Next Thread
Print Thread
D
DeEz Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
Hello everyone! Recently I've been working on extending functionality to the GM mode, and I figured I'd show a little teaser of my current project.

Companions:

I know this was one of the many ideas people had for the GM mode, and so I've been hard at work figuring out how to bring it into the game mode.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Current functionality:
- Companions will automatically follow the player character they're attached to.
- Companions are controllable by the player.
- Companions will transfer scenes with the party as long as "Follow Party" is set by the GM.

There's a few quirks that I need to iron before I feel that it's release-ready. Currently they do not automatically transfer with the player party. This can be fixed by the GM enabling "Follow Party" in the context menu. I don't actually know how this works under the hood yet, whether it sets a flag or adds the character to some sort of DB, but I am trying to see if I can set this through Osiris.

Adding and removing companions works pretty well too. I tested briefly how many can be attached to a single character. I was expecting it to crash or throw some kind of error but it worked. If you wanted you could just keep adding companions until it gets silly (there's probably some software limit though).

Here's a couple of more screenshots from a previous test:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

How does it work?

Due to the limitations of UI editing, I had to find an easy way for the GM to be able to assign NPCs to the player on the fly. The way I'm going about this is by having a custom status effect (that does nothing) that the GM can apply through the status effect window, and then I use a story script that triggers on the CharacterStatusApplied event when the custom status effect is applied. This script then calls CharacterAddToPlayerCharacter to attach the character. It's a bit hacky but it works.

Character Reroll:

This is still very experimental, as I am mostly exploring what can and can't be done with story scripting.

Nevertheless, I have successfully been able to switch out the player's character:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I've not tested this extensively yet, but one of the more pressing issues is that the new character will also not automatically transfer scenes unless "Follow Party" is set beforehand by the GM. Other than that it seems to work straight out of the box.

If you have any questions or suggestions, fire away.

journeyman
journeyman
These look great! Can't wait to get my hands on the finished product.

Custom GM Mode Levels Mod Add-On (Steam)(Nexus)
enthusiast
enthusiast
deez iz really cool what you doing there. congrats and keep up creating these GM tools, the community is asking so much for.

W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
This is awesome.

enthusiast
enthusiast
That's pretty cool!
Would love the "reroll".

My GM Add-ons on Steam.
C
journeyman
journeyman
C
@Deez: Any news on your mod for followers in GM mode?

There are a few things I really would like added in GM mode:

1. Fog of War
2. Being able to select and move many NPCs at once.
3. Being able to set an NPC to follow the party when moving around in levels as well.
4. Easy way to give the party some companions.

Nice. I will use this if you can make it happen, so I hope all the best smile.

About the companion functionality, will the player be the one who controls the companion or the GM/the game?

journeyman
journeyman
I'd use this as well. I need a stable version of the mods I run however, seeing I only run GM mods and only a couple to avoid hell being unleashed upon the save file/files who wander off into the dark. Heh.

We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents. - Bob Ross
M
stranger
stranger
M
This is an amazing much needed mod. I've been gming for a while with divinity now, and having players just drop out after a few sessions has lead to some very annoying issues with continuing the campaign. The ability to re-roll PC's is something I've been looking for for quite a while. I'll be following this for sure.

As a side note, if this was coupled with the mod that allows more players to play in the game than just the original 4, (where you can have as many as 10, maybe more actual players in the game) do you think it would work in terms of giving the new companions (or re-rolled regular PCs?) to extra players?

I've been wanting to figure out a way to host a GM "war" game where we can have upwards of 8 players on a grand-scale battle map, to simulate a larger party battle that entails actual army battles.

Do you think your mod plus the add player mod would work together?

M
stranger
stranger
M
Hey DeEz!

I know this is a pretty old thread and I probably shouldn't keep my hopes up, but I couldn't find anyone else who was trying to implement the ability for us to assign NPCs to the party.

I just wanted to know if you're still working on this brilliant idea, or if it has been scratched?

Link Copied to Clipboard