Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
So ever since launch, I've had issues with the Journal being wonky / broken. So I put Chronicles' on hold until some of the baby bugs could go out of the window.

During that time, I made some smaller mods, one of them being Black Cat+ which one of its features being a small quest to make the cat a permanent follower again, but with combat abilities.

I've spent my morning tracking down the source, removing all story goals and suspicions, eventually I removed all the Journal edits, practically just deleting content from /Mods/BlackCatPlus/Story/Journal/ which made vanilla quests work and show up in the ingame journal again.

I decided to try make the most barebones new quest in the journal which now was new and fresh, unedited, and once saved, vanilla quests once again fail to show ingame, leaving the player with a blank journal.

So my current conclusion is that adding new quests seems to be broken currently...?

Here's an image of the journal editor.
[Linked Image]

Story goal:

INIT
Code
DB_QuestDef_State("BlackCatPlus","Start", 1);
DB_QuestDef_State("BlackCatPlus","NewFriend");
DB_QuestDef_State("BlackCatPlus","BlackCatRecruited",-1);

KB
Code
IF
DialogEnded("FTJ_BlackCat_ThanksPlayer",_Id)
AND
DialogGetInvolvedPlayer(_Id,1,(CHARACTERGUID)_Player)
THEN
ItemTemplateAddTo("BlackCat_Skill_Summon_Cat_07b0da07-563e-4d4a-830e-19b04df1c79f", _Player, 1, 1);
ObjectSetFlag(_Player, "QuestUpdate_BlackCatPlus_Start");
GlobalSetFlag("FTJ_BlackCatLeave");

This also explains why I had problems with quests not showing in Chronicles of Divinity anymore. I thought at first perhaps it was something faulty with my implementation of a new origin character, but that's debunked.

Any ideas?

L
L
Your quest updates appear to not have objectives. I'm not sure if that's the only problem, but it's definitely a problem.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I was told objectives weren't necessary, even though I speculated it may have been the case. For the record, it used to have objectives in an earlier step when I was trying to figure out what was wrong / missing new additions. It still had the same issue.

Also, the quest progresses and updates as you'd expect. So my quest works both ingame and in journal. But the classic game journal entries become collateral and disappears.

Last edited by The Composer; 17/09/18 03:00 PM.
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I'm also seeing that all finisher states refers to COMPLETION as their objective, although I can't inherently point to that in my finisher state. So I'd have to make a new one, but wondering if that should be of the same name, and how that may affect potential mod compatibility.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I've now re-added objectives using what seems to be correct following Origins questupdate naming conventions. Still no bang for the buck.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by The Composer; 17/09/18 03:21 PM.
T
addict
addict
T
Regarding COMPLETION: it doesn't matter how you call it. Journal entries per quest are sorted in descending order by objective priority. The COMPLETION objective is just an empty objective with a very high priority that we assign to the final update of quests, so that
a) that entry always appears on top
b) there is no objective (text) associated with the final entry (since the quest is finished, it can't have an objective any more)

That said, what you're describing indeed suggests that the game is replacing the entire journal of the Origins mod with the one of your own mod. That definitely sounds like a bug. I've told Kevin about it.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Trust me, I've told Kevin about it too :') He referred me here for your help.

I've done all I could think of, and I indeed too figure it's some sort of engine/game bug. Like, editing an inherited map adds a level of the same name to your mod files etc etc, and I am guessing the journal does something similar. WHICH REMINDS ME:

Can you try this, Tinkerer?

Make a new project, open story editor, copy an existing goal to your mod, then delete it. From my testing, it doesn't revert the Origins goal to default. It actually deletes it entirely. So you'd have to remove the file in the mod folder, deleting it in editor deletes the entire thing completely.

T
addict
addict
T
Yes, Kevin also referred Ilya and me here to help you because he thought it might be some error in your quest data or scripting. Based on your description, however, we told him that it looked like a code bug, and he and Jannik have confirmed it in the mean time.

Regarding the removal of Osiris goals: does deleting it in the editor leave an empty goal behind in your mod folder? That's the only way I can imagine a mod could "delete" a goal that it inherits.

Hi Composer,

A fix for the Journal modding issue is pending and scheduled for the next game patch. Thanks for the detailed description!

[Linked Image]

_
Jannik

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Awesome! Happy to hear it!

Moderated by  Larian_KVN 

Link Copied to Clipboard