldwind scales with int when using a staff eg. Should work the same with spear I'd think.

S
Secuter Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
[quote=Elidan]Pretty sure most warefare skills scale on whatever your weapons scales with. I haven't checked myself but I've seen/read about plenty of people saying that things like whirldwind scales with int when using a staff eg. Should work the same with spear I'd think. [/quote]

I might be wrong and works differently, but most of the Warfare skills says "receives bonus from strength".

http://divinityoriginalsin2.wiki.fextralife.com/Battle+Stomp

stranger
stranger
Warfare skills receive bonus from different attributes, depending on what kind of weapon you're using.

Was it really me?
Z
stranger
stranger
Z
Ignore if the tooltip says strength, it definitely scales from the weapon's attribute, even if it's a staff.

I love spears. Their range has been a huge asset in my latest playthrough, where I'm playing a crit-ranger and a crit-knight as lone-wolves. It's longer than any other two-handed weapon.

Thread title: "Spears and their peculiar position" ... In the dumpster.

Warfare scales off of the scaling of your weapon. If the tool-tip says strength, you're using a one-handed melee weapon or two-handed non-spear/staff. It changes dynamically based off of that alone. Try it, next time you have a chance, you'll see what I'm saying.

Spears are trash and so are staves. I'm currently a warfare staff user on my 2nd Honour mode campaign, because it's just hilarious. Without that, staves are trash.

B
stranger
stranger
B
Not sure why spears and polearms are finesse weapons, these are supposed to be quite large and heavy weapons and, from RP concept, I am not sure how a low strength person can even manage to wield them with any kind of efficiency or precision.

Last edited by Brimsurfer; 31/10/17 12:33 PM.
W
apprentice
apprentice
W
Warefare abilities that im currently using on my rogue are finese based so i guess its viable to make a finess warrior and put a spear on him. With a couple of points into str so he can wear heavy armor (or not) and wits i think you can make something good. It it doesnt work you can always respec. In fact i will give it a try myself! smile

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard