Next Thread
Print Thread
#638159 01/12/17 09:31 PM
B
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
I've only been tooling around with the editor for a few weeks, so this is my first crack at a serious mod.

I started recreating the first area of the game Morrowind, the town of Seyda Neen. Since the two games are different in many ways, it's going to be more of an approximate recreation than an authentic one, but I've been happy with what I've been able to do so far. Down the road I'd like to import models from Morrowind mods that wouldn't infringe on copyright, but for the time being I'm just laying everything out.

I have no idea where this will go in the long term. It has the potential to be one of those ridiculously ambitious projects that never gets finished, so I'm going to handle it in small chunks. The first chunk is Seyda Neen, followed by surrounding areas of the Bitter Coast. That much I know I can handle.

It's probably a bit early to show this off, but I mainly wanted to snag the "Morrowinity" title before anyone else got to it. evil

Anyway, here are some screenshots:

I used Celludriel's awesome heightmap tool to get this map of Vvardenfell into the game. Seyda Neen is in the upper right:
[Linked Image]

A closer inspection. This is just a practice layout:
[Linked Image]

A room from the Census Office, the first building:
[Linked Image]

Arrille's Tradehouse, a shop and tavern:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

M
M
Haha straight down memory lane. Remember to place the tree trunk with that nice magical sword, or was it an axe, in it, next to the lighthouse.

Gonna be interesting to see how this develops.

Last edited by MAHak; 01/12/17 11:37 PM.
veteran
veteran
Cool stuff. Come to think of it, I think Morrowind was the first rpg type game I properly noticed and enjoyed. Keep us updated! smile

B
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
Except for NPCs, the town is most of the way done:

[Linked Image]

I'm also making good progress on local dungeons including Addamasartus:

[Linked Image]

Still a lot to do before it's playable. I was hoping to make a Christmas release, but it might be delayed a week or so. Making houses made me underestimate how long it would take to make caves.

Originally, I wanted to recreate dialogue, quests, and books, but I'm thinking about holding off on those until I'm sure it wouldn't be copyright infringement. If anyone happens to know more about this, I'd like to hear your take. I know everything exists in plain text online, but combined with a playable game it might be a "more than the sum of its parts" type thing.

Looks interesting smile. It's been many years since I set foot on Morrowing, and as I remember it, it was pretty barren, but wasn't there just a bit more vegetation than some big trees? Maybe the picture is just too small for me to see smile. Do you know you have an instance painter that can make you life easy when making grass and such?

Could you show off more of the dungeon, maybe with a little more light, so we can see more. I'm just curious and I think you hit the lightning right in the picture.

B
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
There's a few ferns and mushrooms in there, but they're too small to show up. The base game is pretty barren:

[Linked Image]

One of the dilemmas I'm facing is whether or not to deviate from a purely authentic recreation (e.g. adding appropriate props from divinity when they fit the atmosphere). Right now I'm leaning in that direction, so I probably will add some grass. I've used the instance painter a little bit.

I'll show some more of the dungeon when I get home.

Last edited by Bugsby Bearkeley; 11/12/17 07:20 PM.
I would go for more to be honest smile. I belive that the lack of more then, was mainly because you could not. If you look at pictures for EOS (elder scolls online), you will see something different from Morrowing.

But I understand you point 100%. I love to recreate stuff too (as I dont have that good an imagination apprently), and it's always a balance.

A very interesting project I must say. But a very big one wink. Best of luck. I will be following the progress smile.

B
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
It's been about a month so here's an update.

I realized I couldn't generate AI for the size of the area I wanted to make. I was also grappling with scale of the map - too small and the buildings would look weird, too big and it would take forever to get around. So long story short, I decided to work on the area of Solstheim until I could figure out how things should work on the mainland. It's still mammoth but at least AI works without carving it up.

Here's an overview. Don't worry, it's supposed to be rough.

[Linked Image]

The interiors are mostly complete:

[Linked Image]

Right now I'm looking for snowy rocks and trees for the instance painter.

Any kind of release is a ways off I think. But if anyone is interested in helping with the project, I'd be open to it.

Last edited by Bugsby Bearkeley; 13/01/18 05:55 PM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Wow, that is really quite impressive!

Originally Posted by Bugsby Bearkeley
I'm also making good progress on local dungeons including Addamasartus:

Oh, bloody Addamasartus: I remember being completely new to Morrowind and decided as a level 1 veteran I would go in there and pwn everyone. It, er, did not go as I anticipated and I went away and sulked for weeks. biggrin

With regard to vegetation, go overboard, I say: I think Morrowind's bleakness was more due to the limitations of the time rather than necessarily being a stylistic thing and the first thing I do whenever I install it is to add a boatload of engreenification to it.

J'aime le fromage.
B
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
That's what I'm thinking. In fact, you might recognize some of the engreenification I'm putting in. Vurt's letting me use his trees:

[Linked Image]

B
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
I abandoned this a year ago, but still have the files. I don't even know if it works with DE, but if anyone wants to take charge of this let me know.

Link Copied to Clipboard