Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
davarb Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hi,

I recently started playing this awesome game on PC, but just after start playing it I saw the announcement for consoles.

It seems that this edition is going to be something similar to the previous game's Enhanced edition, so my concern is regarding the savegames, are they going to be compatible current gamesaves with this new edition on PC? Is there anywhere an official statement clarifying this?

If not, it would be very useful to get this info from the developers.

Cheers.

Last edited by davarb; 16/05/18 06:00 PM.
veteran
veteran
I honestly hope not, because any scenario where savegames would keep perfect compatibility would imply that improvements would be trivial.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
V
stranger
stranger
V
I really, really, really hope they make this version compatible with current saves. I've already put 100 hours in and I'm barely off the boat and exploring the main world. Now I want to put the game on hold and wait for this but I simply do not have the time to start over from the beginning. I wish I had some guidance.

journeyman
journeyman
Do not count on savegames being compatible.
Chances are the reason they're releasing it as a separate client is so they don't have to worry about savegame compatibility. If they wanted to do anything major that would break savegame compatibility then this is their opportunity, and there's a lot of things I would think they'd want to change that we can definitely expect as such.

V
stranger
stranger
V
Chances are they're going to rework things like storyline as well, so just play through act 1 again and see that's new? I've currently spend 380 into this game and still haven't finished it. Recently figured out yet another thing in act 1 I didn't know about, after having played through the area easily 10-20 times.

Y
journeyman
journeyman
Y
i'm certain it will just be a second game you get in your steam library just like EE was. Your saves for DE will be entirely seperate, so you'll need to start a new run if you want to play DE.

davarb Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Yes, I'm almost certain too that due to the fact that they're releasing it as a separate game the old savegames won't work.
So, it doesn't matter anyway, I have already played around 30 hours (not as much as Velcas), and I have already felt in love. So I'm going to quit playing for now, and play again in August.
The game is so fun and has so much replayability that I'm sure is not going to be tedious to replay the 1st half of the 1st act again.

Y
journeyman
journeyman
Y
I've replayed the game a dozen times. If you're playing on honour or with difficulty mods each run always feels like an engaging challenge.

veteran
veteran
For us modders, it's even a concern keeping / making mods compatible or otherwise translated over to the new version when ever we get access to it, so I could more or less with 99% certainty say that savegames won't be compatible.

Much due to the fact how the scripting (story and behavior) works, it is just incredibly unlikely.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard