Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
Saved and exited after finishing the Red Princes dream scenario last night in the final act. Woke up this morning hoping to pick off where I left and finish the campaign today - taste that sweet, sweet victory. Only to discover that I was unable to load my campaign at all - it was grayed out?

Yet, everything seems fine in the Larian Studios folder, although I'm admittedly no expert. My profile is there, the save is there and there's an image file next to it which seems to be a candid of my game taken just before I logged off for the night (what is this? Is this normal?)

If anyone has any guidance on how to resolve this, it would be much appreciated, because I just don't have the enthusiasm to do this again. I love this game but at this point I've played through the initial acts so many times that it would be a joyless test of endurance to go through them once more - and to have to do so because of some technical bug? I don't have it in me.

Let me know if you need any additional information, and thank you for your time.

Oh and, I don't know if this helps but on the off chance that it might, I typically play the game on my desktop PC, but occasionally I will stream it to my laptop using steams stream capabilities.

Support
Support

The png file is the screenshot image shown in the save/load window.

If you zip the lsv file in the save folder, does the size decrease significantly? It is already compressed, so if zipping it reduces the size by very much it would imply that is is corrupt and there is missing data in the file (one or more sections replaced by zeros, for example).

You can also check the save using an extractor program, if you wish.
http://larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=572322&an=

https://s3.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/nb-stor/dos/ExportTool/ExportTool-latest.zip

After starting the program, switch to the 'PAK / LSV Tools' tab, in the 'Package path' browse to the save's lsv file, then for the 'Extraction / source path' browse to that or another profile's '..\savegames\Story' folder and enter a new folder for the extracted files (you can copy/paste the path from the path listed above and edit it; ie to be '..\Story\HonourMode_extracted') and click the 'Extract Package' button.

Did you check if the save on the laptop works? Try exiting out of Steam, or disable cloud support first, in case the online version is corrupt.

Do you have any recent backups of your My Documents folder?
If you are using Windows 10, it may have put My Documents in a OneDrive folder.

Do you have Windows shadow copies enabled, if applicable? Try right clicking the save folder, or the 'Story' folder, select Properties and (if available) switch to the Previous Versions tab to see if there are any copies.

If applicable, Steam keeps a copy of the profile in its install folder, to use when syncing, so you could try searching there with Recuva, as well (Steam usually syncs automatically when exiting the game, and restarting should always trigger a sync, if required).

With the Steam version, if your save is still online (Steam did not sync, or the save became corrupt after it synced), you should be able to download it using the program Steam Cloud File Manager Lite. You need to be logged in to the Steam client and have the game's AppID (435150).

https://github.com/GMMan/SteamCloudFileManagerLite/releases/download/v1.0.0.0-alpha-1/Release.zip

You can try a file recovery program such as Recuva, but it may not be able to completely restore previous versions of overwritten fies, especially for honout mode save, since it gets repeatedly overwritten. In general, the more you use the computer after files are deleted, the less likely they will be recoverable.

A
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
Zipping did substantially decrease the file size, so it seems the save is corrupt. I tried your suggestions, but unfortunately I was unsuccessful in salvaging my saved game. Happens. Still, thanks for the reply, although the suggestions didn't pan out for me, I suspect others will find them helpful in the future when google directs them here for experiencing a similar problem.

Support
Support

That's too bad.

There are a couple mods to skip Fort Joy, or skip the first act. I don't know if it would disable achievements if you used them to get into the game and then deactivated the mod. If so, and it matters, there is a mod to enable achievements when using mods.

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard