Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#652990 16/06/19 12:14 AM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I watched an interview that basically said classes and sub classes from the players handbook are in. What about player races? All core races and sub races?

Why so much hush hush on all these things? From the interviews, this game has been in development for at least a year so at least throw us a bone lol.

apprentice
apprentice
They most likely won't be able to add in all the races currently avaliable in 5e. But good bet that most of the traditional ones (that were in BG2 for example), and hopefully the subraces as well (albeit, maybe cut out Drow. Would be really pointless and immersion-breaking if NPCs don't treat you like one).

I hope they can manage to squeeze in Dragonborn and Goliath as well.

B
stranger
stranger
B
Just hoping half-orcs make it in with the ability to multiclass (Monk/Barbarian "Pugilist" ftw!)

enthusiast
enthusiast
All of the core races will be in, it wouldn't be a DND game otherwise.
Dragonborn
Dwarf
Elf
Gnome
Half-Elf
Half-Orc
Halfling
Human
Tiefling

S
veteran
veteran
S
Hoping for all the core races, dont think anything like Volos guide options will be in the pipeline.
If Larian does races they tend to go deep rather than wide.
That beeing said. im a bit on edge here.
I want to avoid a situation like NWN 2 where we have 20 different versions of multicoloured humans.
While Dragonborn tend to not make it into any DnD game at launch.

apprentice
apprentice
First of all, CONGRATULATIONS on getting BG3!!

So, I have played Divinity Original Sin (1) from start to finish and loved it! I got DOS 2 for Christmas (2018) and as of now I just started playing it and I have to say, its very frustrating!

What do I mean, well, there are just TOO many character choices/options to pick and if a error is made, no way to fix that till end of Act 1.
It literary gives me a headache to try and pick a class that can survive Act 1, now maybe I'm a bad player, so be it but a game being played on normal should not give anyone a headache in trying to decide what roles each character should play and trying to get a survivable party together.

Im all in for a open world, be what you want to be , yata yata yata, its all good especially for game PR but we need to be realistic, its a game for people to have FUN
I cant tell you how many times I read, "I had to start all over" so many times because of bad party composition/creation, (hell, I bet even the developers were overwhelmed in trying to keep everything straight in their heads/game). Do you have statistics of how many people actually finished the game?

I watched some of BG/BG2 EE edition and I noticed that it has an AI that can be assigned to each character so that you don't have to micro manage everything, I hope that stays in BG3.

So, bottom line, dont make the game so overwhelming that the dev's are confused, players are confused and everyone gets a headache (yes they buy the game, you get the money but are they being served well?)

On normal difficulty , no one should be confused or get a headache.

The story and exploration (loot yes, everyone likes "shiny toys") should be the main driver of the game (RPG), in my view there should be limited character creation for characters that are in the game already (party members). Only ONE character should have the full scale of character creation, from looks to states), everyone else should have rolls already assigned and ready to go, you use them or not, that's the players choice and every party member should should have a AI that can be assigned to them based on their roll/talents (as in the BG1/2 EE)

I'm still playing DOS2 and I'm getting there but its a slog (just got my collar removed), my party is not op but I am NOT starting over no matter what.

Dont make the Acts so uneven, it should be a even flow act1, 2, 3 (that's if you have Acts in BG3), DON'T expect the player to "steal" everything to get ahead (like in Act 1 of DOS2 and then have everything just about handed to them in Act2/3)

Just my thoughts, if you don't agree, that's fine, I probably did not fully explain my frustration with ACT1 of DOS2, I just hope that BG3 will be "better", I know you can do it Larian!

old hand
old hand
At minium all PHB classes, subclasses, races, and subraces will be in, I feel certain of that.

I think some of VGTM races will be in like Aasimar, Goliaths, maybe, Tabaxi, Yuan Ti Purebloods, ect

Genasai might be in, but I hope the subraces get rebalanced.

Tortles I think will be reserved for a charity DLC like the original Tortle Package was.

Gith I feel fairly certain will be in, because of the Mindflayers.

I read one interview where it hinted at that will be more then just PHB.

All classes are likely in except Artificer and Psion, which don't have finished TTRPG releases yet, they are still in development. Subclasses might be more limited, most PHB will be in, a few might be too mechanically difficult. Some of XGTE subclasses could be in, like Divine Soul Sorcerer and Hexblade Warlock (both extremely popular). Good chance SCAG subclasses are in as they are FR setting specific (Purple Dragon Knight Fighter, Undying Patron Warlock, Storm Magic Sorcerer, Path of the Sun Soul Monk, Oath of the Crown Paladin, Arcane Domain Cleric, Bladesinger Wizard).

S
veteran
veteran
S
what interview hinted at it beeing more than PHB?

old hand
old hand
I'll see if I can find it after work today.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Sordak
what interview hinted at it beeing more than PHB?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wccftech.com/larian-studios-interview-innovating-baldurs-gate-3/amp/

Q: Regarding classes, are you going to strictly include only what D&D features or do you have the freedom to do something a bit more unique?

A: When you start the game, we want you to feel that you’re playing Dungeon and Dragons. So it has to feel familiar, you have to be able to pick the race and class you like. We do have the freedom to do what we like, but there’s already a lot in D&D that’s been added over the years and a lot of this is going to be in there.

A lot of the class stuff added over the years mostly means subclasses and some spells.

deserk #653784 08/07/19 03:06 PM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by deserk
They most likely won't be able to add in all the races currently avaliable in 5e. But good bet that most of the traditional ones (that were in BG2 for example), and hopefully the subraces as well (albeit, maybe cut out Drow. Would be really pointless and immersion-breaking if NPCs don't treat you like one).

I hope they can manage to squeeze in Dragonborn and Goliath as well.

Dragonborn are a PHB race, I would be shocked if they aren't in.

veteran
veteran
They have the sprites for Dragonborn race, the playable ones in DoS. BG3 game will use Divinity Engine 4.0 so I think it is a safe bet. Dwarves, humans, elves, surely will be there too.

S
veteran
veteran
S
No way they will reuse divinty assets, people would sperg out so hard you wouldnt believe it

Sordak #653799 09/07/19 12:02 AM
old hand
old hand
No way they will reuse divinty assets, people would sperg out so hard you wouldnt believe it

They've already said BG 3 looks very different then Divinty games and pointed to the trailer.

_Vic_ #653800 09/07/19 12:12 AM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by _Vic_
They have the sprites for Dragonborn race, the playable ones in DoS. BG3 game will use Divinity Engine 4.0 so I think it is a safe bet. Dwarves, humans, elves, surely will be there too.

They will be, not because they are in Divinity, because FR Elves and Dwarves look different. And Divinity had Lizards, not Draginborn, Lizards are more like Lizardfolk in D&D, both of which like different from Divinity Lizards. And they've said BG 3 will look different Divinity.

But you are right that all these races will be in, but its because they are in the PHB and any race in the PHB is basically a lock, so Humans, Human Variants, Wild Elves, High Elves, Drow, Hill Dwarves, Mountain Dwarves, Lightfoot Halflings, Stout Halflings, Forest Gnomes, Rock Gnomes, Half Orcs, Half Elves, Tieflings, Dragonborn will all be safely in because they are in the PHB, Dragonborn are seen as a core race now, they are even covered by the OGL for 5e.

That doesn't mean BG 3 will only have PHB races, it just means those races are a very safe bet.

S
veteran
veteran
S
tbh Divinity Lizards are moe like dnD dragonborn.
they are descendant from dragons, can breathe fire, have a militaristic and advanced civilization.
Pretty much the same is true for Tymanther Dragonborn in FR, besides the whole "Magic slavery" part, i guess the Lizards in Divinity are like a mixture of FR Dragonborn and Drow. (or TES dunmer)

DnD Lizardfolk have bareley any lore, they are swamp hillbillies worshipping the god of cultural stagnation.

but yeah, Dragonborn look different (tho i hope they dont look like huge dwarves with dragon heads because i always thoguht that looked silly)

Sordak #653826 09/07/19 06:48 PM
old hand
old hand
tbh Divinity Lizards are moe like dnD dragonborn.
they are descendant from dragons, can breathe fire, have a militaristic and advanced civilization.
Pretty much the same is true for Tymanther Dragonborn in FR, besides the whole "Magic slavery" part, i guess the Lizards in Divinity are like a mixture of FR Dragonborn and Drow. (or TES dunmer)

DnD Lizardfolk have bareley any lore, they are swamp hillbillies worshipping the god of cultural stagnation.

but yeah, Dragonborn look different (tho i hope they dont look like huge dwarves with dragon heads because i always thoguht that looked silly)

Actually in FR Lizardfolk have a lot of lore it's just that it's tied to the creator race the Sarrukh and the other scalyfolk races that the Sarrukh created. Lizardfolk are often in swamp or desert tribes on their own, the Swamp Hillbies as it were, but they can also be found serving Sarrukh, Yuan Ti, or Nagas in more complex societies or being lead by part demonic Lizardfolk Kings for a more evil tribes.

Still I've never played Divinty games, so I didn't know the background of the Lizards. Appearance wise they still don't look like Dragonborn.

Last edited by Omegaphallic; 09/07/19 06:50 PM.
S
veteran
veteran
S
i know the FR lore about the Sarrukh, but for the specific race of "Lizardfolk" specifically around the area of the Swordcoast, this is irrelevant.
The lizardfolk around the Swordcoast follow Semuanya and are stagnant swamp hillbillies.

In the area around the Swordcoast, the most interresting scalykind race are probably the Asabi since they do in fact serve Sarrukh Liches and are also spread around as mercenaries.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard