stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
According to wiki

DOS - 500 000
DAO - 3 000 000
Diablo 3 - 30 000 000

Of course quantity does not mean quality but just some market data. Not shabby for my personal jewel DAO. Provided it is so old.

DAO had a curse of its own. It came very late to the community but when it came it was ahead of its time. As we later observed.

Here is a video from the lead developer of DAO on designing the combat mechanics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAwZZVFnqp0

To Larian, please pay special attention at 3:50

Originally Posted by Crag Hack

Of course quantity does not mean quality

Exactly.

Here is a video from the lead developer of DAO on designing the combat mechanics

"Sign in to confirm your age"

Since I don't have a Google account, could you please describe your point in your own words?

As for the combat systems of DOS and DAO, I found DAO's combat wanting. Too chaotic and repeating. Nothing like DOS' highly tactical battles and its unique combination of the environment and elements.

That said, everyone has different preferences. Mine are just much more satisfied by DOS than DOA, and I couldn't care less about sales figures, aside from wishing Larian the success they deserve in my eyes.

C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
You are not the one to pick up this conversation so walk away and play dos tactics

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Be polite, please.

J'aime le fromage.
You are not the one to pick up this conversation so walk away and play dos tactics

Well, you posted in an open forum, so you'll have to live with anyone who chooses to reply. If you want only replies from Larian staff, you should contact them directly.

That said, my advice to use your own words instead of mere video links to make your point applies in general.

C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Okay I am going to be very polite now.

First of all Larian should be applauded for what they have created after all. I told you I am polite.

But it is lacking in certain departments of the game. The combat mechanics is not providing enough for me. There is a scarcity of skills and combinations, although there are such to a certain extend, but at around level 14, or mid-game, the system exhausts itself and there is no profound skill progression further. As if the system collapses under its own weight and doesn't know what to offer anymore. Notable example, master level rogue skill - coup de grace. This is unacceptable to me; mid-game to achieve full class maturity, too early and disappointing.

DOS let me down very early in the game but its lack of epic feeling in the story. Instead bombarding the player with its excessive weird type of humor highly untypical for the dark world of rpg fantasy. Instead I feel inside a soap opera story. Anyway, I closed my eyes to this problem and focused on the combat mechanics the game has to offer. Unfortunate the mechanics let me down at mid game as I said my builds feel fully developed and I don't know where to assign points anymore.

So how is this related to DAO ? Very obviously - DAO did it right, from storytelling, emotional characters, to inventory management, shop system, build progression, combat depth. Things that DOS is lacking more or less.

C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
In fact Larian is very impolite to the player at large.

This guy Lawrence in Lucula Forest treats the Source Hunters as scum. He is so angry that the mine gets destroyed and arrogantly blames the Source Hunters for being incompetent. I was like what, give me a break. I just saved your hide in the Truth Be Told quest, went into the mine (which got self-destroyed by itself and nothing to do with my actions there) and Lawrence blaming me incompetent ! I was thinking did I mess the quest or something. But no, the mine gets destroyed by default but it was very important to Larian to treat the player impolitely.

They treat the Source Hunters in this game with full disrespect. Including Aureus, open disdain. As if they are not emissaries from the main government and you should treat them with more care. Cheeses, they treat the Fabolous Five guild members with more respect than the official government emissaries.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I dunno, I can see why it's tempting to do a comparison, but I'm glad DOS and Oranges are different: I love both but actually I appreciate their differences as that's what's added more depth and interest to my gaming experience. Similarly, the Bethsoft games, which are yet another facet. All have their strengths and weaknesses, and I'm happy to accept each one on its own terms. As much as I might wish TES had the same characterisation as Dragon Age or that Dragon Age had the same humour as Divinity, I also accept that you can't have everything and the chances are that something might be lost in the process.

For proper disrespect I'm reminded of the ever-cheery ordinators in Vivec: "we're watching you, scum." Which is its own variation on "have a nice day!"

J'aime le fromage.
C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
There is a saying...if you don't know what to say, better don't say anything.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
There is a saying...if you don't know what to say, better don't say anything.

Indeed there is, Crag. I had thought this topic was perhaps seeing an interesting discourse developing but I will not ask again that you remain civil.

J'aime le fromage.
C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Okay you made me go once more through your post to see what you are saying, if you so insist.

And ?

stranger
stranger
Play D:OS2. As this is the newer game utilizing the engines most up to date improvements, it's improved in all the areas you have a concern with. Specifically the combat and the variation/combos you can achieve. It's rather impressive.

Thank you for your time.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard