Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
J
I was thinking of some kind of rebalance mode to add some variety by improving too weak builds and nerfing overpowered. And imo what needs to be rebalanced the most are talents. Does mod tool allow you to change them? because I couldn't find the way.

J
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
J
Also if there is a possibility to change basic attributes bonuses, like Strength or Vitality?

veteran
veteran
Unfortunately no. It is one of the most wanted things to be altered by a patch.

J
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
J
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
Unfortunately no. It is one of the most wanted things to be altered by a patch.

Thank you for the reply. Hope they will change it soon. It's kind of weird that you can do very complex things with AI, but can't change talent so it will give 2 skill points instead of one.

M
M
Baardvark seems to have found a way/work-around....
I haven't tried to tinker with it myself though.

Last edited by MAHak; 31/10/17 09:18 AM.
M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Looking at the following post, it seems that you can change some of the values of the pre-existing talents, though? You may not be able to add or subtract talents, but you could change what the ones there are do, right?

Am I wrong?

My main goal is to change some of the prerequisites for acquiring many of the existing talents.

This is the post I am referring to:

http://larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=633399#Post633399

You can (pretty sure) override the name of a talent via localization files.
You can modify the effects of a talent that are configurable through Data.txt.
You can modify requirements of talents via Requirements.txt.
You can script additional effects to a character upon learning a talent, and remove these effects upon respec. This means that, for some talents, you can apply an effect that counteracts its own effect--essentially removing its default behavior.

Anything else, that still aims to preserve the talent UI, is not possible.

F
enthusiast
enthusiast
F
Originally Posted by Ameranth
You can (pretty sure) override the name of a talent via localization files.

That depends on whether talent names are translated strings or localization strings.

There is no support for localization strings whatsoever.

LSLib Contributor | My Mods: DOS2, DOS2DE | 560K Steam Workshop Subscribers
J
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
J
Thank you guys, it seems I can do most of the planned stuff by changing Data.txt and adding additional scripts, which is great!
Another question, is there any documentation that describes all the properties in Data.txt? Unfortunately, they don't have any comments there and not all of the properties are understandable by their name. For instance, AbilityPerseveranceArmorPerPoint, no idea how it may work.

F
enthusiast
enthusiast
F
Originally Posted by JetNLoad
For instance, AbilityPerseveranceArmorPerPoint, no idea how it may work.

Perseverance is a combat ability that "restores Magic Armor after you recover from Frozen or Stunned, and restores physical Armor after knocked down or Petrified." By default, each point in Perseverance increases the armor restored by 5%. You can increase or decrease that value.

journeyman
journeyman
Just to clarify MAHak's post, the ability to create custom "talent/ability-like" things is possible, they just will not be shown in the traditional UI. You will need to list them in a status, dialogue, or something similar. You will also need a custom means by which to respec those options.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Sinistralis
Just to clarify MAHak's post, the ability to create custom "talent/ability-like" things is possible, they just will not be shown in the traditional UI. You will need to list them in a status, dialogue, or something similar. You will also need a custom means by which to respec those options.
+

What about a passive skill to learn, with variable memory cost? Would that be a workaround?

J
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
J
Originally Posted by fireundubh

Perseverance is a combat ability that "restores Magic Armor after you recover from Frozen or Stunned, and restores physical Armor after knocked down or Petrified." By default, each point in Perseverance increases the armor restored by 5%. You can increase or decrease that value.

Right, I've totally forgotten that Perseverance is the ability name.
+

What about a passive skill to learn, with variable memory cost? Would that be a workaround?

I think this is a solid solution. Players would be able to read the talent's details which is good.

Last edited by JetNLoad; 02/11/17 09:18 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by fireundubh

Right, I've totally forgotten that Perseverance is the ability name.
+

I think this is a solid solution. Players would be able to read the talent's details which is good.

But would it work?

veteran
veteran
On a second note, I know that skills are hardcoded in the sense that we can't add new ones. But what about modifying existing ones? Changing their name, and the bonuses provided etc. Would that work?

F
enthusiast
enthusiast
F
On a second note, I know that skills are hardcoded in the sense that we can't add new ones. But what about modifying existing ones? Changing their name, and the bonuses provided etc. Would that work?

I answered a similar question about changing Lone Wolf, so here's part of my reply:

---

This is the description of Lone Wolf:

Lone Wolf provides +2 Max AP, +2 Recovery AP, +30% Vitality, +30% Physical Armour, +30% Magic Armour, and doubles invested points in attributes and combat abilities (except Polymorph ability), while you are adventuring solo or with at most one companion. This bonus is temporarily removed while there are more than two members in the current party. Incompatible with Glass Cannon

You can change the values of Max AP, Recovery AP, Vitality, Physical Armour, and Magic Armour.

Code
key "LoneWolfMaxAPBonus","2"
key "LoneWolfAPBonus","2"
key "LoneWolfMagicArmorBoostPercentage","30"
key "LoneWolfArmorBoostPercentage","30"
key "LoneWolfVitalityBoostPercentage","30"

What you can't change:
  • You can't change whether Lone Wolf "doubles invested points in attributes and combat abilities."
  • You can't change whether the Polymorph ability points are excluded from that bonus.
  • You can't change the conditions "while you are adventuring solo" or "with at most one companion."
  • You can't change whether the bonus is "temporarily removed."
  • You can't change the party limit in the condition "while there are more than two members in the current party."
---

Same concept for other talents.

veteran
veteran
I see, thank you. What do you think of passive skills to be learned via skillbook? Would that work since talents are so incredibly useless?

journeyman
journeyman
I mean, most of the things you listed CAN be altered, it just has to be done via scripts.

I am also planning to do the Talents as learnable skills Route Ansem. There is a Active/Deactive call that fires when someone memorizes/forgets a skill.

veteran
veteran
I mean, most of the things you listed CAN be altered, it just has to be done via scripts.

I am also planning to do the Talents as learnable skills Route Ansem. There is a Active/Deactive call that fires when someone memorizes/forgets a skill.

That sounds like a good step in the right direction!

Moderated by  Larian_KVN 

Link Copied to Clipboard