Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
addict
OP Offline
addict
Updated. should be available on steam again. Nothing much, but dialogues should offer the proper options. Some tweaks to monsters.
Butchering and skinning added. Not as skills, but as ways to generate loot on critters.
Should be multiplayer.
Huge thanks for people that support and help hehe
I am always in the process of learning, and bettering my scripts and routines.
Next step:
an underground area filled with critters and dangers.
skinning, butchering, herbalism, prospecting skills and teachers added.
I would like to work on tweaking the resting system.
I have some plans for a custom crafting system, but need to make the very first verifications
I need also to learn more about corpse, because I can't get rid of them now, and they are filling the map pretty fast. And my butchering and skinning use an ondeath event, but it is not really satisfactory, I rather use an onUse on corpse. I need to dig into that also.
Cheers.

Last edited by Cromcrom; 11/10/17 09:16 PM.

Un chemin de 1000 lieues commence par un premier pas.

Project:
Steam workshop Frontiere
M
M
going to play tomorrow smile

old hand
old hand
Nice, welcome back. smile I'll give it another shot in the next couple of days when my itinerary clears a bit! Grats on the progress.

DOS2 Mods: Happily Emmie After and The Noisy Crypt

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
addict
OP Offline
addict
Updated.
Added a new area, full of rats.
added herbalism, prospection, skinning, butchering skills and their effects.
Added some stuff to maps, although this is not my "field of expertise", scripting takes so much time.
Improved some scripts.

Project:
Steam workshop Frontiere
addict
OP Offline
addict
Added custom resting system:
use camp items will create a camp (actually, a frontière sleeping bag) in 3 qualities: poor, normal, excellent, depending on a survival skill roll.
those camps will last a few seconds, and allow more recovery if better.
camp items have 15 uses.
You will have to wait for 2 minutes before setting another camp.
Will make it in next "big" update.

Project:
I am thinking about adding a custom crafting system.
Right off my brain, I would use some special containers:
add in some items, and when the container closes, create the new item, depending on proper crafting skill.
PROS:
should be quite easy to script. (gasp !) and very open ended. Add a recipe, some recipe modifiers, some ingredients, and recover item, leftovers, and so on...Depending on crafting skill.
Hello charred food from novice cook hehe
CONS:
Need some kind of workbench for all recipes.
Recipes would be separate knowledge, that would take some room.

my first fast reading of apis and functions indicate this should be feasible.
Maybe use a convo at some point, but I really hate convos so far, enven though Tinkerer made a great description of dialogues in the wiki. But I need more info about script flags. Right now, they are usefull, but not very user friendly.

Cheers.

Project:
Steam workshop Frontiere
addict
OP Offline
addict
Some great day today, as I managed to code a quite complex system (fishing), with dialog inclusion, and back and forth between osiris and script
What it does:
You get a warning when entering a "proper fishing spot"
There, you can use a fishing rod (custom frontiere item)
You need worms to fish.
You can find worms on the beach, within thick welps,
or using a shovel in some areas (to do).
Once in the proper spot:
use the rod.
after some time, a fish will bite. you then have a few seconds to use the rod again.
Then, 5 possible results:
critical failure: damage the rod, lose worm, gain XP
failure: lose worm, gain small XP
partial success: either lose the worm and gain XP, or gain fish and damage rod slightly, through convo choices (thanks Tinkerer smile )
success: gain fish
critical success: gain fish, keep worm.

Depending on fishing skill level.

TO DO before next update:
add the fishing master and a quest and environment. The small colony is growing bigger by the day hehe
add gathering worms system.

I would like to further refine my rest system, through the use of status, although I haven't started looking into this yet.
And keep looking into that custom skill based crafting system.
Chers hehe

Project:
Steam workshop Frontiere
M
M
wow - will try tomorrw and give feedback!

addict
OP Offline
addict
This is not updated yet, I want to flesh out things a little. Will probably upload tomorrow.
Cheers.

Project:
Steam workshop Frontiere
addict
OP Offline
addict
Credits for this update:
mostly
Ghatt
Windemere. I learn an incredible lot of things about osiris and dialogs thanks to you Noisy Crypt Mod. Thank you so much hehe
Tinkerer
Me. Shit I deserve it smile
and some others. Thanks everybody hehe

Updated today:
Added fishing skill
added fishing: use fishing rod in fishing spot. wait for the fish to bite, and use the rod again. make sure you have worms. worms can be bought, or gathered from under thick welps.
added fisherman and its quest.

TODO:
now that more and more people are arriving in fort hope, focus on the inn, and rest/stress system. what I envision:
as time passes, player will gain a tired, and exhausted status. he will have to rest to remove these status.
resting will be done in the wild, thanks to a camp, and depending on survival skill, or in beds in the inn.
According to the room quality (from poor to lordly), he will gain a "well rested" or "perfectly rested" status for varying time.
camping in the wild could provide the "shitty night" negative status, like when you wake up tired and aching from a night in the wild, and you survival skill is terrible... However, a master survivalist could provide a well rested night in the wild, too hehe

Stress: should be harder to code, but if a player lose more than 1/2 of its HP in a fight, he would gain the "stressed" status for some time. Not on my prority.

some more quests, as I am learning the system, so it should make it easier and easier to add new quests. I need to use this big wolf, and big rats in the mines.

Improve the fishing system:
add more fish variety
make fishing a mini game:
the player starts fishing.
a fish would take the bait.
then
various "tension" levels:
"low tension", to "incredibly strong tension"
they would defile quite fast (like one level per second), usually going up. beyond Incredible tension, the rod could be severely damaged, and the fishing ending automatically.
BUT the more the tension, the more chance to catch the fish, depending on you fishing skill level.
SO fishing will be a choice: do you pull now, while the tension is weak, but with small chance to catch a fish, or do you wait to have better chance to get the fish, but also damage the rod... hehe

Last edited by Cromcrom; 19/10/17 06:34 PM.

Project:
Steam workshop Frontiere
apprentice
apprentice
Wow, that's amazing, i've just read about this and i already want to test it. :p

Ummm... Hi?
addict
OP Offline
addict
Modified fishing to make it a mini game.
Low tension: low chance to catch a fish, but low chance of a critical failure that will damage the fishing rod.
Incredible tension: higher chance to catch the fish, but also of a critical failure.
Pull at the right moment !

Modified rest.
You can rest in camps (that have a limited lifespan), ot buy bed keys to rest in inn. Resting could provide some specific status. The more you wait without sleeping, the more tired you will be. You can also become exhausted.

Added 2 quests.

Project:
Steam workshop Frontiere
addict
OP Offline
addict
Updated. Not thoroughly tested, might be some remaining bugs.
Added scavenging, wood cutting.
Wood cutting is pretty self explanatory. Scavenging will give the player the opportunity to recover a little gold when searching a humanoid corpse.
Added rat bounties.
First appearance of saskatwan tribe hunters. The saskatwans are a hostile tribe of natives. They are met in the woods near fort hope, as they seem to be coming back to these giboyous hunting grounds. Interactions with this tribe is really limited now, mostly trading arrows and blows. This tribes wherabouts are unknown now.
Added iron ore in the rat cave.
The prospector is turning into a smithy, and gathered a few crafting stations.
Added interactable trees.
Improved resting script.

On an internal, scripting part, I layed the foundations for specific items use and qualities when interacting with items, like a good woodchopping axe will give bonus when woodcutting. Not added yet.

Next big step will be custom crafting system, taking skills into account, and various types of results.
Then, most systems will be in place, I will be able to expand the world and quests.

Cheers.

Last edited by Cromcrom; 28/10/17 04:47 PM.

Project:
Steam workshop Frontiere
addict
OP Offline
addict
Just to let my "fan club" know that I have the proper basis for the custom crafting system.
Just 2 ingredients now, easy to add more.
I want to have as much as 5 ingredients, and gold as a 6th.

I am right now focusing on adding variables:
crafter skill level, recipe difficulty and knowledge, workstation quality, tools quality.

Next, I want to have a proper recap for the recipe, just before crafting, possibly some proper feedback.

I will then add recipe summary to the journal.

Results will range from critical failure (possibly harming the crafter, destroying the tools, definitely destroying the ingredients, applying the "stressed from critical failure" status to the crafter...), to failure (destroying the ingredients, not doing the final product, or a bad version of it, having fewer byproducts), partial success (crafting a poor or terrible version of the item, some byproducts), to success and critical success (better items, more byproducts, maybe even remaining ingredients...)

In this prospect, I need to learn how Larians randomized items system works, because this is definitely a must, especially in case of critical success.
I imagine a master crafter would have a little chance to create a really powerful item.

Cheers.

Project:
Steam workshop Frontiere
addict
OP Offline
addict
Updated.
Prospector bounty should be fixed.
Added skill based crafting. Only 2 recipes now: make a wood stick from a branch, and some wood mulch from branch.
Changed resting a bit. Lying on the bed was provoking some inconsistencies. I removed this animation, resting is now much less immersive, but much fiable system wise.

Small update, I don't know if I will keep modding for too long now. Aww well, I have always been an impatient attention whore ^^

Cheers, modders smile

Project:
Steam workshop Frontiere
journeyman
journeyman
Well, I dread the day I'll start to grind coding. I'm sure it's not that difficult once you get into it, but I never even looked at code in detail. Easier to create areas without it, and I'll survive I think for awhile longer. Haha.

We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents. - Bob Ross
addict
OP Offline
addict
Why I stopped Modding D:OS2.
1/ Toolset difficulties: although this current toolset is a major improvement compared to DOS1, there are still some stuff that I couldn't get. I tried hard, oh my god did I try. The final blow for my modding efforts was trying to have a attribute check on a convo node. Fed up with having to reverse engineer the native files, or having to ask the great community for tips about such basic thing. The tools are great and incredibly powerful, but some little details just don't make it for an average coder like me.
2/ Some devs preferences for some mods. Asome mods received total enthusiast support from the devs. So, with my not glamorous, hard working system heavy mod, it feels unfair. I do believe that devs should be more cautious about expressing their preferences in the modding community.
3/ Lack of community support. I can really understand that people want to play with finished products, but as I said some times ago, some feedback, and a little enthusiasm, are the main modder's fuel.

I wish all of you fellow modders the best of luck and perseverance in your projects.

Cheers.

Project:
Steam workshop Frontiere
enthusiast
enthusiast
That's too bad.
Your project seems very interesting.
But taking a break every now and then is the smart thing to do.

My GM Add-ons on Steam.
enthusiast
enthusiast
A pity but also understandable. Hope to see you back at some time.
I personally also on sleep mode doing any modding or mapping. Never started something ambitious like is anyway. I really think beside some updates and support by Larian it is time to team up for the community. For now there are too many lone wolves. Having more co-op modding with shared goals and tasks could help finishing more ambitious projects as involving modding artists from outside the DOS universe.

Cheers

old hand
old hand
Sorry to hear it Cromcrom, it was encouraging to see you making good progress. In the end of the day I think modding has to be something you enjoy in and of itself and not just for the end results. There are too many reasons to want to quit along the way. Hopefully you can re-kindle an enthusiasm for it again at some point. Your mod helped inspire me with some similar ideas and had some interesting concepts.

DOS2 Mods: Happily Emmie After and The Noisy Crypt

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
R
apprentice
apprentice
R
Everyone needs a break every once in a while. Maybe you'll decide to pick up the project again. You put a lot of effort into these mods, and your progress did help me out along the way with some of my projects. Thanks, and my (unsolicited) 2 cents is that incremental progress is still progress. Roadblocks come and go, some get frustrating, then are overcome, then repeat. Learning how to overcome a roadblock, even without anything to show for your time and effort, is still progress. If it were not, some fields of science would be stuck in the dark ages.

I do agree with morez; co-op projects would be interesting, but a double edged sword. There's a ye-olde saying in the industry: What can be accomplished by 1 programmer in 1 month can be accomplished by 2 programmers in 2 months. I am all for it, at least personally when thinking about the sheer scope of some of these campaigns I want to make.

Take care Cromcrom, and good luck to you, mate. Hope to see you modding some more soon

Projects: Tomb of Horrors: Tomb of Horrors
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard