Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
Divinity Original Sin 2, at its core, is a sprawling adventure game with rich lore, intriguing characters, and captivating environments that has, undoubtedly, set a new industry standard of how modern RPGs should be made. With that being said, I regard the combat system, while a triumph of turn-based mechanics, as a subtext to these existing qualities and I wish I had realized that before playing through on tactician mode last month. Tactician mode is less of an adventure and more of a complex math equation that must be solved in order to be successful. I surrounded myself with graphs, build sheets, combat notes, and other tools of the trade all while forgetting to stop and smell the proverbial bouquet of roses the game had to offer. Adventuring was treated like the navigation of a minefield, instant death always a hair's width away. Phone alarms buzzing every five minutes reminding me to create a save file lest I step on a mine or become surrounded by hidden enemies who wipe out my party before I had a chance to say goodbye. Character interaction was daunting, never knowing when a battle was about to ensue and prompt yet another loading screen. Battles were won or lost by a single arrow (I recall making a save file before shooting an arrow with a 95% hit probability because it was THAT pivotal). The fights were full of twists and turns, enemies crashing in, events rending the world apart and it was always an “oh sh**!” instead of an “oh cool!” which detracted from the effect of the moment. Instead of just taking in the scene and admiring the events as they unfolded, my mind would automatically begin calculating the likelihood of success, lest I find myself stuck at the bottom of a long save-rabbit hole. I enjoyed every minute of this game and I DID experience spurts of pure unbridled adventuring, but, by the end of my journey, I felt like I had taken a course in complex statistics instead of jaunting around a world full of gods and magic. You only get one FIRST playthrough and you can always bump the difficulty up if you need to! I’m writing this because I wish someone had told me that I could just ENJOY this game instead of trying to conquer it. With all this being said, I haven’t had this much fun playing a game in years, and I hope many will emulate it in the future. Cheers and happy adventuring!

veteran
veteran
It's always fun to hear people having good experiences ^.^ I'd agree with your suggestion in my personal opinion. Try to split longer texts into paragraphs, though. It can get a bit difficult to read :]

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Padithus
[...] I wish someone had told me that I could just ENJOY this game instead of trying to conquer it.

You knew you were playing on the HARDEST difficulty, right? Besides:

Originally Posted by Padithus
[...] you can always bump the difficulty up if you need to!

EXACTLY that.

I know you're not complaining, but you can't really say "I wish someone had told me..." if you KNEW "you can always bump the difficulty up if you need to!", and that you WERE playing the hardest difficulty by your own choice. The game warns you TWICE (NO other game does that) after you select Tactician as the difficulty.

Last edited by Try2Handing; 16/10/18 08:49 PM.

"We make our choices and take what comes and the rest is void."
P
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
I knew I needed to edit it but the limit expired! Sorry it's my first post!

old hand
old hand
I see. It's no big deal. We understand you're excited about it and it's good to know you enjoyed the game. Just couldn't resist the urge to give you a hard time. Welcome to the forums.

"We make our choices and take what comes and the rest is void."
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
hmmm….played from the first time on tactical. multiple times (unlike honor mode where the game is usually over cuz it has so many game breaking bugs tactical is quite easy)
had no problems in beating the game. and had no problems with enjoyment of it too.
so in DOS2 (IMHO) playing on tactical is not a big deal.

though I don't recommend playing on hardest difficulty in DOS1. cuz unlike the 2nd game it were "made right" and there were actually some changes between the difficulties. not just the number bloat

old hand
old hand
I'm mixed. I played it on tactical my first time. The classic was hard at the start but easy at the end; the definitive is easy at the end -> nameless isle; but then a rapid increase in difficulty in arx. Luckily i learned all about the idol before arx in the definitive version (never used it in classic version).
-
Anyway point? I would have been bored stiff on anything less than tactical for 3/4 of the game; but crise arx was painful.
--
Having said all that I don't really like the combat in d:os-2; though tit was better in d:os-1 and I still think DD and DKS are the best of the bunch.

Last edited by meme; 04/12/18 03:47 PM.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard