Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Longest period ever without an update. Can we expect the next one to be massive?

C
journeyman
journeyman
C
Most likely yes.

That being said, I'm still disappointed with Larians post-launch approach to communication with its players. By now, I think that most of us have realized that DOS:2 is a gem in the rough, that still needs a lot of work even on core mechanics, but has the potential to be a great game. It would have been nice if they would recognize this publicly, and keep us informed of where the game is headed. The amount of time it takes for one employee to gather feedback from the designers and make a post about what's roughly going on, has to be diminutive compared to the value it adds to its loyal fans.

I often see this trend of "radiosilence until able to confirm/deny", a pitfall that unanimously seems to give backlash. It seems to me that a lot of companies withhold information until they are confident that it is correct, thinking that the playerbase want specificity, when in reality all they want is recognition of complaints, and reassurance of upcoming change, even at the cost of specificity.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Cavemandiary
Most likely yes.

That being said, I'm still disappointed with Larians post-launch approach to communication with its players. By now, I think that most of us have realized that DOS:2 is a gem in the rough, that still needs a lot of work even on core mechanics, but has the potential to be a great game. It would have been nice if they would recognize this publicly, and keep us informed of where the game is headed. The amount of time it takes for one employee to gather feedback from the designers and make a post about what's roughly going on, has to be diminutive compared to the value it adds to its loyal fans.

I often see this trend of "radiosilence until able to confirm/deny", a pitfall that unanimously seems to give backlash. It seems to me that a lot of companies withhold information until they are confident that it is correct, thinking that the playerbase want specificity, when in reality all they want is recognition of complaints, and reassurance of upcoming change, even at the cost of specificity.

Few people can be more disappointed than I am, I got promised features that in the end were not delivered, and this was told me in quite a rude way as well.

Nevertheless, they sold 1 million copies: they have the resources to address at least half of our concerns. I mean, if NEVERWINTER NIGHTS is getting an Enhanced Edition after more than 10 years by the quasi-defunct Bioware, I am sure Larian can pull this off for this very fun game.

C
journeyman
journeyman
C
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
Originally Posted by Cavemandiary
Most likely yes.

Few people can be more disappointed than I am, I got promised features that in the end were not delivered, and this was told me in quite a rude way as well.

Nevertheless, they sold 1 million copies: they have the resources to address at least half of our concerns. I mean, if NEVERWINTER NIGHTS is getting an Enhanced Edition after more than 10 years by the quasi-defunct Bioware, I am sure Larian can pull this off for this very fun game.

Quasi defunct? I know that several high-profile people have left the company this and the previous year, but this is news to me. Hyperbole I guess?

In any case, Bioware is (to the best of my knowledge) a much larger company, so I don't think the comparison is all that pertinent.

If anything, I think that Larian is much, much more likely to do fan-service with no strings attached, as Larian demonstrated when they released the DOS1:EE free of charge, even though the original was more than most people bargained for. Bioware on the other hand, doesn't do that. It's all cost-benefit and revenue, and "for free" essentially means "part of a branding or marketing strategy". I still like their games though.

In fact, Larians approach to DOS1:EE is the reason I'm constantly giving them the benefit of the doubt, and why I keep supporting them in lieu of others.

It's just a matter of time before we see some official announcement. But Larian still needs to work on their ability to communicate more openly with their fans...

Last edited by Cavemandiary; 01/12/17 12:49 PM.
A
apprentice
apprentice
A
I am wondering this aswell. This is a great game but the silence from Larian Studios is deafening. May we please get just a small acknowledgement that you have not abandoned the game and your focus is still on this game? no specifics is needed... just a response.

veteran
veteran
They've confirmed several fixes for next patch, and at least one thing that most likely won't be fixed in time for next patch, suggesting intention of more than one patch more in the future, so I'd say not to worry too much.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Originally Posted by Amarillien
I am wondering this aswell. This is a great game but the silence from Larian Studios is deafening. May we please get just a small acknowledgement that you have not abandoned the game and your focus is still on this game? no specifics is needed... just a response.

Of course they haven't abandoned the game. DOS2 was just officially released several months ago. Have faith young sourcerer. Xmas

Last edited by Alulim; 01/12/17 09:07 PM.
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Alulim
Originally Posted by Amarillien

Of course they haven't abandoned the game. DOS2 was just officially released several months ago. Have faith young sourcerer. Xmas

No one was suggesting that.

Bioware is quasi-defunct due to the MEA debacle. If Anthem fails...

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert

I actually liked Andromeda and I think it was a remarkably competent game considering Bioware themselves seemed to not take its development or release very seriously. I guess it was always going to be shot down but it's a shame they gave up on it so easily.

I think the writing was on the wall after the ME3 débâcle though, but it's just what EA does to its acquisitions.

J'aime le fromage.
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by vometia

I actually liked Andromeda and I think it was a remarkably competent game considering Bioware themselves seemed to not take its development or release very seriously. I guess it was always going to be shot down but it's a shame they gave up on it so easily.

I think the writing was on the wall after the ME3 débâcle though, but it's just what EA does to its acquisitions.

I'm just reporting news, haven't really played Andromeda.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I'm just reporting news, haven't really played Andromeda.

Yeah, it's one of those things where the general perception seems to be out of step with people's experience of playing it. I wouldn't describe it as a particularly memorable game and it would've benefited from a bit of attention from its more experienced staff, but it was okay. I think the worry is the way they'd apparently given up on it before it even went to market, which doesn't bode well for the future of Bioware.

J'aime le fromage.
E
E
Companies don't exist in the real world, it's just a name we've given to a group of people. I'd venture to say that none of the original team who worked on the classic Bioware gems is there anymore. The Bioware of today is undeserving of the fame and renown of the past.

Last edited by Evangeline; 02/12/17 02:24 PM.

Hear ye, hear ye! Bishop Alexander was slain by seagulls! Culprits still at large!
enthusiast
enthusiast
Bioware has nothing to do with the Enhanced Edition it is developed by Beamdog.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/704450/Neverwinter_Nights_Enhanced_Edition/

Bioware is an EA Company and NN was owned by Atari, so they could not make it even if they wanted to.

Last edited by Hawke; 02/12/17 03:06 PM.
E
E
I think the way Larian is handling things is quite good though. Recognising issues or showing eagerness in fixing bugs can hurt sales. Even something small like pushing out patches too often can make a potential buyer think "hey this thing is a bit buggy".

And it's more than that, it has to do with how our tribal monkey brains work. It's the reason why a girl will usually turn you down if you show too much interest, if you play it cool you have much better chances. It has to do with perceived weakness. By maintaining a bit of silence and pushing patches less often, you get to seem like you have a better handle on things. Hope you get what I mean, I don't even know what I mean lol

Although maybe a change in direction is needed, now that 1 million people are playing the game. A month between patches is a bit long, you can finish the game in that time. Smaller patches may be better, I don't want to finish the game before the big bugs (related to ending etc.) are patched. And they can show their existing, already massive userbase that they are still on it, if the infidels lack faith smile

Hear ye, hear ye! Bishop Alexander was slain by seagulls! Culprits still at large!
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Hawke
Bioware has nothing to do with the Enhanced Edition it is developed by Beamdog.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/704450/Neverwinter_Nights_Enhanced_Edition/

Bioware is an EA Company and NN was owned by Atari, so they could not make it even if they wanted to.

I am well aware.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Personally, these long waits between patches feel really painful as a modder, as the editor patches seem to be delayed by the game patches. This is a problem when a new patch introduces a bug that crashes the editor or makes a tool unable to work properly.

I'm still hopeful that editor hotfixes will eventually become a thing.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Any news, Larian?

veteran
veteran
I have to second LaughingLeader - I wish they'd release patches for the game and editor separately, as we're stuck with several rather nasty tool dysfunctions which were confirmed fixed many, many weeks ago.

I'd also wish paint brush / instance brush settings were saved between uses... 😏

journeyman
journeyman
What I'm about to say is so true that it hurts. These guys from this company, have said and done more for their player base, in the short amount of time that their newest game has been out, than Bethesda has ever said or done for their playerbase with Skyrim in the last 6 years.....

These people have/is writing guides, maintaining a wiki, they have come into threads and actually TALKED AT LENGTH with people here... I wish as a TES fan that I had that with Bethesda.

You all really have it made and I beg of you all to be a lot more patient with them.

Last edited by Rasikko; 04/12/17 09:31 PM.
V
stranger
stranger
V
Originally Posted by The Composer
I wish they'd release patches for the game and editor separately, as we're stuck with several rather nasty tool dysfunctions which were confirmed fixed many, many weeks ago.

THIS. I've been desperately waiting for a patch to fix the nasty Win10 Creator's Update cursor bug.

I'm basically unable to use the editor in any productive sense right now, and I was having a ton of fun and making a lot of progress! I was even planning to make some tutorials on specific things and contribute to the wiki as I experimented, but now I can't.

Last edited by vometia; 05/12/17 01:36 AM. Reason: formatting
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard