Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
OP Offline
A
(no offense meant, I just need to get this out of my system, because if I don't I am gonna be grumpy the whole day again, like so far everyday I have touched this time … which if I think about does not sound like a good game experience at all)

Lonewolf in coop? Yeah, about that, we screwed this up.

One guy recruits and distributes the companions? Yeah, about that … I am afraid whoever recruits a character is the only one he will talk too about his quests, but ONLY if he is assigned to you. So you have to get into the party management and reassign characters.

Following someone around the map? Doesn't work either, because everyone despawns after he walk he few meters out of sight, like when you dismiss him to have your multiplayer partner re-recruite the guy … because having the guy assigned to the "wrong" avatar leads to quests not working at all.

And now let me get started ranting about flying sparks with oil, steam, water, etc because the graphics don't match the hitboxes at all and you can set ablaze impressive chain reactions of stuff that was just not connected to each other ... apparently invisible sparkles fly around if stuff is just a meter or two away from each other and ignites everything. So fucking annoying.

Now, after washing out my mouth with this rant... let's drink some more of your game. I have the feeling I will return to get rid of that taste again. ;-)

Debug_Client_Profile_1 is logging out.

Last edited by Apocalypse; 12/03/18 11:08 AM.
old hand
old hand
To your coop problems I cannot say anything cause I don't play it and care about it. Maybe other can.

While I'm not a big friend of the "surface game", your complaints about the graphics and chain reactions are exaggarated. Don't stand on surfaces, use skills to make you immune or get rid of them. And use it to your favour. The worst for me was the protection quest near the Blackpits and it was manageable. And yes, sparks can be distributed very easily by air, ask firefighters about it.

Last edited by geala; 14/03/18 07:51 AM.
veteran
veteran
Lone Wolf is broken trait, therefore no NPCs at all are allowed I think.

Playing Lone Wolf and then getting companion from your friend would also kind of defy the purpose from your trait.

Y
Y
What is this post about?...

Perhaps it's trollish of me to say it, but I don't understand a thing.

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Kalrakh
Lone Wolf is broken trait, therefore no NPCs at all are allowed I think.

Playing Lone Wolf and then getting companion from your friend would also kind of defy the purpose from your trait.

Nope, works just fine on companions, as long as it's just two guys in the group you get the lonewolf bonus. Which makes it basically a talent which you should take twice or not at all … at least from an efficiency perspective. Running currently my single player run with two lonewolfs, Sibbil and Ifan, great pairing and great theme with them both running lonewolf.

Lonewolf is supposed to make a single character as strong as two ... not as strong as three. So theoretical having two avatars, one with lone wolf and the other with an companion instead should fit the purpose. Now from a balancing standpoint you might be right. Lonewolf might be indeed a little bit on the strong side and instead makes you worth 3 characters, but in that case having a party of two lonewolfs defeats the purpose even more, because you get a party of two, worth 6 characters. Instead of limiting the party to two. The talent's implementations seems overall not polished at all. The implementation of Lonewolf takes efficient choices away from the player, not only because it is rather strong, but as well because it can cause a conflict of interest in multiplayer when one player wants to take it and the other does not. Meanwhile in DOS1 the talent was on the strong side as well, but at least worked fine in a coop run without causing any trouble.

TLDR: You stand corrected. ;-)

@geala I loved the surface game in DOS1, it just seems that the UI and controls are actually worse in DOS2 to play with them. Well, that and the good old barrel game is not nearly as fun as it used to be. Heavily reduced in damage.

@Yasen Never mind, I was just ranting to get my frustration out of my system. Worked btw fine, even when I can write one rant after each play session. Larian seemed to have run out of money or time, the game is definitely not as polished as the first one, but it seems a lot bigger, which might explain the lack of attention to detail. A shame, because that attention to detail was what I felt in love with during playing Divinity: Original Sin.

veteran
veteran
No, I stand not corrected. You were writing about taking Lone Wolf for yourself and letting your coop-partner recruit NPCs and afterswards give them to you, and that they would refuse to talk with you that way.

If there are two players in game: no NPCs.

The broken was not refering to the no NPC stuff, but to the fact that lone wolf is brokenly strong. Was not that well written I suppose.

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Kalrakh
No, I stand not corrected. You were writing about taking Lone Wolf for yourself and letting your coop-partner recruit NPCs and afterswards give them to you, …

Was not so well read nor well written either, because I was not talking about that at all. I merely miss the option from Original Sin to have my coop partner recruit one companion for herself, while I am taking lonewolf instead of a companion.
Furthermore as I said, taking the lonewolf on companions works perfectly fine. Assuming that I wanted to exploit the system is … disheartening, give your fellow gamer's the benefit of a doubt of not being completely trying to abuse the system even when they rant in anger and frustration ;-)

The part about recruiting and distributing companions was a new paragraph and new issue, because companions can only progress their storyline when talking to the avatar who recruits them, but they can not talk to the guy who recruited them either IF they are assigned to another Avatar. That's a pure interface nuisance. And it gets worse, because their quests will not trigger either when "loaned" to another Avatar, meaning you might not even notice that there is a problem, just because one player did the recruiting.

Lastly, as I said, the balance issues about Lonewolf are irrelevant to the trouble of that design decision in multiplayer. D:OS handled this way smarter imho. Reducing the maximum companions by one. It even fits the theme of Lonewolf as the lone wolf character simply drives people away by being a bit of loner and being unrelatable.

veteran
veteran
Though I'm not the only one who could not really follow you incoherent rant...

How ever D:OS made many things smarter, but that is another and probably overdiscussed topic. In summary they put in half baked new stuff, kept flawed old stuff and made somethings even worse. But that is in the end 'only' my opinion.

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard