Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I recently finished my first playthrough of D:OS 2. I played using a mixed team:
Beast (Rogue): Scoundrel / Aerothurge / Polymorph (with a splash into two other schools for buffs)
Red Prince (Knight): Warfare / Summoner / Hydrosophist (Hydro for heals and buffs)
Lhose (Enchanter): Aerothurge / Hydrosophist / Necromancer
Sebille (Wizard): Pyrokinetic / Geomancer

I tried out a lot of skills from the game, with the exception of Huntsman. I didn't use a lot of Source skills and not a lot of crafted skills. Still, I've got a bunch of feedback, complete with suggestions for changes. I have tried to justify my opinions with sensible reasons why the current skill has an issue, and what I think a reasonable change is. I am open to discussion and changing my mind on many of these, if you have an argument of your own.

These are presented roughly in order of when I thought of them, not based on priority of the change.

Stabbey's Feedback, Part 2: Abilities and Attributes

Skill Balance

[Sourcery] Remove Source Point cost for Bless
Why? - Bless and Curse were promoted as these big game-changing skills which could alter terrain and change how the game plays. Unfortunately in the current state, only Curse sees significant use. Bless is not powerful enough to be worth the cost of a Source Point. This is because it only upgrades surfaces by one level (from cursed to normal or normal to blessed), and for only 2 turns. Meanwhile, enemies get to curse all day and all night long. Enemies cast curse directly, they cast curse with their Void Glide movement skill, and can even bleed curse, all for free. Bless cannot fulfill its main use of clearing cursed surfaces like that, never mind actually being used to create blessed surfaces for the player's use.
Suggested Change: Remove the Source Point cost for Bless completely. If Larian actually intends Bless to be used regularly in the game as part of combat, that has to be done. Any buffs in other areas will not make Bless more attractive because of the Souce Point cost.

If Larian finds it necessary to compensate for that buff, they could increase the AP cost to 2 and possibly increase the cooldown to 3-4 turns. Honestly I could also make an argument for having the Memory cost of Blessed removed, to make it match Source Vision and Source Vampirism, but I'd settle for just ditching the Source Point cost.

EDIT: Oh! How about this as well: Characters under the effects of the Bless status effect bleed Bless when hit. That has a nice symmetry with void creatures bleeding Curse, and provides an incentive to use Bless on a person instead of a surface.

[Warfare] Provoke/Taunt needs major changes
Why? - When a target has no physical armor, there are many other status effects which are better to use on it. Taunt being blocked makes the skill useless in most situations. The patch note from three weeks ago, "Improved Taunting in favour of the Taunter", ignored the main problem.
Suggested Change: This is admittedly tricky. Probably just removing the physical armor save could be an issue. One change at least should be that Taunted characters can only use their normal attack, they are effectively muted and can't use skills, scrolls or potions. Another change might be to adjust it from a short-range caster-centered AoE to a long-range single-target.
EDIT: Maybe combine both those changes... but that still might be annoying if Taunt can penetrate Physical armor. So... wqhat if Taunt lasts for 1 turn, but afterwards, the person is immune from Taunt for the next 2 turns?

[Sebille][Sourcery] Break the Shackles should also remove Silence.
Why? - Seriously, this skill is already extremely situational (if not outright underpowered), given the many ways to remove other status effects. If you make Sebille a mage, Silence is the single biggest crippling spell, and this source point skill entirely based around removing debuffs can't even remove that. You're also very unlikely to be under more than a couple of these status effects at once, further limiting its utility.
Suggested Change: Removes Silence, and possibly Taunted. If this was early in development, I'd also suggest that this could remove hard CC like Stunned and Frozen, but adding code in that only applies if the character is Sebille could be troublesome, so never mind.

[Red Prince][Sourcery] Demonic Stare should also steal Physical Armor
Why? - There are a lot of skills which only restore one type of armor. I can carry scrolls to restore armor. This is a Source skill, if I spend a Source Point, it should be more impressive. No other skill restores BOTH physical and magical armor at once. This skill, by only boosting Magical armor, is much less useful if Red Prince is a mage.
Suggested Change: Maybe reduce the amount of armor it steals, but change it so it steals an equal amount of both armors, so it's useful for more builds and more unique.

[Lhose][Sourcery] Maddening Song should only affect enemies and last 2 turns.
Why? - It's already a cut-rate Charm which still allows enemies to attack your team, it requires a Source point AND lasts only one turn. It's already a very poor and situational use of a Source Point, it doesn't need the additional downside of affecting allies as well. It should also get buffed to two turns.
Suggested Change: The skill should only affect enemies in the radius and be buffed to two turns.

[Dwarf] Lower Petrifying Touch AP cost to 1
Why? Petrifying Touch is not a very powerful skill. It requires magic armor to be stripped, it lasts only one turn, it does poor damage, and it is a melee range skill. Contrast that with the Medusa Head Polymorph skill and its Petrifying Gaze. You get a Petrifying aura, and a skill with a very large radius which does Earth damage to all enemies with petrification. Additionally, the 2 AP cost means that it is less attractive to use. There are a lot of things one can do with 2 AP, most of which would be better choices. If it cost 1 AP that would bring it in line with other racial skills.
Suggested Change: Lower Petrifying Touch's AP cost to 1 AND Remove the damage component. The damage is slight and not the most important thing. Without the damage, it can now be used as a status-effect remover on your teammates, a discount Cryogenic Stasis.

[Human] Improve scaling of Encourage
Why? - It starts out the same as Encourage from D:OS 1 - +1 to 4 attributes. That's already automatically worse than D:OS 1 because one attribute point is worth 25% as much (you start out with 10 instead of 5 and gain 2 per level instead of 0.5).
Suggested Change: Encourage should gain +1 to the 4 attributes every 5 levels (5, 10, 15, 20, etc...). so at level 20, it would be +5 to each. That will keep it much more relevant throughout the game.

Flurry and All In should get a damage boost
Why? - Pretty much no one uses them because they're so AP-inefficient. They do +25% damage for the cost of +50% AP. The way the tooltip for Flurry works makes it even less attractive to use. The tooltip for Flurry says it does X damage 3 times, which makes it a little more inconvenient for its purpose of trying to determine whether it has a reasonable chance of finishing an enemy off.

EDIT: There is the complication that enemies love to use All In and a damage boost there could be troublesome. Hmmm... It still might be worth it just to make it more useful for players, though.

Suggested Change: Boost the damage of Flurry and All In by at least another 15%, up to a maximum of an additional +25%. Consider changing Flurry's tooltip to say "the total amount of damage from all three attacks will be X-X damage).

[Geomancy][Hydrosophist] Improve scaling of Mend Metal and Soothing Cold
Why? - They scale very poorly in comparison to the damage enemies can do. At level 20, with 10 in the appropriate school, they restore 560 armor for 3 turns. That sounds like a lot, but by that time a single enemy can strip more than that amount of armor in a single attack.
Suggested Change: The number might need tweaking, but maybe multiply the boost by 2.5? That would also require boosting Armor of Frost and Fortify as well, though, because they are single-target only.

[Aerothurge] Improve duration of Favourable Wind skill
Why? - It's not a very powerful skill, and that's fine, but to justify memorizing it over other skills, it could be better.
Suggested Change: Increase the duration to 5 or 6 turns (and boost the cooldown period of 5 turns by 1-2 turns). This doesn't increase its power, but because it lasts longer it is more attractive to use.

[Aerothurge] Fix line of sight requirement for Netherswap
Why? - It's a teleportation skill, magically and instantaneously moving two targets by the use of magic. It doesn't seem to make sense that there must be a clear line of sight between both targets with no obstructions.
Suggested Change: The caster requires a clear line of sight to both, that is sufficient.

[Pyrokinetic][Polymorph] Buff Bleed Fire
Why? - It's extremely underwhelming. Enemies bleeding fire is rarely, if not never, something which has a lot of use. It doesn't even do damage other than from the surface.
Suggested Change: Bleed Fire should set Bleed and Burning unless resisted by physical and magical armor respectively.

[Geomancer][Warfare] Oily Carapace should set Immune to Slow
Why? - Well, just from the description alone, it pretty much screams "use this skill after an enemy launches a big oil attack on your feet. This restores your armor, but still leaves you slowed, and almost nothing removes Slow. (I can only think of Haste, which seems like very few buffs considering that slow ignores armor.)
Suggested Change: Remove Slowed status and set Immune to Slow for 1-2 turns (only if you actually absorb some oil).

[Hydrosophist][Polymorph] Healing Tears should work on walking near to allies as well.
Why? - Right now it seems to ONLY work when allies are the ones doing the walking. It should also work when the caster is the one moving to the allies. This seems to be a strange quirk with a lot of aura-type skills.
Suggested Change: Change it so that the healing affects allies once they enter the radius regardless of who was the one who actually moved into the radius.

[Hydrosophist][Scoundrel] Increase casting range of Vampiric Hunger
Why? - It can be cast on allies, but the range is 2 meters. It seems like it should either be a self-buff only, or have a larger casting range.
Suggested Change: Increase the casting range to 5 meters.

[Scoundrel] Boost Gag Order's power/AP
Why? - Compare and contrast to Chloroform, another Scoundrel skill.
Chloroform (Scoundrel 1) strips magic armor and applies Sleeping (hard CC) to targets without MA for one turn at a range of 13 meters. It costs 1 AP to use. Gag order (Scoundrel 2) strips magic armor and applies Silenced (soft CC) to targets without MA for one turn at a range of 3 meters. It costs 3 AP to use.

At level 9:
Chloroform strips 53-59 MA.
Gag Order strips 57-64 MA. (An average increase of 8% over Chloroform, for 200% more AP.)

At level 19:
Chloroform strips 630-696 MA.
Gag Order strips 668-701 MA. (An average increase of 3.5% percent over Chloroform, for 200% more AP.)

In every single aspect, range, effect, Scoundrel point investment needed, and AP cost, Chloroform is vastly superior, for only slightly less damage.

Suggested Change:
Suggestions: Either A) Reduce Gag Order's AP cost from 3 to 1 (not to 2, to 1). -OR-
B) Triple the power of Chloroform for Gag Order to match the AP cost.

At level 9:
OLD Gag Order strips 57-64 MA.
NEW Gag Order strips 159-177 MA.

At level 19:
OLD Gag Order strips 668-701 MA.
NEW Gag Order strips 1890-2088 MA.

One other option which technically would be bringing them into balance would be to nerf Chloroform up to 2 AP and buff Gag Order down to 2 AP. But I don't like that idea.

[Aerothurge][Scoundrel] Buff Smoke Cloud
Why? - 2 AP and a 5 turn cooldown is a lot to ask for a skill which does no damage, lasts for one turn, and can obstruct your teammates view. It could have a niche use for stealth, sneaking through busy areas if it could be cast without breaking sneak or invisibility as well.
Suggested Change: Reduce the AP cost from 2 to 1, reduce the cooldown from 5 turns to 2 or 3. This will make it much more useful in combat for its role of providing cover for the Rogue so they can't be targeted as easily. Allow it to be cast while sneaking or invisible. This will allow it to get a character to hide from patrols for a few seconds.

[Aerothurge][Scoundrel][Sourcery] Buff Blessed Smoke Cloud
Why? - Great, it turns you invisible, BUT the skill only has a 3 meter radius, it only lasts for 1 turn, and it costs 2 memory slots AND 2 source points? Invisibility is removed by almost everything, and it doesn't give bonuses to attacking. This skill seems overpriced and underpowered.
Suggested Change: Instead of boosting the power, reduce the Memory and Source point cost by 1.

[Huntsman] Boost Assassinate's bonus
Why? - Testing with my Finesse character, using Delorus's bow.
Base damage is 407-497.
Assassinate Damage is 468-572. (+15%)
Assassinate Damage while sneaking ranged between... 718 and 856 over 10 attacks. EDIT: Wiki says +72.5%

So maybe the multiplier when sneaking is something like 1.75x a normal attack, which would give a range between 712-870 for 3 AP. My number is no doubt off, but this is a close enough guesstimate for our purposes. EDIT: Actual number is 1.725x the damage of a normal attack.

That's less than the 814-994 you would get for 2 normal attacks at 4 AP, but 1.725 damage for 1.5 times the AP is a good deal. But wait, we're forgetting the AP cost of Sneaking. In combat, with the 4 AP cost of Sneaking to prepare the attack, now you are doing 1.725x damage of a normal attack for 3.5x the AP cost.

So without sneaking, you're paying +50% extra AP to gain +15% extra damage. That is not remotely worthwhile. With Sneaking, it's still underpowered. With the cost of Sneak at 4 AP, this makes Assassinate only useful to open combat, making the AP cost irrelevant. Even if Sneak was reduced to 2 AP, you would still be spending 5 AP to get the damage of 4 AP worth of attacks.
Suggested Change: Boost Assassinate's bonus from +15% to +50% (making this the bow equivilant of "All In") and probably eliminate or greatly reduce the bonus for sneaking.

[Aerothurge] Why does Apportation exist?
Why? - This skill sucks all the items on the ground nearby into your inventory. That's it. This seems to be a clear indication of a developer needing to meet a quota for "Aerothurge skills", but not having enough ideas. This skill is not even available until level 16, at which point you should have better options to use that Memory Slot for, such as every other skill in the entire game.
Suggested Change: Two ideas:
1) The easy, less work one would be to reduce the memory cost of Apporation from 1 to 0. As in this skill does not cost any Memory at all. Because it's really, really, REALLY not worth a memory slot in combat. It doesn't even have a combat use.

2) Delete Apportation and replace with a better skill. Here's one idea for free:
Wind Shear - A line-shaped AoE effect which does moderate air damage to all targets in the line and tries to set Knocked Down (resisted by Magic Armor). AP Cost: 3, Source Point Cost: 0, Cooldown: 5 turns.

Boom, now you have another level 16 skill which actually is worth using.

[Polymorph] Spread Your Wings should make you Floating and immune from ground surfaces
Why? - Floating above surfaces is basically HALF the benefit of the skill. It's annoying that you land at the conclusion of the leap or movement and take damage. And no, I do not care that the animation shows you touching down. You should be immune to surfaces regardless of what the animation shows.
Suggested Change: You don't have to change the animation, just change the code so you're still considered floating and don't take damage at the end of your movement from landing.
EDIT: Alexstrasza suggests that you flap your wings to create a circle of cleared terrain at the point of landing, which is an interesting idea.

[Huntsman] Farsight just underwhelming.
Why? - A Source point and 2 Memory slots feels a lot to ask for just three turns of +2 range. Usually you can get more than enough with high ground in the area and spending those slots onto movement skills.
Suggested Change: Boost the duration to 4 or 5 turns.

[Polymorph] [Element][Sourcery] Boost all [Element] Skin skills
Why? - For requiring a Source point, and also giving you a weakness (even if it is only 30%), these skills are really underwhelming.
Suggested Change: The whole point is the immunity, so boost the duration from 2 turns to 3 or 4 turns. That would be one thing you could do.

Last edited by Stabbey; 17/11/17 04:52 PM. Reason: link to part 2
E
E
Nice read Stabbey. Very well put.

old hand
old hand
From a quick read I agree with most of the points and reasoning; the rest I don't really have experience with. But the presentation of your post is definitely next level.

EDIT: And also, as I pointed out in one of my posts, Silencing Stare (and generally the "Silence" effect) really deserves some fine-tuning.

Last edited by Try2Handing; 08/11/17 07:48 PM.

"We make our choices and take what comes and the rest is void."
M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
well formatted post

i agree with most of it, especially regarding mend metal and soothing cold. those spells are effectively worthless late game, enemies are frequently hitting for 3 to 4 times the amount of armor you recover per turn, and the aoe is already quite small, so it's hard to justify using it over almost anything else

something else not mentioned - is cryogenic stasis working properly? every time i use it it does nothing and is somehow gone almost instantly. allies still manage to take damage with it on too

Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I never used Silencing Stare at all, and the only Silence I used was random chances from weapon attacks.

Originally Posted by miaasma
something else not mentioned - is cryogenic stasis working properly? every time i use it it does nothing and is somehow gone almost instantly. allies still manage to take damage with it on too

Oh right, yeah, it seems to be buggy as hell. One time I swear that I died to a Meteor Storm while still Cryogenically Frozen - which should be impossible because it gives you 100%+ Resist to everything including fire.

But that's a bug, and I'm talking about purposeful things which might need re-balancing.

Great post, Stabbey. The formatting made it enjoyable to read.

For the Spread Your Wings bit, I had an idea for it where when you land, it blows away a circle of terrain effects around where you land. Y'know, like your wings are gusting away the fire or whatever as you bring yourself to a stop and land.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
These are good changes. Unfortunately, the top priority for now is bugs...

Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Alexstrasza
Great post, Stabbey. The formatting made it enjoyable to read.

For the Spread Your Wings bit, I had an idea for it where when you land, it blows away a circle of terrain effects around where you land. Y'know, like your wings are gusting away the fire or whatever as you bring yourself to a stop and land.

Neat idea.

This is sort of both Skills and UI related.

[Polymorph][UI] Skill-granting skills should be replaced on the hotbar
Why? - Several Polymorph skills such as Spread Your Wings, Medusa Head, Bull Horns, and Spider Legs, once used, add a new skill to the hotbar. For some reason, it adds this new skill as a separate skill, instead of replacing the one needed to cast it. This has NEGATIVE synergy with the other UI feature which clutters up your hotbar with every single piece of usable junk you've picked up. If you've done the sensible thing and started ignoring the first 2 hotbars in favour of Hotbars 3-5, it makes it hard to find where the newly granted skill has gone, which is an annoyance. There's no reason why we need to see that Spread Your Wings is active while we have wings sprouting from our backs.
Suggested Change: When casting one of those skills, temporarily replace the base skill with the granted skill, for the duration the granted skill is active. This keeps things neat, and keeps the granted skill easy to find. Once the granted skill ends, bring back the base skill to the original spot with the remaining cooldown.

Update to the idea for Taunt/Provoke (see the bottom):

[Warfare] Provoke/Taunt needs major changes
Why? - When a target has no physical armor, there are many other status effects which are better to use on it. Taunt being blocked makes the skill useless in most situations. The patch note from three weeks ago, "Improved Taunting in favour of the Taunter", ignored the main problem.
Suggested Change: This is admittedly tricky. Probably just removing the physical armor save could be an issue. One change at least should be that Taunted characters can only use their normal attack, they are effectively muted and can't use skills, scrolls or potions. Another change might be to adjust it from a short-range caster-centered AoE to a long-range single-target.
EDIT: Maybe combine both those changes... but that still might be annoying if Taunt can penetrate Physical armor. So... wqhat if Taunt lasts for 1 turn, but afterwards, the person is immune from Taunt for the next 2 turns?

Last edited by Stabbey; 09/11/17 01:12 PM.
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Originally Posted by Stabbey
Probably just removing the physical armor save could be an issue.

IMO this should be applied to all debuff skills. Only soft and hard CC should be blocked by armor. Debuffs (Curse/Nullified Resistance, etc) should all ignore armor.

Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
What makes Taunt more complicated though, is that it acts like soft CC on enemies, but hard CC on PC's, because it removes control from your character.

old hand
old hand
What makes Taunt more complicated though, is that it acts like soft CC on enemies, but hard CC on PC's, because it removes control from your character.

To be fair, *sometimes* the AI does a pretty good job when your char is taunted. I was like wow they played that turn a lot better than I would have. If you have the tools/resources, there are so many things you can possibly do in one turn and sometimes the AI comes up with pretty nice combos.

But it's possible that all they'd do is spamming the same potions within 2 turns.

Last edited by Try2Handing; 09/11/17 08:11 PM.

Originally Posted by Try2Handing
But it's possible that all they'd do is spamming the same potions within 2 turns.

That's what really annoys me.

>get maddened
>spend 6 ap on using my invisibility potions and stuff
>adrenaline
>it doesn't stop
>halp
>flesh sacrifice
>*uncorks another potion*
>AI: ":)"

Last edited by Alexstrasza; 09/11/17 08:45 PM.
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
[Warfare] Enrage (and its status effect) should only disable your 'magical' abilities.

Presently, Enrage prevents people from using 'physical' abilities like Spread Your Wings or Flight. Instead, disable magical skills (like most Pyro/Hydro/Geo/Aero/Necro/Summo skills).

[Summoning] Add a Blood Infusion skillbook.

Presently, the 'blood infusion' skill is available by summoning incarnates on blood surfaces, but this very useful infusion ISN'T available as a book officially. It seems like a very simple matter to make this a crafted book requiring Summoning 1 & Necromancy 1. The art assets and code (almost) all exist.

[Summoning] Why summon 'Plot Units' (Cat Familiar, etc.) instead of Incarnates?

Each summon has its uses, even if they're niche. Mostly though, with a one-at-a-time limit for summons and a notable recharge time and memory slot requirements, why would I seriously consider normally not using an Incarnate instead of, say, a Cat Familiar? Maybe if I could have both swap amongst my summons as an ability where all summons shared the same timer (normally 10 rounds) and all infusions, I'd be inclined to use non-totems and non-Incarnates more often. It's like Pokemon.

Last edited by Endarire; 09/11/17 09:58 PM.
C
journeyman
journeyman
C
It's difficult to disagree with any of this. What boggles my mind is how this even got past QA...

Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Endarire
[Warfare] Enrage (and its status effect) should only disable your 'magical' abilities.

Presently, Enrage prevents people from using 'physical' abilities like Spread Your Wings or Flight. Instead, disable magical skills (like most Pyro/Hydro/Geo/Aero/Necro/Summo skills).

[Summoning] Add a Blood Infusion skillbook.

Presently, the 'blood infusion' skill is available by summoning incarnates on blood surfaces, but this very useful infusion ISN'T available as a book officially. It seems like a very simple matter to make this a crafted book requiring Summoning 1 & Necromancy 1. The art assets and code (almost) all exist.

I agree with both of these.

[Summoning] Why summon 'Plot Units' (Cat Familiar, etc.) instead of Incarnates?

Each summon has its uses, even if they're niche. Mostly though, with a one-at-a-time limit for summons and a notable recharge time and memory slot requirements, why would I seriously consider normally not using an Incarnate instead of, say, a Cat Familiar? Maybe if I could have both swap amongst my summons as an ability where all summons shared the same timer (normally 10 rounds) and all infusions, I'd be inclined to use non-totems and non-Incarnates more often. It's like Pokemon.

I'm not sure I understand this idea very well. It sounds like you want all summons to share the same cooldown period, which, if so, would make me much less likely to have those memorized at all, much less use them.

[Necromancy] Healing from Blood Sucker should work like Mosquito Swarm and Necro Passive
Why? - Right now, Mosquito Swarm and the healing from the passive ability both count as "neutral" healing, they always heal regardless whether the person is Undead or under Decaying Touch. Blood Sucker, is treated as positive healing, so it does harm those under Decaying Touch (and maybe Undead too). This is inconsistent behavior.
Suggested Change: Therefore - unless the blood is Cursed, of course - Blood Sucker should also be treated like Neutral healing (always works). Cursed blood should probably be treated as harmful regardless of Undead or Decaying status.

EDIT: It was pointed out to me that in it's current state, it can be used with Decaying Touch as a powerful damage combo. So that probably might be a good reason to not change it.

[Necromancy] Decaying Touch status on Undead should reverse the effects of Undead Talent
Why? - No super-compelling reason except that it seems like it should make sense. The whole deal with Undead is that they take damage from healing but are healed by poison and such. The Decaying Touch status effect, when applied to a living person, is harmed by non-necromancer healing. I feel like it should reverse the effect when applied to an Undead.

EDIT: However, this idea is mostly me going along with what other people have said, because I haven't played as an Undead yet, so I might be wrong on how some of those interactions work.

Suggested Change: If an Undead is affected by Decaying, positive energy healing spells should heal them for the duration of the status.

[Sourcery] Remove Source Point cost for Bless
Suggested Change: EDIT: Additional idea I just thought of: Characters under the effects of the Bless status effect bleed Bless when hit. That has a nice symmetry with void creatures bleeding Curse, and provides an incentive to use Bless on a person instead of a surface.

Last edited by Stabbey; 11/11/17 03:15 AM.
old hand
old hand
I think it sounds better if undead just can't be affected by decaying at all.

Characters under the effects of the Bless status effect bleed Bless when hit. That has a nice symmetry with void creatures bleeding Curse, and provides an incentive to use Bless on a person instead of a surface

Cool idea. I like it.

Last edited by Try2Handing; 10/11/17 04:54 PM.

J
apprentice
apprentice
J
I'm still struggling to understand why healing skills in the Hydrosophist magic school, where every other skill does magic damage and is resisted by magic armor, do physical damage to undead, thus rendering them suboptimal (for damage purposes) for a pure Hydrosophist. (Works great on Clerics, though!)

I'm new to the series, so maybe there's some reason I'm not aware of?

veteran
veteran
Because they have a lot of ideas but fail at grasping of the consequences of those ideas, because the splitting of armor ruins a lot of those things.

W
apprentice
apprentice
W
[quote=Endarire]
[Necromancy] Healing from Blood Sucker should work like Mosquito Swarm and Necro Passive
Why? - Right now, Mosquito Swarm and the healing from the passive ability both count as "neutral" healing, they always heal regardless whether the person is Undead or under Decaying Touch. Blood Sucker, is treated as positive healing, so it does harm those under Decaying Touch (and maybe Undead too). This is inconsistent behavior.
Suggested Change: Therefore - unless the blood is Cursed, of course - Blood Sucker should also be treated like Neutral healing (always works). Cursed blood should probably be treated as harmful regardless of Undead or Decaying status.

I agree with most of the things you say, but I disagree with this one.

Blood sucker + decaying touch is a damage combo for necromancer. It is supposed to work with other skills that create large blood pools (blood rain, bloated corpse, bleeding from mosquito swarm).

Necromancer suffers from the lack of damage option within its own school, taking away the above damage combo would make this school feels even worse.

I know, decay+regeneration is almost always a better and more consistent damage output, but with some number tweaks, Blood Sucker/Decay can give some nasty burst damage, compared to the pseudo DOT from Regen/Decay

Last edited by waterzxc; 11/11/17 01:28 AM.
Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by waterzxc
I agree with most of the things you say, but I disagree with this one.

Blood sucker + decaying touch is a damage combo for necromancer. It is supposed to work with other skills that create large blood pools (blood rain, bloated corpse, bleeding from mosquito swarm).

Necromancer suffers from the lack of damage option within its own school, taking away the above damage combo would make this school feels even worse.

I know, decay+regeneration is almost always a better and more consistent damage output, but with some number tweaks, Blood Sucker/Decay can give some nasty burst damage, compared to the pseudo DOT from Regen/Decay

Oh. Hmmm... I hadn't really considered that. I didn't explore the full Necromancy line, I only took it as a physical-damage supplement for my mages to use when their primary schools were ineffective.

So I guess I can cancel out my request for that change.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard