Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
addict
OP Offline
addict
Hello everyone!

As we are closing in on the Definitive Edition release, I want to detail some of steps we are taking to ensure a good transition for modding from Vanilla to Definitive Edition.

Some clarification as to how definitive mods mods will work

• Steam: Definitive Edition mods will be available under the same workshop, but get a separate tag to be able to be filtered.
  • Other platforms: Direct downloads as usual.

The game will distinguish between Vanilla mods and Definitive Edition mods. So be sure to download the correct version of a mod, according to the game version you want to play in.

Just like the game, the Divinity Engine 2 will get a Definitive Edition as well, used to make and publish mods for the new version of the game.

Compatibility in general

We tested several popular mods of all types ourselves.
    These are the following types of compatibility issues:
    • Scripting (story and behaviour): Your mod scripting needs to be updated to make it work again in game.
    • Stats: No immediate issues, but A Lot has been tweaked. So if your mod is stat-heavy, you'll probably want to revisit your tweaks.
    • Level changes: Similar to stats. We added/changed areas and dialogues. Your mod should work, but again you might want to revisit and tweak your changes accordingly.

• E.g. class mods generally convert without any changes.

Further actions we are taking

First, we will be providing a Definitive Edition mod guide here, on Discord and on the wiki. This guide will detail changes from Vanilla to Definitive Edition that are mod-breaking (and how to fix them), as well as fixes/improvements/new features to the Definitive edition of the editor.

Second, we will organize a small beta access program. We sent out invites to several modders. Those who accept will get a couple of weeks of early access to convert their mods and communicate with us about the process. This will help us identify the biggest problems and tweak the conversion process where possible. Since this is an early access program we are only able to send these invites to a handful of people. Not getting an invite is in no way representative of the quality of your mods! We are just limited in the amount of invites. You are still very welcome to ask us any questions or give suggestions here or on any of the other recognized platforms for discussion.

Furthermore, next to a Definitive Edition tag on the Steam Workshop, we'll also be enabling category tags such as "Stats"/"Skills"/"Classes"/... for better filtering. We'll also be disabling any further publishes of The Hungry Journey GM campaign in the Definitive Edition, to limit workshop clutter.

Stay tuned for more information as we close in on release!

Last edited by Larian_KVN; 31/07/18 01:15 PM.
veteran
veteran
Excited! Particularly happy about the expansion of tags on the workshop. And The Hungry Journey!

Good luck with launch 😃

apprentice
apprentice
Good luck, hoping everything goes fine with mods.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Larian_KVN
Hello everyone!
The game will distinguish between Vanilla mods and Definitive Edition mods. So be sure to download the correct version of a mod, according to the game version you want to play in.

So just to clarify in my mind how this will work ... I take it the game uses that new workshop tag to identify whether a mod belongs to classic or DE? If so, when a mod is compatible with both apart from any changes, does an author need to upload it twice, once with the new tag and once without? Can an author simply add the tag to an existing workshop item without re-uploading or is the tag somehow automatically applied by the DE version of the editor when uploading.

Sorry if this is all obvious and I'm dense. smile Thanks!

DOS2 Mods: Happily Emmie After and The Noisy Crypt

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
addict
OP Offline
addict
Yes. A double upload is required. The tag is automatically applied when publishing through the definitive editor.

Since the changes to story, stats etc. there will be no overlap between Vanilla and Definitive Edition mods, instead we'll enforce a new publish for all mods to ensure no false tags are set and compatibility is guaranteed.

Last edited by Larian_KVN; 31/07/18 02:15 PM.

CTRL+K the elf
old hand
old hand
Thank you! That helps me to update my FAQs. thankyou

DOS2 Mods: Happily Emmie After and The Noisy Crypt

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
enthusiast
enthusiast
Ooh! Exciting! All the new tags to organize mods with, and The Hungy Journey anti-spam, are going to be great. Looking forward to seeing all of Larian's hard work on the DE game/editor as well. rpg007

stranger
stranger
Thanks for the update Kevin. I'm really looking forward to seeing what the stat changes are!

Best of luck with launch to yourself and all the other awesome peeps at Larian!

V
stranger
stranger
V
Looking forward to all the new stuff! I'm excited to see what changes there are to scripting and to stats!

Moderated by  Larian_KVN 

Link Copied to Clipboard