Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
stranger
stranger
Yeah I thought you were the other dude. My bad.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I think that under ideal circumstances both options would be available at the start of the game, similarly to how you choose the difficulty setting in most games.
Pillars of Eternity 2 initially only had a RTwP option but later on added an option to play the game in turn based mode. I haven't played it myself so I don't know how successful the conversion of the entire combat system turned out to be, but it seems like it'd be the best course of action if Larian wants an option for both groups of players who prefer the different types of combat.

Considering that BG3 still is in development I'd dare say this is the best point of time to add both options to the game. This way they can balance and adjust the combat encounters appropriately every time they are added to the game rather than having to go back at a later date (as was the case with POE2) and start all over with applying the second combat system to every encounter that already had been added to the game.

Last edited by Bukke; 16/06/19 11:38 AM.
veteran
veteran
Yeah I agree. And as such I strongly disagree with the view that they should pick one or the other and do it well and not do both poorly. That is a completely false choice. It is entirely possible to do both very well. Larian is not some small startup studio and this is a AAA game with a AAA budget. They also don't have to spend time and money creating the rules-set or the setting, because these are already created for them. So building, from the ground up, parallel combat systems using RTwP and TB is eminently feasible and realistic, where neither mode ends up being "secondary" to the other in terms of game's systems and content.

stranger
stranger
You have to compromise the ruleset further to accomodate RTwP playability. Just look at Kingmaker.
They'd be dealing with two combat systems to design and balance, which isn't exactly easy and raises questions like should rule parity between the two be a thing. If they were to opt for rule parity, then the Turn-Based option would come out crippled inevitably by the concessions that have to be made in favour of RTwP.
You have examples of games that attempted both modes and were complete clown fests, like Arcanum and the Might & Magic series.

Last edited by Iuris Tantum; 16/06/19 10:34 PM.
veteran
veteran
Where's the option both/either?

stranger
stranger
Tactical turn-based all the way. It's the key differentiating system that made DOS 1&2 the masterpieces they are.

stranger
stranger
I would love to see turn based but doubt it will be a thing since Larian in the other titles never seems to do turn based. But there is some hope since Pillars of Eternity 2 not long ago got a turn based options maybe Larian can do something similar.

stranger
stranger
Anyone seeing any developer comments on this forum?
Even just to say "Hi, We are listening?"?

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
The developers are seen on the modding forums periodically. I have no idea how much attention they're paying to this particular one.

J'aime le fromage.
stranger
stranger
Most of the polls have RTwP winning at around 60%.
TB people are the most vocal and seem like the majority on forums, this is not true!
When we have a poll on these Larian forums that can easily be cheated to vote multiple times and RTwP is still winning says quite a lot about what is more popular.

Last edited by V4skunk; 23/06/19 08:28 PM.
S
veteran
veteran
S
maybe because RTWP people are also those with 2 or 3 posts who recently popped up to push their agenda.
Realy makes you think....

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Sordak
maybe because RTWP people are also those with 2 or 3 posts who recently popped up to push their agenda.

Guilty as charged.

J'aime le fromage.
Guys and gals, this poll doesn't have any meaning at all. 1000 votes sample is not enough to prove anything.
If given the chance that 1 million- 2 million steam players could vote, then sample estimation could have some validation.

Let developers do the best what they can with Divinity Original Sin 2 gameplay which is already proven to be great.

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by cyseal
Guys and gals, this poll doesn't have any meaning at all. 1000 votes sample is not enough to prove anything.
If given the chance that 1 million- 2 million steam players could vote, then sample estimation could have some validation.

It wasn't meant to mean anything. I honestly just posted it because I was curious at every ones preferences. Also, @cyseal @cyseal shiver me timbers and slither me eels.

Originally Posted by Iuris Tantum
You have to compromise the ruleset further to accomodate RTwP playability. Just look at Kingmaker.
They'd be dealing with two combat systems to design and balance, which isn't exactly easy and raises questions like should rule parity between the two be a thing. If they were to opt for rule parity, then the Turn-Based option would come out crippled inevitably by the concessions that have to be made in favour of RTwP.
You have examples of games that attempted both modes and were complete clown fests, like Arcanum and the Might & Magic series.

And what about PoE2? I've not played through much of it in either style, but it seems to work well enough from what I see online. I could see some people dismayed a bit because both the presentation of TB and the graphics in general of PoE2 aren't at the level of D:OS2, but you have to remember Larian will be able to put much more into both those areas for BG3. Without any official info released yet it's hard to picture, but I don't see why anyone wouldn't have confidence in studios this size figuring it out.

Originally Posted by vometia
The developers are seen on the modding forums periodically. I have no idea how much attention they're paying to this particular one.

Well, if you haven't gotten the request already, this is me formally requesting you or another Mod to, ummm... ask them.

Originally Posted by Sordak

Yes, because we should just stay at any one of the OTHER official BG3 forums and spread our nonsense there...

S
veteran
veteran
S
PoE, you mean the game that implemented turn based combat later on because one of the higher ups actually thought it worked better.
PoE is basically a continuation of the ideas of the infinity engine.
It didnt do nearly as well as games with some originality, and i think as far as RTWP games go, Kingmaker is the better pick. There just seems to be more passion behind it.

And yeah, just seems curious. Ever since the announcement, there was a lot of screeching on almost all forums, including 4chan when it came to the combat system and the writing.
Im getting kind of annoyed by it.
For the record, i think were getting something thats neither RTWP or Turn Based.
From what Sven said, im almost certain were getting a real time action combat system with some squad controlls, something like a western dragons dogma.

veteran
veteran
Where do you get that impression from?

I actually preferred PoE2's way of doing it and allowing for both systems being in place.

That being said, I almost always RP a rogue, or DW, or DPS class in any RPG. Unfortunately, many TB games don't lend themselves to a high attack speed, DPS character. If they can balance it in such a way that this is possible, then I'd almost always go for a TB game (being a F1/2 addict).

If that isn't possible, then RTwP is my go to and currently is in PoE2 due to TB not allowing any attack speed class.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard