Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
This is a GREAT game - almost. I love that it is D&D come to life.

But the combat is too frequent for me, and I am getting aggravated/bored/frustrated with the game and am about to walk away from it. "Here we go again, another fight.....*BORING*"

There HAS to be game balance between exploring/looting, combat, and story-telling. From my view, there is not enough exploring/looting, and too much combat. Storytelling is fine.

I am new to the game - my husband and I have been spending the last few days checking it out. My husband is fine with the combat frequency. I am not. Note, my husband is a very experienced Game Master of over 30 years.

I was hoping that story mode would mean the least amount of combat...but no, it is just as frequent, only easier.

Larian Execs....devs...decision-makers at Larian: My money is just as good as the next person's....Please give us an option to decrease frequency of combat for those of us who want to focus more on exploring/looting and storytelling.

Couples that game together, stay together...come on give me a game I can play at the same time as my husband, but MY WAY.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
there is a lot of freedom in the game. so it's up to you to decide how much combat you really want in your game.
most of the combat situations can be avoided, talked out or cheesed with enough explosives (for example iirc you can escape fort joy without any combat at all)… though I don't recommend it cuz you'll loose a lot of exp that way, which will make the game harder

also in the later stages of the game (act2+) there will be more explorations, so if you'll need\want you can mix it with unavoidable combats to ease your "boredom"

Last edited by SlynxJewel; 02/09/18 01:40 PM.
S
addict
addict
S
With all due respect, it sounds like YOUR way would not be your husband's way. A game can't be everything for everyone and Larian is not responsible for saving your relationship. Most of the combat is integral to the storytelling and sense of character progression and serves as a break from what would otherwise be rather tedious and nonsensical looting and exploration.

Though it seems you haven't tried too hard to avoid combat (you get the Escapist talent to flee even close combat etc.), I agree story-mode could have made it even easier to do so while compensating you with xp so your party level wouldn't lag behind the content. That said, realize you are a tiny minority and you want Larian to pander to you despite the fact that this would realistically mean cutting content that the large majority would want instead.

veteran
veteran
My suggestions would be, to let your husband clear the small fights in between alone and then stroll the way together for the story and the huge fights.

It would be very hard to adjust stuff otherwise, everything is hand placed in a game like this and not generated.

stranger
stranger
They can't just remove combat sections because they're built into the map, essentially. If this was generating combat dynamically (randomized combat, with respawns, like you see in a lot of JRPGs), it would be doable. But less so in a narrative game that is built around a turn based combat mechanic. You can skip some fights, but you'll be weaker for when you really need it later, since there's no grinding.

If you don't mind going off on your own here and there, my recommendation is to unchain your character from the rest of the party (literally, using the game mechanics - not suggesting a real life separation!) - and wander around to do the NPC schmoozing/shopping/quest turn-ins, and let your partner handle the fights. On a lower difficulty level this is entirely doable.

You can sort of tell when they fights are inevitable via scouting the area (if you're in some subterranean cavern, there's likely going to be more stuff trying to eat your face) and using LEFT-SHIFT - that way you can see the red view-zones for monsters up ahead.

As for avoiding fights with NPCs, max persuasion and try to be polite? Helps if you're not playing Sebille or the Red Prince, too. Or (ahem) Lohse even in certain situations.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I for one think there's too much moment where there's only explorating and running around.
It's all a matter of taste.

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard