Next Thread
Print Thread
#650124 02/10/18 02:36 PM
J
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
J
So during the initial tutorial of bless you turn water into ... well blessed water.

Several fights now, I go to turn cursed fire into the blessed counterpart, and it does nothing, but cause massive damage to my party. (which I imagine it's just changing it to and from instantly, causing this unexpected explosion?)

I don't see anyone else reporting this, so it must be some newer change. Even forums for the particular fight I'm on (To save Gwyain) suggest just blessing the fire, and holding out on top of the tower.

Would be ideal if the void ooze didn't actively curse my fire and turn it into cursed fire.

I cannot change it back to holy fire? But they can change my holy fire to cursed? I don't see how this isn't a bug?

3 hours later, 2 load from saves, and I'm still dying on this. This one shouldn't be this hard for a level 12?

old hand
old hand
This fight is notorious for a couple of reasons.

I'd say this is more a level 13 encounter, than 12.

The problem with Bless is that it is very easy to be undone when you're fighting Voidwoken enemies, or many mid/high level enemies. In many cases, Voidwokens don't have to do anything to create cursed surfaces, while you have to spend 1AP + 1SP. Sometimes just striking them will create cursed surfaces. Tbh, in many encounters I never quite figured out where all the cursed surfaces even came from.

All this means when you do use Bless, your blessed surfaces rarely last for long enough to matter. I suppose with careful positioning and manipulation of enemy positions, you can make it work to a decent extent in certain situations. In this particular encounter to save Gwydian, it's not so easy. I'm not saying it doesn't work at all, just that it requires a lot of effort, the right setup, and possibly metaknowledge, and to me it has never been worth it.

You probably already know, but blessing a cursed surface doesn't turn it into a blessed surface right away. It turns it into the normal surface first. You have to Bless it one more time to make it a blessed surface. So there's that. This compounds the underwhelming performance of Bless. Again, in the majority of cases, enemies can create cursed surfaces - *snap finger* - just like that.

The bottom line is, Bless is pretty much useless in any fight that can be considered tough. Especially when compared against many other skills you have access to, at any given level. If you're not getting it to work very well, you might as well change your tactics entirely. Trying too hard to make it work probably just makes the whole thing harder for you.

As for the encounter itself. Having a dedicated hydro/healer character in the party goes a very long way, since the healing, the magic armor restoration, and the water damage work greatly in this fight. Stock up on scrolls of Armor of Frost and Restoration and distribute them to all party members.

Dome of Protection also works very well since your party will be clumping up together on the top platform for most of the time.

Potions help a lot too. If you don't mind some crafting and hunting for ingredients, you could make a bunch of Large Potions of Fire Resistance and give them to everyone.

Here's a little personal trick I learned on my current playthrough: notice the tents near the beach. If you have Teleportation and are standing on the top platform, you can teleport the big blobs to where the tents are. They will be stuck there and do nothing. There is also a rock in the vicinity that you can teleport enemies on, and they will also be stuck there. They could definitely jump off, but they didn't do that in my game. Probably because it was too far from the scaffold. I'd guess that enemy AI doesn't work as effectively when they're too far away from the scaffold and everyone else.

Another trick someone has also mentioned, is that having everyone run to the beach and make your stand there makes it much easier, because NO ONE CAN CURSE THE OCEAN. Or to be more precise, no one can create cursed surfaces on the sea.

Last edited by Try2Handing; 02/10/18 03:28 PM.

"We make our choices and take what comes and the rest is void."
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
hmmm....
1)you have a Normal fire. if you cast curse on it - it become cursed. if you cast bless it becomes blessed.

2)now you have a blessed\cursed fire - if you cast curse\bless it becomes normal. then you proceed to #1

I guess your problem with fire is that cursed blood counts as multiple sources of curse (probably for each blob of blood). that's why it turns into cursed fire. when you do it with a spell or a scroll the interaction is the same as I've described upper.

though I must admit that I rarely use bless. cuz they've changed it after beta to a source skill. so I mainly use it for puzzles. or to buff my rogue with a dodge chance(if I have one in a party). as for the fire... I suggest to use something like Bless-rain\bloodrain to eliminate it. cuz cursed blood is less harmful. it's only a decay effect on you.

Last edited by SlynxJewel; 03/10/18 03:20 PM.
stranger
stranger
Yeah, bless is kinda useless with its source cost. Fortunately there's mod that removes it.

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard