D
Detect Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hello All,

~I'M back~............

About 10 years ago I created a little persistent world called
“Five Realms” and the very popular “Aurea” then “The Autumn People”

These were persistent worlds using the Arora tools set (NWN, NWN 2).

These were highly scripted worlds. Is OS2 a NWN killer? from my first few hours poking about in the editor I don't think so. BUT. I do think I can create some interesting adventures.

Lots of things to understand/test and implement.

I was able to get a map up and running very quickly and already added in some scripts I need in the story editor.

Looks like off the bat we need a death script... I don't like the default death, just pops a UI and you have to reload. I would like to move the player to a new map, stipe them of some gear and gold and then move them back after a cool down time. I think most of us would like some type of template for this. I am just starting to learn the scripting language.. so the journey begins..

anyone working on a death systems script template ?

Last edited by Detect; 20/12/17 04:35 PM.
D
Detect Offline OP
OP Offline
D
may have logged this in the wrong thread...

D
Detect Offline OP
OP Offline
D
best practises question...very high level

do we just add a trigger and bounds to infinity? trigger watching for If dummy is dead? fires deathscript?

anyone tested this?

death script

IF player dead move to xyz add journal entry

THEN heal full or resurrection.. (not sure how that works yet)

AND wait 60 sec, remove 25% of gold

THEN move to XYZ location add journal entry clean up...

ideas?

D
Detect Offline OP
OP Offline
D
problems.

1. will the original script for death interrupt or conflict? How to comment that out?
2. How will a event of group death function? Will all be moved or just that dummy? script needs IQ to know about more than one death and how to manage, I suspect.

I think this would work best as a NPC conversation. You die, and get teleported to the death NPC level and you start a conversation about death...during the conversation will action the removal of the 25% gold and the last line of conversation will move the player back to life...

not to complicated right?

as always, will update with these solutions once I find them.

cheers!

PS why care what happens when your character is dead? Just reload... well, its to do with the feel of the mod I want to create. I want to keep it free flowing. I want an MMO feel to my single/co-op adventure...

Last edited by Detect; 20/12/17 06:04 PM.
addict
addict
Hi detect. As a former NWN2 "PW" creator (mine was "frontiere"), I tried hard to create the basic of a "PW" (coop 4 player....) in DOS2 toolset.
Despite the huge possibilities of the DOS2 toolset, I do believe that it is fine as long as you keep to the tools (mapping, tweaking some stuff, and creating stories). The scripting is a nightmare, at least compared to NWN2. The dialog editor is terrible, as far as conditions and effects are concerned.

However, here, you are supposed to talk about your project, not issues you have with it. Go ask your things on the scripting subforum might work better.

I am sorry I can't help you on your issues, I gave up after a long fought battle when I wanted a dialoger to die at the end of a dialog, didn't have the courage to go through a whole reverse engeneering process to try to figure out how to do this.

However, the community is really great, and the devs very helpfull.

I wish you the very very best with your mod.

Cheers.

PS: still dreaming of the worthy successor of my dearest Aurora...

Last edited by Cromcrom; 20/12/17 07:48 PM.

Un chemin de 1000 lieues commence par un premier pas.

Project:
Steam workshop Frontiere
D
Detect Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
As a POC I decided to challenge some of the big questions to establish what can be accomplished.

Very easy to get ahead of ones self with grand ideas.

So, as a proof of concept. Created an area, set up the story and character creation scripts. fixed the faction problem. Thanks Windmere.

Build out the area a little more and added a ladder, to transition to a lower level. Thought I would have a navigation problem within the editor because I'm so new, but was able to bumble along and now have a working ladder transition.

Next will be conversations and shops/traders. I suspect a further learning curve. But after other editors and all the others before it, their not that much different... G.E.A.K and Arora tool set included.

I need to bight off the right amount to chew. This toolset can do a lot, but has limitations inherently by design.

This is not a persistent world creation tool, as much as we would like it to be. I think best- is nice medium to large adventures, and link them together... "modules" connected together to make a campaign.

Last edited by Detect; 22/12/17 04:06 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard