Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
I'm referring of course to the abysmally annoying ticking sound it makes when you move your cursor over anything on any menu in the game. For example, any item in your inventory, any clickable box on your character screen, scroll bars, menu options, conversation options.

I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about. It seems like it has a limit of occurring twice per second. But for the life of me I can't figure out why this annoyance is in the game at all. Does this sound enhance the game for anyone? For now I have sound disabled because it was literally giving me a headache, but I don't much enjoy playing games without sound.

In many games where there are UI sounds, under the audio options, there is a slider to adjust the volume of UI sounds.

Last edited by AryaSeaworth; 04/08/14 07:36 PM.
W
W
I just booted up the game to figure out what you meant.

I'm not sure if it possible or not, but maybe you could put a request in on the mod forum?

A
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
Alright I'll do that. Thanks.

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
In the audio options, there are different sliders for music, ambient sound etc. You can switch off the ticking sound completely by putting the "FX" slider to 0.

Last edited by Elwyn; 04/08/14 07:37 PM.
A
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
Originally Posted by Elwyn
In the audio options, there are different sliders for music, ambient sound etc. You can get switch off the ticking sound completely by putting the "FX" slider to 0.

Yeah... I know. That also removes all game sound. It's a pretty ridiculous compromise if you ask me. There should be a slider for UI sound.

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
You can maybe play a little bit with the music and the ambient slider and try to make the ticking sound less annoying but making the music louder.

I agree, they should have probably made the UI sound a separate slider.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Just ignore the "ticking sound"--I actually like it. It's just UI feedback, but maybe you'd prefer a bell or a loud gong?...;) I don't know why the sound stands out for you...I barely notice it. And, as I said, I like it (for some reason)...;)

I'm never wrong about anything, and so if you see an error in any of my posts you will know immediately that I did not write it...;)
W
W
People are different and have different responses to audio. It bugs the OP, it may bug some people, it's unlikely to be a general thing or we would have read more about it before now. You don't know how much it may irritate the OP, but if he is muting the game because of it, it's probably quite a lot. Not very helpful to ask him to ignore it. I, for example, hate the sound of ice being scratched. Some people hate the sound of chalk on a board.

That's why a mod would seem the best course of action, if people know how to/are able to alter the UI sound.

A
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
Originally Posted by Whysper
People are different and have different responses to audio. It bugs the OP, it may bug some people, it's unlikely to be a general thing or we would have read more about it before now. You don't know how much it may irritate the OP, but if he is muting the game because of it, it's probably quite a lot. Not very helpful to ask him to ignore it. I, for example, hate the sound of ice being scratched. Some people hate the sound of chalk on a board.

That's why a mod would seem the best course of action, if people know how to/are able to alter the UI sound.

You get it! Thanks smile Yeah it's just one of those things that bothers me. I can't explain why. I just wish UI sounds weren't tied into game effects sounds. Because I want to be able to hear the sounds of combat, my character's footsteps and things like that. I suppose for now I can view this as sort of a test of mental willpower - can I overcome this annoyance? Perhaps I can even transcend to a state of being where I don't even hear it. The key is not to focus on not focusing on this sound. Because by focusing on not doing something, you are in fact still putting effort into focusing on that thing, whether or not your disposition toward that stimuli is negative or positive.

Still, a mod would be really cool wink

W
stranger
stranger
W
Found a way to remove that sound.

Go to:

Divinity - Original Sin\Data\Public\Main\Assets\Sound\

find the file named: "Permanent.bnk" and move it somewhere else as a backup. That's it.

Permanent.bnk contains all of the Interface sounds like - ticking, clicking, identifying, crafting, etc.

Works good, no issues.

stranger
stranger
Thanks thanks thanks!! You are my hero :p That ticking sound was killing me. Take care!

stranger
stranger
Epic post xP I too have suffered the pain of the tick-tick sound!! We are in this together!

Link Copied to Clipboard