Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#650362 13/10/18 04:52 PM
meme Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Given the transition from divinity original sin to divinity original sin 2 to divinity original sin 2 definitive there has been changes made in character build (stats), combat mechanics and items.
-
My understanding is the primary changes are in the name of 'balance'. However, I find combat BEST (as in most fun) in divinity original sin; followed by a distance second original sin 2 and worse is the new definitive edition.
-
For the record I play all the games in tactical difficulty. I've not finished the definitive version of original sin 2 (headed to nameless isle waiting for the next patch) but so far I have found original sin 2 to be the easiest with regards to combat (much easier than original sin 2) AND items to be incredibly BORING.
-
It isn't that 'balance' is bad or undesirable but in attempting to balance things they have become less dynamic and less exciting. This is sort of the same issue that other games (poe changes as patches are applied for example) have suffered. Things are tone down to make them more even and 'balance' and a by product is they become boring.
--
REQUEST: Make the next game more dynamic and interesting with regards to combat and items even if it 'screws' balance.

meme #650363 13/10/18 05:43 PM
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I think the trouble is that people who prefer multiplayer and people who don't have different expectations and requirements. I've seen it a lot in particular with MP games that do both PvE and PvP like ESO, where the latter crowd are constantly "nerf this! nerf that! nerf everything!" in the name of "balance" and whether or not it works for them (and I'm assuming not because the demands for nerfing never stop) each round just seems to make the PvE experience worse.

I recall during OS2's development there were similar choruses of nerf demands and I think the gameplay suffered as a result. No idea whether it improved MP, but I felt it made SP worse, at least for those who didn't dedicate themselves to learning The Mechanicsâ„¢ in intricate detail and the optimum positioning and strategy for every battle. Which I didn't, as that's now what gaming is about for me.

J'aime le fromage.
meme #650364 13/10/18 05:48 PM
meme Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I agree that it might have had an influence but the divinity series primarily focus is single player. So if multi-player people are the ones screaming balance then I would had hope they (Larian) would have enough common sense to ignore them. Is there any hope for the next game ?

meme #650368 13/10/18 09:26 PM
veteran
veteran
From start of EA phyiscal was always superior to magic and since then it only got worse.

Armor system might have a good basic concept but feels badly thought through.

Biggest issue in my eyes still remains though that they totally wrecked character developement. They did not find a good replacement for the old action points and cooldown reduction systems and therefore attributes feel pretty unsatisfying and offer no real choices.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard