#635712 05/11/17 01:19 PM
A
Aguilar Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
A
Hi smile

I've started the game pretty much like the party I had in DOS1. Ranger (physical mostly), Tank (phy), mage (water/air), mage (pyro/earth).

But I'm getting bored and would now prefer to focus on physical dmg only. I find it annoying to lower the phy shield and then doing the same on the Ele one, not opti :p

So I'll keep the first two characters as they are (ranger & tank) and I'll change one elemental mage for a Necro, doing physical damage then smile

But I'm wondering what to do of the last elemental mage: healing & buff mage? a sort of scoundrel? a summoner?

Any idea/advice are welcome as I have not played the game much so far (level 7 only) wink

Cheers!

J
apprentice
apprentice
J
I have Paladin swordsman, a dual-dagger-wielding Necro Rogue, and two archers: one a straight-up Ranger and the other one a Summoner/Ranger hybrid. It's worked well thus far.

A
Aguilar Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
A
What about a Summoner/Necro?

stranger
stranger
Going Necro-only will be tough early game, as you won't have access to many damage skills. If you want to make a beast from your Necro, go Warfare+Necro, it's devastating, but only after you can cast Grasp of The Dead and/or Blood Storm.

Necro/Summoning will work great (go for 10 summoning first, then go Necro). So in your case, you can just pump into summoning and make a blood summon.

I found Scoundrel to be very fun and powerfull, as you should invest into scoundrel and warfare, you have access to a lot of CCS and they will outdamage your other physical character at first (but will fall off in the mid-endgame)

A
Aguilar Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
A
Originally Posted by HeyHeyMyMy
Going Necro-only will be tough early game, as you won't have access to many damage skills. If you want to make a beast from your Necro, go Warfare+Necro, it's devastating, but only after you can cast Grasp of The Dead and/or Blood Storm.

Necro/Summoning will work great (go for 10 summoning first, then go Necro). So in your case, you can just pump into summoning and make a blood summon.

I found Scoundrel to be very fun and powerfull, as you should invest into scoundrel and warfare, you have access to a lot of CCS and they will outdamage your other physical character at first (but will fall off in the mid-endgame)

I'm at the ship so I can respec now my two elemental mages to something physical smile

So I'm keeping my warrior/poly and my pure ranger.
I've added a Necro/Warfare before seeing your advise so it makes me think that is a good idea!

For the 4th, I'll be doing a Necro/Summoner but I have two choices here:
- Relying on the Bone Widow (little preference here)
- Relying on the Incarnate

Those are 2 very different builds, even though they are both Necro/Summoner, the spells and side schools choices are very different.

Still wondering ahah.

stranger
stranger
I don't know... I've been running 2 elementalists and 2 physical and I'm having a blast. If they were all magic users, or all physical the battles will be so much more boring!!

The thing is, the main dps is my pyro-geo-poly high wits mage so all the others are kinda support. The other mage is hydro-aero-necro and usually he only deals damage in the form of Blood Storm/Thunderstorm/Chain Lightning or to finish off something the other mage was focusing with basic spells. The physical damage dealers can do insane amounts of damage, but I found them to be better at CCing than any mage, so that's where I focus them... It's nice to receive damage from time to time!

But if I was running a full physical party, I wouldn't use Necromancer as one of the main schools. Necromancer direct damage skills scale with Intelligence and while Warfare scales with intelligence as well while using a staff, the basic attacks deal magic damage (the warfare skills too iirc) and there are very few, very situational Necromancy spells to begin with... I'd only use necromancy for support and Bloodstorm/Grasp of the Starved.

I've seen a build using Bone Widow with max Summoning somewhere. It sounds good, but it's very slow and passive since widows only use basic attacks. Incarnates have access to powerful infusions and are more versatile imo. Still, I'm not conviced about the Summoner gameplay, too pasive for me xD

Loki makes the world more interesting but less safe... He is the father of monsters, the author of woes, the sly god...
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
[Tactician Difficulty]
For Joy Island where we still are, our group was initially and has become:

-Fane (main character): Summoner with 1 Geo. We soon learned that, with enough +1 Summon items (2 rings and a helm), we could get Incarnate Champions (skill level 10 Summon) at character level 6!

-Red Prince: Initially a Shadowblade for stealing and Chicken ability. Became a 1H and shield melee unit due to character concept, but soon heavily diversified. With items, he has Warfare 2, Polymorph 2, Scoundrel 2, Summoning 2, and some other abilities. Summoning Incarnates 'flanking buddies' and disposable mini-fighters has been quite useful, even moreso with Farsight and Power Infusions (and Blood Infusion when summoning on blood).

-Lohse: Initially an Enchanter for magic. Also became a diversified caster and archer to do physical damage more often. With items, she has Aero 3, Hydro 1, Summoning 2, Necro 1, Pyro 1, Hunt 2, and some other abilities. Totems, incarnates, Mosquito Swarm (Necro) and bow abilities have turned her from niche use into continuous relevance.

-Beast: Initially a Shadowblade for stealing and Chicken ability. Became the group's primary archer because long range killing was more useful than stab-o-port (Backlash from Scoundrel) and melee often got crowded with Red Prince, totems, incarnates, and enemies in close proximity to each other. With items, he has, amongst other abilities, Hunt 2, Scoundrel 2, Polymorph 2, and Summoning 1. Summoning was so useful that he also learned this.

[Overall]
We struggled early game because of split physical/magical armor damage and general newness to the game. Reading forum posts and guides helped a bit, but after realizing that more units on our side meant battles were easier and that focusing everything on physical damage made everyone more 'compatible,' combat became less frustrating overall. We also learned, according to one forum post, that magic damage becomes more useful later, perhaps starting in act 2 or 3. At least for now, we intend to focus on physical damage and the occasional Atrophy, Knocked Down, and Chicken status effect on enemies.

A
Aguilar Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
A
Originally Posted by LokiTheAnsuz

But if I was running a full physical party, I wouldn't use Necromancer as one of the main schools. Necromancer direct damage skills scale with Intelligence and while Warfare scales with intelligence as well while using a staff, the basic attacks deal magic damage (the warfare skills too iirc) and there are very few, very situational Necromancy spells to begin with... I'd only use necromancy for support and Bloodstorm/Grasp of the Starved.

You don't need the basic attack when you can use the very powerful shield one wink
Add to that all the Necro physical spells and that's simply fantastic!
My Necro is the tankiest character I have, thanks to her shield and its protection spell, Forteress & Bone Cage. Imagine the damage when using all this in addition to Explosive Armor!!!

Yes it can be situational, but it was not it would be OP which is not fun smile

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard