Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
Originally Posted by miaasma
and the obvious solution is to prevent those things from appearing on those items

Yeah, let's just remove features that worked before, instead of fixing the problem. I guess we can also remove traps from the game completely too, as they're completely harmless.
Elemental properties on weapons were always a big part of RPGs, meant to add some other source of damage to your main one, and they usually also enabled some specific builds centered around them and made the itemization overall less boring. I mean isn't it always cool when you find an enchanted weapon that deals some kind of magical damage? Why remove it?

a few things

what "features that worked before" are you referring to? before what?

elemental damage on weapons works better in other RPGs with different combat systems. in this game, it's less effective because of how armor works, so it'd probably be better to change how runes affect weapons, if something actually needed to be changed. that being said, i don't know where you got anything about elemental damage in my post, since those can at least mesh (using a 2 handed weapon that does air damage can interact with a wet target, for example). i was talking about stats on weapons, like +1 scoundrel on a piece of intelligence armor, which will almost never be of any use other than for niche hybrid builds

on the subject of traps, i think they just haven't been appropriately tweaked; give them more effects, make them do more damage

Last edited by miaasma; 04/06/18 04:20 AM.
N
stranger
stranger
N
what "features that worked before" are you referring to? before what?

Elemental damage on weapons, it was fine in D:OS1, here it doesn't work that well, since the system pigeonholes certain damage dealers to always attack certain enemies and you'll never really make use of that effect, because the enemies just absorb all of that bonus damage. I guess you could say it's useful for helping your mages killing low magic armor enemies once your low physical armor enemies are dead, but really, since that damage also scales with intelligence, the damage is so pitiful it doesn't even matter even if their magic armor is already down.
At least in D:OS1 it was always helpful in some way and it could also be useful against enemies with high physical resist.

elemental damage on weapons works better in other RPGs with different combat systems. in this game, it's less effective because of how armor works, so it'd probably be better to change how runes affect weapons, if something actually needed to be changed.

the subject of traps, i think they just haven't been appropriately tweaked; give them more effects, make them do more damage

Honestly, I'd rather fix the source of the problem instead of fixing all the other things it broke, and it's not only elemental damage on weapons, see my first post.
I don't even think the whole system needs to be scrapped, just changed and better balanced. For example you could make it so that some damage always bypasses the armor, maybe based on the percentage of how much you still have left. Another thing you could do is make soft status effects like shocked or burning to always bypass the armor.

that being said, i don't know where you got anything about elemental damage in my post, since those can at least mesh (using a 2 handed weapon that does air damage can interact with a wet target, for example). i was talking about stats on weapons, like +1 scoundrel on a piece of intelligence armor, which will almost never be of any use other than for niche hybrid builds

I see. I picked elemental damage since the quote you replied to included it along with two others, and I thought you talked about all of them.

veteran
veteran
The randomness of effects on items is a different issue, I addressed it more than once. They did not even try to fix it, instead the armor system makes it even worse. Now there are even more pointless effects, that you could get on your weapons and turn good weapon into a hardly decent one.

Also thanks to the broken attributes, taking aerothurg for magic damage would not that effective. You will hardly skill Intelligence, so the damage would be subpar anyway.

And yes, in D:OS2 most fights go the way you expected them to go, even in tactician. Most fights are not fun, they are pure grind, because the stat boost for enemies is pretty insane. If a boss just murders you, if you let him act even once, there is no challenge just a puzzle: How to I neutralize him before he can act. After he got neutralized the fight is pretty much over. Also the only surprises are just skills, that enemies have but you have never seen or heard about. Just like the exploding turtles on the beach. They hardly add challenge and more enforce save scumming. The probably should rename Tactician into Puzzlian.

journeyman
journeyman
This mod will fix all the problems you have with combat and some more.
http://larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=645563&page=1

It will release after the enhanced edition is out as the creator wants to make it work with it, he could release a lot of it right now but waiting makes more sense and gives him time to make the mod fully working and test out the combat and search for bugs longer. Expect a late september release. smile

And I don't agree that tactition is a save scumming. At some points you might die a few times but most normal battles can be won first try if you prepare well enough. If you have a high lore level you already know a lot of effects and especially resistances before they happen. You have to use potions (just look how many there are https://divinityoriginalsin2.wiki.fextralife.com/Potions) and other items effectivly. If you don't use potions you should maybe stay away from tact mode. Ontop of that tactication mode forces you to work together with all four party members, in normal mode all four players can go their way and 2-3 of them group up for harder battles and only for bosses you use all 4 characters. In tactician mode you should have all characters together and be creative with your tactics and always bring a decent amount of items and special potions. I give it to you though that some of the bosses were hard to figure out, but dying in one turn just means you didn't invest into the right kind of armor and stats or just didn't use potions.

veteran
veteran
There is nothing you can 'invest' in Fort Joy. You got nothing at the start and there is not much to gain either, so what exactly should you invest? Even if you know were all those nice 'armors' are lying around and were chests are hidden, your equipment stays subpar for the most time of the act. So this argument is kind of bullshit.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard