Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Y
YOGZULA Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Y
I loved Divinity OS, and I like 2 a lot, but the new armor system is just so bad that you either run a full party of magic or a full party of physical and it just feels bad. I like running more balanced party comps and the armor system as it is now just punishes doing that far too much.

I pre-ordered, but I only played a bit at launch. Has armor changed at all? Has there been talk of any reworks for the way armor works at all? I've been thinking about starting a new playthrough and the idea of doing an all-physical or all-magic comp takes some of the wind out of my sails.

I know I can run a balanced comp, but if it's not optimal and I know it's not optimal it's going to bother me. I prefer playing games at their highest difficulties and optimizing my play and using all of the tools available to me to overcome the challenge, I don't like imposing handicaps on myself to create my own challenge. I just figured I'd say that now since I saw that "you can beat the game with a balanced comp" response already on the way.

journeyman
journeyman
No. Not from Larian anyways. Nothing's changed, nothing has been announced or even talked about. I fully agree though which is why I'm working on a mod to fix that among many other things.

veteran
veteran
Sadly some people don't get the difference between 'being able to do something' and 'having fun while doing so'. There is so much cheese possibility in this game, that pretty much everything is possible and the second part is always something subjective.

I never liked the new armor system, because it a) the counterdicts the core selling point of D:OS "being able to mix all classes as much as you please" and b) in the end it makes perma-cc even a bigger issue, so opposite of what it should achieve.

The only thing that is currently in the pipes seems to be an overhaul of the inventory-system. Something that is biggly needed though not the biggest issue anyway. So we don't even know if Larian acknowledges the issues with the armor system, so much praise as they get with all those awards. I just know, I won't support a third kickstarter campaign because for me and my friends D:OS2 is a huge letdown in many aspects.

Y
YOGZULA Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Y
I think OS:2 has a ton of huge improvements. There were only a few notable things that I really didn't like.

1) The new armor system is ass, as was the reason I made this post.
2) Too many new status effects and emphasis on environmental manipulation. The whole battlefield just turns into an absolute mess way too quickly now. Another reason to just run an all mage party aside from the armor issue.
3) Death fog barrels. Delete all of them.

O
stranger
stranger
O
This,the armor system, among others like the weird initiative system, are the two that make DOS2 second to all those true classics in my mind.

Please Larian, if there's an enhanced edition:
=============================
1.Fix the armor system.
2.Make hybrid professions something effective to play(eg battle mage(physical/magic)......)
3.I am sure you can do something to the Wit stat and fix the weird init sequence mechanism and still provide a challenging game.

Love.

veteran
veteran
Sadly not only the armor system ruins the hybrids, attributes do the same. They got so dumbed down, that they give no longer secondary benefits. Not to mention that leveling attributes in general got pretty pointless. Character progression overall got reworked into a empty shell. Your option at every level ups are: more damage, more damage, more damage, more life, more skills or more damage via crit (thanks to round robin initiative can be pretty much ignored). Also the biggest damage boost you probably get anyway because of the level scaling and not because of the attributes themselves.

And skill trees themselves do not longer encourage investment. Summoner is the only skill tree that offers some great, if you put 10 points into it, all other skill trees are kind of the same fruit in different colors. Also there are those two go always skill trees: warfare because it boost all physical damage best and polymorph because getting extra intelligence helps you best with magic.

The armor system and the civil attributes need a rework. I might be alone in this opinion, but I felt like all the civils with the exception of persuade were completely useless.

M
stranger
stranger
M
Every time I try to come back to this game I delete it from my machine. I also cannot bring myself to enjoy it. I want to because the game has some really good things going for it. It's pretty, has good sound, love the story and the companions.

The driving factor is the armor system. Every time. It doesn't welcome hybrids. Why is the game like this? In the end I'm around level 10 and hating the game for what it is. Why I started with an idea and ended with a carbon copy of what everyone does to beat this game bugs me. And I know how I end up there every time. It's because my idea of class fantasy sucks in this game and for me that's a deal breaker.

One thing that I think would be cool, and could be an answer to the hybrid issue, is the addition of ethereal weapons in the form of a combat stance of sorts like in the original Divinity: Original Sin.

it could work like this: Just as an example, if you hit somebody with a fireball while in this combat stance, your ethereal weapons will mark the target for x amount of turns, and will do x amount of damage to that target based on your pyromancer level, or whatever spell type you used.

They could balance it by requiring the player to beef up magical skills and intelligence in order for these weapons to be effective on any difficulty, and since these weapons would depend on you being in combat and in the stance, you cant enchant them, and Lore wise, they would be weapons from another realm of existence, and you used your magic powers to summon them.

Last edited by cool-dude01; 28/04/18 06:23 PM.
B
journeyman
journeyman
B
Yes, I fully agree. I've been wanting to play the game again but I can't force myself to do it because not only the armor system, but also the itemization that goes against any sense of RPG I have. The idea of having to make trips to the store every time I level up just makes me wanna hurl.

I wish they made an EE for DOS2 because I really enjoyed the companions aspect of it, it reminded so much of Baldur's Gate II and it was a huge improvement over the first DOS. The rest is a mess, sadly. Even the final fight is terrible, nothing but cheese all around.

For me, the things that require absolute attention are:
* Itemization: remove that RNG crap, and reduce the difference between levels so items don't get obsolete as soon you level up.
* Armor system: either rework it or remove it, because right now it's justa annoying.
* Difficulty: enemies should be harder because they're smarter and more skillful, not because they have a million points of armor stacked for no reason at all.
* Terrain hazzards: the fact that every fight ended covered in fire and I barely cared about it was a total letdown, and a terrible downgrade from the first DOS.
* Stats: they're worthless. Bring back the DOS1 system.
* Skills / Abilities: they're a no brainer. Warfare is mandatory and sometimes a lvl15 character can basically perform just as fine as a lvl1 with some skills, it makes no sense.

Those are the first that come to my mind right now, but there are others, mentioned over and over in the forum, even in a thread I made.

I'll cross my fingers for a enhanced edition. For now, it's back to DOS1.

Last edited by BowieFunes; 01/05/18 09:06 PM.
M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
if they're working on anything i hope it's something that continues the story after the abrupt ending/cliffhanger

i haven't recognized any of the problems described in this thread (maybe where they come from, but they aren't real problems for me) in the game, except maybe for the rng for items and stat bloating late game

enthusiast
enthusiast
I came to this forum to see after all these months if the system progressed in a good way, I see it didn't.

Oh well...

Anyway, thanks for this topic.

(For everybody asking for an EE for D:OS 2, do you think than the EE of the first opus was actually a big improvement in terms of stats/character evolution? I certainly liked it for the possibility of playing with a controller but I remember it for being even more restrictive than the first one and not really managing to "correct" anything)

M
stranger
stranger
M
I disagree.
In my opinion a lot of you are exaggerating by far.

And they can't rework the entire combat system.
Yes it could use some work but many enemy groups have elemental weaknesses and high physical armor where it has uses to have some mages or damage that targets magic armor.

stranger
stranger
I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one having a big problem with armor system. I bought the game day 1, it's 8 months and I barely played 5 hours. Graphics are very good, music is fantastic, characters are much better than before, and you can just feel the big amount of love that was poured into making this. But whenever I start combat, it drives me nuts.

The new armor system is so wrong on so many levels, it totally kills proper combat strategy - you need to focus on reducing armor to 0 ASAP instead of just optimizing targeting based on position / enemy class etc. And not only that, but the whole concept of throwing a fireball at somebody and doing zero actual damage (because of magical armor) is just... stupid. Same for heavy armored dudes running happily on burning surface and getting zero damage, etc. If the main idea was to nerf possible Crowd Control that mages were able to use, there were many different options to handle that (like saving throws concept from Baldur's Gate 2 for example).

At this point I'm just sad, spending $45 on a game that I really want to play, but being destroyed by main combat mechanic. I have no idea why perfectly fine combat system from D:OS was changed.

If anybody had similar case and thought a workaround for this, please let me know.

M
stranger
stranger
M
Originally Posted by Cruel
I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one having a big problem with armor system. I bought the game day 1, it's 8 months and I barely played 5 hours. Graphics are very good, music is fantastic, characters are much better than before, and you can just feel the big amount of love that was poured into making this. But whenever I start combat, it drives me nuts.

The new armor system is so wrong on so many levels, it totally kills proper combat strategy - you need to focus on reducing armor to 0 ASAP instead of just optimizing targeting based on position / enemy class etc. And not only that, but the whole concept of throwing a fireball at somebody and doing zero actual damage (because of magical armor) is just... stupid. Same for heavy armored dudes running happily on burning surface and getting zero damage, etc. If the main idea was to nerf possible Crowd Control that mages were able to use, there were many different options to handle that (like saving throws concept from Baldur's Gate 2 for example).

At this point I'm just sad, spending $45 on a game that I really want to play, but being destroyed by main combat mechanic. I have no idea why perfectly fine combat system from D:OS was changed.

If anybody had similar case and thought a workaround for this, please let me know.

It's actually annoying how someone tried something cute in such a huge franchise and majorly ruined the game experience. As if resistances and armor didn't work we needed this sponge in the game that effectively doubles all fights in length and makes the gameplay so braindead boring. As a general statement it seems like fixing what isn't broken must be lucrative. That's the only way I can understand this happening in so many games today.

C
stranger
stranger
C
I also came back for the same reason, looking if something has changed or maybe a change is coming.

/Sigh such a great game overall and so much potential but ruined at least for me by the armor system.

Honestly in that state I dont even care about expansions frown.

R
stranger
stranger
R
The smartest thing Larian did was NOT change the armor system, even when casuals complained.

The armor system removes RNG, which is good. CC is no longer tied to dice rolls. If CC was still tied to dice rolls, you could beat any encounter in the game by savescumming until you got good CC rolls.

M
stranger
stranger
M
Originally Posted by RNG_is_bad
The smartest thing Larian did was NOT change the armor system, even when casuals complained.

The armor system removes RNG, which is good. CC is no longer tied to dice rolls. If CC was still tied to dice rolls, you could beat any encounter in the game by savescumming until you got good CC rolls.

And yet people save scum now for crit chance. Because all the game has now is DPS and scoring the best critical trains guarantees you the best chance of winning.

Nothing has improved. The game has actually regressed. It's very difficult to like this game even with all the positives it has going for it.

I won't knock people who like it by saying they just want something braindead. That's what the game is. And if you really have a problem with that reroll some diversity in your group and see how easy tactician is.

I would take the original design over this every day of the week. RNG is better than this garbage.

R
stranger
stranger
R
Originally Posted by MadMilitia

And if you really have a problem with that reroll some diversity in your group and see how easy tactician is.

I beat Tactician with a diverse party, take your insults elsewhere.

[Linked Image]

You said you prefer RNG, and that's fine, but Larian was very wise to move away from it. The game is not "garbage" as you claim, nor is it "braindead".

Last edited by vometia; 19/05/18 04:50 AM. Reason: formatting
M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
none of the problems people point out with the armor systems strike me as actual problems

if people just don't enjoy the type of combat it encourages then that's perfectly reasonable, but i think everyone complaining about it really needs to understand how subjective their problems with it are

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard